Author Topic: [LEL17] Garmin memory card  (Read 1720 times)

[LEL17] Garmin memory card
« on: 28 July, 2017, 11:24:01 pm »
Hello, I bought a new 32 gb Sandisk ultra memory card. I put the routes there, then I insert the card to my Garmin edge 1000, but there are no routes found. Could you please help me - how do you do that?

Thanks!

Re: Garmin memory card
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2017, 11:25:39 pm »
Where on the memory card did you put the files?
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2017, 12:30:33 am »
Where on the memory card did you put the files?

There were no folders, so I put straight to the card (did not create any folder).

« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2017, 01:40:16 am »
If it's anything like the Etrex, you need to create the same folders on the memory card as already exist on the Garmin itself, and put the files in the right one.

On the Etrex, it's something like /Garmin/GPX - but I am pretty sure it's a different naming convention for the Edge.

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2017, 06:36:37 am »
As Mr jsabine says - there has to be a folder structure.

I've just checked my Garmin GPSMAP64 and the folder structure is also /garmin/GPS/  however the Garmin might also expect other folders to exist for it to function properly...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2017, 07:26:04 am »
Does the Garmin offer the option to format your memory card? It might create the structure for you - but you'll need to copy the files back to the Garmin after formatting. The folder to put your routes in us called 'New Files'. I'm sorry this isn't very detailed help. :(

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2017, 07:35:17 am »
You need /GARMIN/.  Inside that you need NewFiles.  You may also need to set up all the other directories, or your Garmin will do it for you, I'm not sure.

To be clear, these are the directories from the MicroSD card in my Garmin 1000:

You place new GPX/TCX tracks into the NewFiles directory and then, when you turn your Garmin on, during the "Loading Maps" phase, your Garmin converts these to .fit files in the Courses directory and deletes the GPX/TCX files from NewFiles.  Therefore to later remove a course from your Garmin, delete the corresponding .fit file from Courses.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #7 on: 29 July, 2017, 08:19:22 am »
I will have a laptop during registration today. I'll help, if poss, to get your Garmin programmed.

Just look for the chap wearing either the bowler hat or the pith helmet.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2017, 08:42:49 am »
I think if the Garmin is missing any directories on the card, it will create them during boot-up.  So at the very least there should be a   /Garmin/   direcory.
For an Edge, put the GPX/TCX files in   /Garmin/NewFiles/   as wilkyboy describes.
For most other Garmins including Etrex 20/30, put the GPX files (TCX won't work) in   /Garmin/GPX/

But my preference, certainly for the Etrex, would be to put the files on the device itself (same folder structure), and not on the card - though in theory either location is equally good.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2017, 10:28:26 am »
Maybe a silly question but will the Garmin cope with a 32gb card. I use a 16gb card with no problems.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo