Author Topic: [LEL17] Checkpoint Question  (Read 4138 times)

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
[LEL17] Checkpoint Question
« on: 14 December, 2016, 02:55:24 pm »
It will be a first time LEL for me , and I have a quick question concerning the number of times I can have food at those controls where I intend having an extended stop for sleep.  For instance, on arrival at the control can I get a meal and then shower/sleep/change kit etc, and then have more food before heading out again.  Or, are riders only allowed 1 meal at a control during their stay there whether they have it upon arrival or before departure.

Cheers
PX Paul

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Checkpoint Question
« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2016, 05:59:37 pm »
Feed at the trough! - no limit
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2016, 08:00:23 pm »
Feed at the trough! - no limit
which is the reasn why, in 2013, I finished a couple of kg heavier than my starting weight !

« Reply #3 on: 14 December, 2016, 10:05:46 pm »
...and why I thought I'd finally be able to fit into the LEL jersey on the return leg; fat chance!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2016, 10:59:18 pm »
I was involved with the Kirton control last time & it wasn't uncommon for riders to arrive late evening eat, shower sleep get up eat breakfast & then depart around 5 when it was light again

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 15 December, 2016, 05:48:16 pm »
That's fine Paul. Food before you sleep can work its wonders whilst you rest then something when you awake to see you on your way.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2016, 01:56:43 pm »
There's always the question of how many Wetherspoons can be visited  ;D, at least on LEL, the craving for a full English/Scottish breakfast can be satisfied between about 08:00 and 21:00. How the French, bless'em, built a culture and empire on croissants is beyond me  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 18 December, 2016, 08:02:28 pm »
There's always the question of how many Wetherspoons can be visited  ;D, at least on LEL, the craving for a full English/Scottish breakfast can be satisfied between about 08:00 and 21:00. How the French, bless'em, built a culture and empire on croissants is beyond me  ;)

I reckon they got grumpy by about 11am......
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #8 on: 18 December, 2016, 08:09:19 pm »
How the French, bless'em, built a culture and empire on croissants is beyond me  ;)

I think they built their empire at a time where breakfasts were more substantials. Croissants are a more recent fashion!

« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2016, 04:43:54 pm »
Croissants are iirc a Turkish invention

« Reply #10 on: 21 December, 2016, 04:52:49 pm »
The shape of a croissant is  part of the Turkish flag, but edible croissants are an Austrian invention, allegedly devised by Viennese bakers after an Austrian victory over Ottoman army  :)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 22 December, 2016, 08:12:54 pm »
From 30th July - 3rd August 2017, I'll mostly be eating, erm...everything put in front of me though, regardless of  history or nationality.  ;D

But if I get a craving, I'll go off-piste in search of it...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 22 December, 2016, 08:54:08 pm »
If you get a craving, I'd be interested to know for what it is, to educate myself and others.
Can you tell us, please?

I will start a 'cravings' thread on the main Audax board.

« Reply #13 on: 22 December, 2016, 09:30:51 pm »
It's always worth brushing up on your French for conversations with continental riders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hrUGFhsXo

Alston's one of the best places for croissants, with two supermarkets on the route doing fresh-baked ones.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 23 December, 2016, 10:11:34 am »
In Cambridgeshire, you might happen upon a bakery that makes the local delicacy known as an 'Elephant's Footprint', [they call them 'Yorkies' in Essex] - basically a pain-aux-raisin, or maybe an Eccles Cake, squashed flat to about 10-12 inches round and baked crisp.

« Reply #15 on: 23 December, 2016, 05:21:21 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 23 December, 2016, 09:27:38 pm »
In Cambridgeshire, you might happen upon a bakery that makes the local delicacy known as an 'Elephant's Footprint', [they call them 'Yorkies' in Essex] - basically a pain-aux-raisin, or maybe an Eccles Cake, squashed flat to about 10-12 inches round and baked crisp.

Does it roll up to put in a back pocket or top tube bag? Working on the one-for-now one-for-later theory.