Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 857039 times)

Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #1500 on: 05 July, 2011, 05:56:52 pm »
I quite like that idea.  The advertising potential of finger food has barely been tapped.  What next - flyers with your vol-au-vents? ;)

Perhaps this ebay seller has a similar idea...

Brompton Bike With Pannini  | eBay UK
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Grammar what makes you cringe
« Reply #1501 on: 05 July, 2011, 07:33:25 pm »
Collective nouns cause endless arguments: "The government are..." (seems to be preferred by the BBC), vs " The government is".
Fowler (Author of "Modern English Usage") had great fun with this; it's not just the variant of English in use, but the particular GOVERNMENT!  The US Government is singular, whereas the UK Government are plural.  (I might have that completely the wrong way round.  I'll re-post this when I next have a copy of Fowler in front of me.)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1502 on: 05 July, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
I quite like that idea.  The advertising potential of finger food has barely been tapped.  What next - flyers with your vol-au-vents? ;)

Brompton Bike With Pannini  | eBay UK

Best not to type your advert when you are hungry ;D
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1503 on: 05 July, 2011, 08:12:18 pm »
Collective nouns cause endless arguments: "The government are..." (seems to be preferred by the BBC), vs " The government is".
Fowler (Author of "Modern English Usage") had great fun with this; it's not just the variant of English in use, but the particular GOVERNMENT!  The US Government is singular, whereas the UK Government are plural.  (I might have that completely the wrong way round.  I'll re-post this when I next have a copy of Fowler in front of me.)

In my view, seems to be a general British thing.  I believe I may have ranted about this before.

UK: the government are, the team are, Nasa are, etc.
US: the government is, the team is, NASA is, etc.

'Government/team' is a collective, so singular; 'ministers/player' are plural.  Simple, no?

Then again, what do I know? English isn't my first language and I learned it in a former colony.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1504 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:19:58 pm »

In my view, seems to be a general British thing.  I believe I may have ranted about this before.

'Government/team' is a collective, so singular; 'ministers/player' are plural.  Simple, no?

Then again, what do I know? English isn't my first language and I learned it in a former colony.

I think it's relatively recent in this country. I'm sure I remember my English teachers dismissing the collective plural as illiterate.

« Reply #1505 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:38:31 pm »
I'm with HTFB with on 'a number of'. It's the equivalent of 'some', 'many' or 'numerous' etc.  And if you replace 'a number of' with one of those then the plural becomes the obvious choice.
That's because the subject in the original is the number. If you replace it as you suggest, you leave the only noun as the cyclists. Thus you have gone from a singular noun (number) to a plural one (cyclists), and "is" has to become "are".

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1506 on: 05 July, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »

That gives you the great advantage over most of us of having actually learned it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

iakobski

« Reply #1507 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »

Windows are closing
Windows is closing down...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1508 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:28:47 pm »

No, I don't think it's quite as simple as that. You have to consider the sense of the noun as well as whether it's literally singular or plural.

When you use team names, especially in the context of commentary, you're using the name as a kind of shorthand*, eg: "Liverpool score against Man United" = "The players of Liverpool FC score against the players of Man United FC."

d.

*Is this an example of metonymy? I'm never quite sure.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #1509 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:38:29 pm »

No, I don't think it's quite as simple as that. You have to consider the sense of the noun as well as whether it's literally singular or plural.

When you use team names, especially in the context of commentary, you're using the name as a kind of shorthand*, eg: "Liverpool score against Man United" = "The players of Liverpool FC score against the players of Man United FC."

d.

*Is this an example of metonymy? I'm never quite sure.

To my eyes, there's a whole separate issue there.  Does Liverpool always score against ManU?  Sometimes?  Will they in the future? Or are we referring to an event in the past?  If so, "Liverpool scored against ManU". 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1510 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:41:31 pm »
That's an entirely correct usage of the Footballers Present Tense.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #1511 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:48:49 pm »
Does Liverpool always score against ManU?

Only in my dreams...

d.

Simonb

« Reply #1512 on: 06 July, 2011, 12:58:07 pm »

Newspaper headlines also report events (past events, obviously) in the present tense. It gives them immediacy.

« Reply #1513 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:11:25 pm »
In answer to whatever the original question was:-

Quote from: http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxanumbe.html
"A number of ..." usually requires a plural verb.  In "A number
of employees were present", it's the employees who were present, not
the number.  "A number of" is just a fuzzy quantifier.  ("A number
of..." may need a singular in the much rarer contexts where it does
not function as a quantifier:  "A number of this magnitude requires
5 bytes to store.")

citoyen

« Reply #1515 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:31:06 pm »
Tbh, I'm not dogmatic about one way being correct and another way being wrong. But I am a stickler for consistency...

Does Liverpool always score against ManU?  Sometimes?  Will they in the future?

You should either use "do" in the first instance or "it" in the second.  ;)

d.

Andrij

• Андрій
« Reply #1516 on: 06 July, 2011, 01:32:20 pm »
Tbh, I'm not dogmatic about one way being correct and another way being wrong. But I am a stickler for consistency...

Does Liverpool always score against ManU?  Sometimes?  Will they in the future?

You should either use "do" in the first instance or "it" in the second.

d.

Touché.   It should, of course, be 'it'.

iakobski

« Reply #1517 on: 06 July, 2011, 02:08:45 pm »

Brompton Bike With Pannini  | eBay UK

Best not to type your advert when you are hungry ;D

Same root though - pannier = thing to carry your bread in.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1518 on: 06 July, 2011, 06:51:12 pm »

« Reply #1519 on: 06 July, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Grammar that makes you cringe.
« Reply #1520 on: 09 July, 2011, 06:33:43 pm »
Fed up of? Fed up with, surely?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1521 on: 09 July, 2011, 07:01:27 pm »
Ah, like Pirate Present Tense.
 ;D
Might I humbly suggest that you mean:

Aarrrrrhh, like Pirate Present Tense.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1522 on: 13 July, 2011, 06:09:20 pm »
Ed Milliband needs a new script-writer.  He now uses "people up and down the country" in practically every statement.  Whilst this has always been a staple of Labour politicians, he really is taking it's use to absurd new lengths.
The sound of one pannier flapping

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #1523 on: 13 July, 2011, 06:57:09 pm »
Ow!
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #1524 on: 13 July, 2011, 07:04:17 pm »
All politicians seem to assume that most people agree with them. Since that's mathematically difficult to achieve, it proves their ability to believe at least one impossible thing before breakfast.

However, it is not particularly edifying to watch debates where this argument is rolled out.