Author Topic: Watchmen Director's Cut  (Read 1183 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Watchmen Director's Cut
« on: 16 July, 2010, 12:36:35 am »
Has anyone seen this?

There are two alternate cuts doing the rounds, the 'Director's cut' and the 'Ultimate cut', the latter only available in the US.

I understand that the latter only folds in the Tales of the Black Freighter stuff, the animation style of which I hated so am not bothered about.

So, if anyone has seen the Director's cut, is it any good?

Probably worth pointing out that this is a fanboy question, I liked the theatrical cut but missed some of the scenes that were excised, particularly the death of the first Nite Owl.  What I want to know from anyone that has seen the later cuts is, do they work better as films?

My main reason for curiosity is that the Director's Cut is BluRay only in the UK and I have been resisting Blu Ray on general principles.  If the longer cut of this is worth it I might be interested though (I haz a PS3 so I can play it, I'm just not interested in replacing X number of DVDs where X is a ridiculous number.  In fact, after having replaced pretty much all of my stupidly large VHS film collection with DVD and having decided to largely bypass Blu Ray, next format change I'm just going to download/steal it.  Two format changes in one lifetime are enough from my POV (especially as: 1: 3D does not work with my monocular-but-sniper-friendly vision problems; 2: I'm already too fucking old to appreciate all these clarity benefits they are claiming for new TVs.  These being the clarity benefits we lost after the switch from high quality CRT TVs)).

/preachy arse.

(if I'm going to buy anything on Blu Ray, it's going to be Blade Runner)

Flying_Monkey

Re: Watchmen Director's Cut
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2010, 03:31:00 pm »
Sorry, I couldn't see the point of Watchmen. It didn't add anything interesting to the original graphic novel apart from a conventionalised ending that misunderstood the entire thing.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2010, 05:58:54 pm »
I think there were things that worked and things that didn't in both the original graphic novel and the film version.  I thought that the changed ending worked better in some ways (as a film) than the ending in the graphic novel, ultimately it's personal taste though.  I thought it was a more intelligent way than I was expecting of explaining and dealing with the effects of Dr Manhattan on the Cold War.

Some people never wanted it filmed, Alan Moore most especially.  I respect his POV while not agreeing with him 100%.

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2010, 08:55:58 pm »
The written end would have fallen flat on screen plus you would have to vector in the additional back story of the comedian finding the island and the how the team of scientists and artist got there to an already cluttered on screen presentation of the story, the ending used put the same point across just as well.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2010, 06:38:06 pm »
I think there were things that worked and things that didn't in both the original graphic novel and the film version. 

For the most part, I think it's because the director lacked the courage to do anything too different other than heighten the violence. It was almost too respectful for the most part, yet somehow completely didn't get it. And I really wanted it to be good too (and also disagreed with Alan Moore at the time). I know what you mean about the graphic novel too - I don't think it's quite as brilliant as some people say - I don't even like Dave Gibbons' artwork that much!

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2010, 02:05:48 pm »
Er......am I the only one to read "Director's Cut" and immediately think of Dr Manahtten's.......

I have my coat

Tim

« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2010, 09:40:18 am »
Kathy has the director's cut. You're welcome to come by for a video evening.

The ultimate cut doesn't get great reviews and is only suitable for fanboy completeness, generally after owning the dierctor's cut. The blu-ray is [supposedly] not region encoded so don't worry about the global location of your supplier.

Jakob

« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2010, 05:34:08 am »
I have the directors cut and think it's much improved.
I'm a fan of the original graphic novel and was quite happy to work on a few (uncredited) shots on the movie. (Rorschach chopping the pedophile murderer to bits..I did the blood :P).
3rd time around, I've now accepted the new ending..in fact, I never quite liked the idea of alien monsters in the original one.

I think this movie is easily the best comic-book movie of all time and it'll stand the test of time as well.

« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2010, 08:01:59 am »
I hope you've added yourself to the credits at IMDB though, eh, Jakob?

Jakob

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2010, 08:53:31 am »
I hope you've added yourself to the credits at IMDB though, eh, Jakob?

Nah, not for 1 weeks work. I think too many people are abusing the 'uncredited' on IMDB as as it is.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2010, 03:29:10 pm »
I have the directors cut and think it's much improved.
I'm a fan of the original graphic novel and was quite happy to work on a few (uncredited) shots on the movie. (Rorschach chopping the pedophile murderer to bits..I did the blood :P).
3rd time around, I've now accepted the new ending..in fact, I never quite liked the idea of alien monsters in the original one.

I think this movie is easily the best comic-book movie of all time and it'll stand the test of time as well.

I would have agreed with you until I saw Kick-Ass, which, well, kicks ass  ;)