Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL Route, GPX, Route Sheets.  (Read 23078 times)

Phil W

[LEL17] LEL Route, GPX, Route Sheets.
« on: 26 September, 2016, 08:01:00 pm »
The LEL 2017 Route, including maps, GPX and routesheets can be found at

https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route/

Re: LEL Route, GPX, Route Sheets.
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2016, 08:36:48 pm »
The current set will do the job for planning, but are now several months old. There have been/will be a lot of minor changes, which I'll do in one big update probably early next year.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:39:59 pm »
looking forward to a test of the St Ives leg northwards sometime
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2016, 11:33:56 am »
Some amends not on the current files:

- Slightly longer route around Spalding, cutting out a tedious and confusing route through the town centre.
- A new route near Kirton to avoid a maze of rutted, unmarked roads.
- New controls at Barnard Castle and Innerleithen, new facilities at Alston.
- Free routing over the Humber bridge.

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2016, 12:01:02 pm »
There have been/will be a lot of minor changes

I'll planning a ride for next month, including a routecheck of the St Ives to Great Easton (so southbound) leg.

Are there any changes I should be aware of? Or indeed anything you'd like me to specifically check?

Phil W

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2016, 02:05:57 pm »
There have been/will be a lot of minor changes

I'll planning a ride for next month, including a routecheck of the St Ives to Great Easton (so southbound) leg.

Are there any changes I should be aware of? Or indeed anything you'd like me to specifically check?

Should be alright for that section in the next month. Just the usual, check route sheet and / or GPX for mistakes, feedback on route, anything new that has turned up and may improve or degrade the route. For instance if a road feels really rough, or a sign post if missing, or a new super duper 6 lane cycle highway with no junctions appears between St Ives and Great Easton.  Always useful noting villages with open shops or pubs along the route. (these won't go in any route sheet but good to generally share).

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2016, 03:58:37 pm »
OK, cool, will do.

« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2016, 10:18:49 pm »
How much modification of the route published on the website is envisaged?. Is it worth me whiling away my winter months studying the route and making tracks/routes for each leg, or will it change and make my toil wasted?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 28 November, 2016, 10:23:04 pm »
How much modification of the route published on the website is envisaged?. Is it worth me whiling away my winter months studying the route and making tracks/routes for each leg, or will it change and make my toil wasted?

It's already split down by leg, no need to do it yourself.

« Reply #9 on: 29 November, 2016, 08:47:33 pm »
I mean more turning them into navigable turn by turn routes suitable for my etrex30. (I am a lazy git and don't like duplicating effort :) )
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 30 November, 2016, 04:17:00 pm »
I mean more turning them into navigable turn by turn routes suitable for my etrex30. (I am a lazy git and don't like duplicating effort :) )

Ah I see, there's proposed changes between St Ives and Louth which aren't yet in the website version.  No other changes I'm aware of at the moment but final revisions will probably be in the Spring.  So by all means study the legs but hold back from creating your routes just yet.  Not that creating routes from an existing track takes that long, but if you can hold back it'll save you some rework.

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #11 on: 07 May, 2017, 03:37:39 pm »
I'm someone without any GPS.
I usually memorise route and use route sheet, town names as much as possible. In unavoidable situations, I take help of google maps. In few brevets, where there are many twists and turns, I loaded offline maps in ride with gps and survived.

Anyway, primary thing in my riding style is knowing town names along the route. It will help me to enquire anyone along the route, without completely getting lost.

So can I get some help with important/ main town or village names in between each stage ?
i.e for example, I came to know from Danial's post in fb that route from Brampton to Moffat passes through Ecclefechan and Lockerbie.

P.s : I can get them from map, but I do no know which town name will lead me ahead with confusing person whom I'm asking !
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

« Reply #12 on: 07 May, 2017, 10:29:23 pm »
On the route sheet, towns and villages that we pass through are in ALL CAPITALS - if you go off route, heading to the next one should help you get back on course.

Not all such towns are listed though - just ones where there's a route instruction, or which appear on a direction sign.

« Reply #13 on: 07 May, 2017, 11:05:53 pm »
So can I get some help with important/ main town or village names in between each stage ?
i.e for example, I came to know from Danial's post in fb that route from Brampton to Moffat passes through Ecclefechan and Lockerbie.

P.s : I can get them from map, but I do no know which town name will lead me ahead with confusing person whom I'm asking !

It may be worth downloading the GPS route on the LEL site and then upload them to ridewithgps.com to follow the route and see what places the ride goes through.

You can then highlight the larger places on your route sheet.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:32:11 am »
So can I get some help...

Overseas riders will of course benefit from help from the locals, in advance [like here] or on the ride - so look out for our guests, people!

Quote from an Irish rider, discussing the route sheet for The Flatlands 2014: 'You've got a lot of roads here, Tom', and on another ride, a Canadian: '150km, turn R, 150km turn R...repeat, is our typical 600'.

Navigating by road signs alone is very dodgy here, as it's ridiculously inconsistent, unlike in logical-minded France. The excuse is, it's a deliberate attempt to confuse invaders. See 'The Rolling English Road' by GK Chesterton for a poetic exposition of the erm....creative nature of the British in relation to navigation.

« Reply #15 on: 08 May, 2017, 11:10:20 am »
Navigating by road signs alone is very dodgy here

Quite. Most road signs will attempt to send you via the most direct route, which is probably an A road and not suitable for cycling.

« Reply #16 on: 08 May, 2017, 11:33:57 am »
It may be worth downloading the GPS route on the LEL site and then upload them to ridewithgps.com to follow the route and see what places the ride goes through.

The route is also available to browse on the LEL website.

You'll note that apart from the control towns, the route mostly manages to run the whole length of the country without going through anywhere.

« Reply #17 on: 11 May, 2017, 09:42:21 pm »
So can I get some help...

Overseas riders will of course benefit from help from the locals, in advance [like here] or on the ride - so look out for our guests, people!

Quote from an Irish rider, discussing the route sheet for The Flatlands 2014: 'You've got a lot of roads here, Tom', and on another ride, a Canadian: '150km, turn R, 150km turn R...repeat, is our typical 600'.

Navigating by road signs alone is very dodgy here, as it's ridiculously inconsistent, unlike in logical-minded France. The excuse is, it's a deliberate attempt to confuse invaders. See 'The Rolling English Road' by GK Chesterton for a poetic exposition of the erm....creative nature of the British in relation to navigation.

A clear example of this in your manor Tom.....on the southbound leg from St.Ives/Gt. Easton @km 67, riders may be tempted to follow the road sign to Gt. Easton instead of the route sheet instruction to Tilty...not a heinous error, but could be very confusing in the dark
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #18 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:48:02 am »
Could anyone explain why the route Barnard Castle to Middleton (Northbound) is different to the route Middleton to Barnard Castle (Southbound)? I'm sure some thought was put into this, so just wondering.

« Reply #19 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:31:00 pm »
Could anyone explain why the route Barnard Castle to Middleton (Northbound) is different to the route Middleton to Barnard Castle (Southbound)? I'm sure some thought was put into this, so just wondering.

Just for a bit of variety?
If you prefer one over the other, there's nothing to stop you going out & back along the same route

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #20 on: 12 May, 2017, 06:10:07 pm »
Yep, that caught me by surprise, and I'm the Barnard Castle controller! Glad I looked at the routesheet and gpx files before we marked the route.

Danial has an answer for everything and there's sure to be a good reason for it, and the route from last time didn't take you past the castle (this time the southbound leg does)
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #21 on: 12 May, 2017, 07:29:18 pm »
Usually it's because reversing the route could mean a junction that's:
* easy to describe going one way (e.g. Left at T-Junction) but tricky going the other way (17th right, not signposted)
* safe with good sight lines going one way but horrible going the other way (e.g. turning right on a blind corner or on a fast road)
etc.

What works one way doesn't necessarily work the other way on a routesheet. Those who just download a GPX to their Garmin and follow the purple line may be oblivious to all this.

I haven't looked at the LEL route to have a guess as to why it's different. As others have said, it may just be for a bit of variety.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #22 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:19:50 pm »
On our Easter Arrow, eck otp opined why the route went one way from Middleton to BC when the sign at the junction pointed the other way (the route had been devised for a previous Arrow by a different esteemed Audax Ecossais otp). On returning to FurryBootToon I checked both options on RideWithGPS. It seems the sign-posted route is slightly shorter but has a fair bit more climbing.

« Reply #23 on: 17 July, 2017, 07:06:10 am »
Quite a few areas of the routesheet are shaded pink and I cannot see any mention in the guide. The only hit I got on Google was MarcusJB suggesting that we should be wearing pink ra ra skirts at Brampton  ???

Does this signify sections that are signed ?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #24 on: 17 July, 2017, 07:40:58 am »

If I recall correctly, in 2009 there was a different southbound route through BC which avoided dipping down to that messy junction by the bridge.  (At least, I took a different route, even if no one else did  :))
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?