Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858423 times)

fuzzy

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #500 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:53:42 pm »
That I am considered to be totally wrong by some staff at the school. The other day there was an all staff meeting in the hall. Towards the end of the arrival phase, one of the staff snuck in at the back, trying to hide a small box of caeks. They failed to hide them from me. Of the 157 people in the hall, for a while only two people knew of the presence of the caeks- the barer and me. The others didn't understand how I could detect caek from the other side of a very well populated hall.

They failed to grasp the significace of the fact that I had spent 6 years in the army, 26 and a bit years in the police and that I was a practicing cyclist. "Hmmmm, strong the caek radar in this one is"

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #501 on: 27 April, 2015, 02:03:41 pm »
1. That when planning a journey between two London railway stations, it is best to look at the booking rather than rely on one's memory for the starting/ending location.
2. When you have given up on the GPS and are using The ForceTM, try not to let a small sporting event cause a disruption in The Force
3. When planning a journey via GPS in a region not previously explored, ensure that the mapping for said region is actually installed on the GPS.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #502 on: 28 April, 2015, 12:02:19 am »
1) That a 24" cast iron pipe might well act as a very nice waveguide for Wifi signals from a wifi enabled camera
2) that I'm not sure if it will or not
3) that I really don't know enough hardcore Electrical Engineering and Physics to be sure.
4) that I will have to wait for the weekend to find out and it will bug me all week.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #503 on: 29 April, 2015, 06:53:37 pm »
That Don Nix wrote blues/rock standard "Going Down" after falling out of a window :o
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #504 on: 08 May, 2015, 07:54:01 pm »
That the voice introducing the instruments on Tubular Bells (you know, that bit) is Vivian Stanshall's.  One of those things that's obvious when you know it.

« Reply #505 on: 09 May, 2015, 08:34:02 pm »
That about 28% of UK government debt, or about £400 million, is owed by the government to itself. But it's still counted as debt.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #506 on: 13 May, 2015, 10:08:54 am »
That you can buy second hand bridges.. http://www.bridgesforsale.co.uk/
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #507 on: 13 May, 2015, 10:41:44 am »
I wonder how many times a day someone tries to list London or Tower bridge?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #508 on: 13 May, 2015, 11:08:56 am »
That very recently-roasted coffee does better in a moka pot than coffee roasted a week ago. Bugger.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #510 on: 15 May, 2015, 10:40:30 am »
That there are up to 12 levels of underground city beneath Moscow.
http://spirit-of-moscow.com/The%20Diggers.shtml

Some of is undoubtedly true — even obvious — such as people living in underground railway tunnels, some of it seems quite plausible, like underground military installations, but the subterranean monks do seem a bit far-fetched.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #511 on: 15 May, 2015, 11:35:46 am »
From Before Arnold Bros?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #512 on: 15 May, 2015, 11:44:16 am »
More like a rather shadowy Russian group of urban explorers. In fact, they're digging as we speak - down to 15 levels and an 18th-century mass suicide pool now!
http://kikistrikeny.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/moscows-diggers-of-underground-planet.html

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #513 on: 15 May, 2015, 08:45:52 pm »
That there is such a thing as a 'mushy pea fritter' - might just be a Brizzle thing - and now of course I HAVE TO TRY ONE!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #514 on: 15 May, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »
That the voice introducing the instruments on Tubular Bells (you know, that bit) is Vivian Stanshall's.  One of those things that's obvious when you know it.
Pretty sure he's credited on the album sleeve as "Master of Ceremonies".
Alan Rickman fills in on Tubular Bells II due to Viv being indisposed on account of being dead.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #515 on: 17 May, 2015, 11:19:00 am »
That Lothar Malskat was a real person, that Hansi Knoteck only died two years ago (at the age of 99) and that there really was a film called The Merry Petrol Station.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #516 on: 22 May, 2015, 07:50:52 pm »
Deal has a cycle repair shop.  It's been trading since 1978.  It's only taken me 27 or so years to find it.  Mind you MrsLurker is a local and she didn't know about it.

Details if you're interested: http://www.curwenscyclerepairs.co.uk/

Had a natter with Mr. Curwen, seems like a decent chap. Frame resprays done as well, but you might want to wait a bit tho' as his preferred sprayer has just retired and he's currently got a couple of frames with a company in Sandwich (not Lock's - someone on the trading estate) to see if they're up to snuff.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #517 on: 29 May, 2015, 01:33:29 pm »
That digital music sales overtook CDs last year. I assumed that had happened at least five years ago.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #518 on: 29 May, 2015, 01:39:13 pm »
That CDs aren't digital music, apparently...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #519 on: 29 May, 2015, 01:42:36 pm »
! :o ! ;) ! ::-) ! :thumbsup: !
It's not even sales, TBF, it's income.
After more than a decade of decline, worldwide CD income was finally surpassed by digital music revenues last year.
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/may/28/how-the-compact-disc-lost-its-shine

In the context, it's clear. CDs are tangible.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #520 on: 29 May, 2015, 01:55:13 pm »
In the context, it's clear. CDs are tangible.

Not even that:  CDs are read-only, non-volatile and the data is uncompressed and unencrypted.  Those are all pretty desirable features when paying $evilco for some music, even if you're just going to rip it and stick it in a box as a backup.  That you get cover artwork is a fringe benefit, cancelled out by the low storage density.

But the way people listen to music changed.  You don't really have a record collection any more, you just summon up a track from the cloud as the whim dictates.  Be it through iTunes, Spotify or Youtube.

Remember when software came with real paper manuals, and the first thing it told you to do was to make a working copy of the disks?  It's going the way of that...

Also: Brothers in Arms is 30?  Now I feel old...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #521 on: 29 May, 2015, 06:51:48 pm »
I noticed in another thread the Knopfler brothers were at the same school as someone on this forum. I think it might have been fboab. Maybe.

Anyways, cover artwork? No, that was on vinyl.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #522 on: 30 May, 2015, 05:58:52 pm »
Following on from the link Kim posted in the Best Videos thread, today I have been mostly learning what sweded means.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #523 on: 31 May, 2015, 01:47:16 pm »
That I should have changed my back DR cable housing before riding. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #524 on: 31 May, 2015, 07:16:03 pm »
You're not allowed to post a book to Ireland without a licence from the ROI Minister of Justice, and you're not allowed to post any printed matter to France and Japan, full stop.  According to the Royal Fail.  ...Well, you can post them, but the items aren't supposed to be accepted by the receiving countries' postal services.

...To list just a couple of examples of the many ordinary items in Prohibited lists.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/international-delivery/country-guides
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●