Author Topic: Powerpoint 2007 Font Character Spacing  (Read 1070 times)

ed_o_brain

Powerpoint 2007 Font Character Spacing
« on: 02 October, 2011, 12:31:06 pm »
I have Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2007 installed on 2 different PCs. On one PC the fonts appear fine. On the other PC, the characters are too close together.

It doesn't seem to matter whether you are opening an existing presentation, or starting a new one. Nor does it matter which font you use. I have tried changing the character spacing to loose, but and although it does make the font readable, it still looks awful.

Both versions are fully up to date. I'm tempted to try uninstalling/reinstalling.

Thanks in advance for anyone able to shed light on this.

ian

Re: Powerpoint 2007 Font Character Spacing
« Reply #1 on: 02 October, 2011, 12:56:30 pm »
One of the worst things about PowerPoint is it's horrid resolution-independent rendering engine. It's purposefully designed to cause ocular offence. In this respect, PP presentations look better on some displays than others. It's all relative, they look awful on everything. But you get some letters bumping up against each other like young lovers, others shuffling apart like they've recently been divorced aften ten years spent arguing and throwing domestic appliances at one another. It's horrible to see and the reason I use Keynote. The results look like they involved a grownup rather than a kid with cut-out letters and glue.

Anyway, you may get some milage changing screen resolution for presentations.

Sometimes font issues can cause problems. Try uninstalling and reinstalling known good fonts.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #2 on: 02 October, 2011, 09:49:05 pm »
Thanks Ian.
Choice an size of font appear to make no difference. I've used two different resolutions and will try a couple more.
I read a suggestion somewhere about changing printer...

Interestingly the issue affects the text in the notes too.

I'll have a look at Keynote as an alternative.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 02 October, 2011, 10:05:24 pm »
Yes, very worthwhile changing printer, or uninstalling and reinstalling the current one.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 02 October, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
Keynote is a Mac application. I always hated PowerPoint and I hated it even more when I discovered Keynote.

The only thing going for PowerPoint is that it isn't quite as bad as Publisher.
It is simpler than it looks.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2011, 05:58:37 am »
Yes, very worthwhile changing printer, or uninstalling and reinstalling the current one.

Uninstalling the printer worked!!
I know have fonts with the correct spacing.

The default printer was a dye-sublimination printer configured to produce 5"x7" prints.

Keynote is a Mac application. I always hated PowerPoint and I hated it even more when I discovered Keynote.

The only thing going for PowerPoint is that it isn't quite as bad as Publisher.

Don't think I'm quite ready to put a Mac on the shopping list yet! I'll keep it in mind though!
One of the people I regularly work with is a Mac user... and although the display's are great (much better than any of my PC laptops) I don't find it easy to use at all.

When the business becomes profitable, I'd love one of these for image editing: http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC914?mco=MTY4Nzc0NzM

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2011, 08:59:21 am »
They are gorgeous. However they have a glossy screen and so are probably useless for photo editing. I'd hankered after one of the previous models for when one of my 23" failed.
It is simpler than it looks.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »
In a darkened room (where I do most my editing) the glossy screen doesn't matter  :thumbsup:
A fellow tog uses one.. well probably a previous incarnation ... and having so much more displayed on screen at 100% crop really speeds things up.

Academic for me just now though...