Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858282 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #600 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:33:15 pm »
Probably.
Quote from: someone German
A feminist is a woman with red hair.

That reminds me of yesterday's Graun piece on Sarah Maple, illustrated with, inter alia, her painting The Opposite to a Feminist is an Arsehole.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #601 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:34:07 pm »
And indeed, my exact problem. Hair too long for one box of dye, but not long enough to warrant using all of the second box…

The Die Hard 3 solution would surely be not to mix up all of the second box...

« Reply #602 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:36:19 pm »
And indeed, my exact problem. Hair too long for one box of dye, but not long enough to warrant using all of the second box…

The Die Hard 3 solution would surely be not to mix up all of the second box...

Yeah, that's exactly what I tried yesterday ;) turns out I'm not very good at estimating "about half the tube of colour" …

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #603 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:52:39 pm »
Probably.
Quote from: someone German
A feminist is a woman with red hair.

Guilty as charged.

The weird thing about that, which I've heard from several Germans (male and female, albeit last century), is that it wasn't "feminists like to dye their hair red" or "having red hair is often a sign of being a feminist" it was given as an actual definition. Maybe just a language thing though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #604 on: 16 July, 2015, 11:58:16 pm »
Anyway, today I learned about the bizarre behaviour of Pope Boniface VI (pope for fifteen days in 896) in relation to his predecessor, Formosus. You'd better look it up for yourself, it's too weird.

« Reply #605 on: 17 July, 2015, 04:15:53 pm »
The Cadaver Synod? Wasn't that Boniface's successor?

« Reply #606 on: 17 July, 2015, 06:48:19 pm »
That an old electric toothbrush head smeared in liquid soap is just the ticket for cleaning out all the crud that gets stuck between the links of a metal watch bracelet.

And that you should always check _which_ head is on your electric toothbrush before cleaning your teeth........  :sick:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #607 on: 19 July, 2015, 09:35:00 pm »
That there is a lot more gravel on my back garden than I thought (16 rubble sacks has hardly made a dent), and that the ground underneath is bumpy, full of building rubble and made of heavy clay.

Tempted to put it all back.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #608 on: 20 July, 2015, 11:37:28 am »
...before you get to the bodies.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #609 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:01:51 pm »
That there is a lot more gravel on my back garden than I thought (16 rubble sacks has hardly made a dent), and that the ground underneath is bumpy, full of building rubble and made of heavy clay.

That'll be the reason for the gravel, then.

It does look a bit shit Marcus, don't put it back.  Stay with your vision!
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #610 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:20:01 pm »
Just add some NCN signs...

fuzzy

« Reply #611 on: 20 July, 2015, 04:23:43 pm »
Put the gravel back, smooth it over then organize a tanker load of bonding agent and pour it in till just below the surface of the gravel. Bonding agent bonds, gravel stays put, Robert is your parents brother.

« Reply #612 on: 20 July, 2015, 04:32:49 pm »
If it helps, I'll make a call to your local old bill saying there is a body buried 6ft down.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #613 on: 20 July, 2015, 05:49:43 pm »
If it helps, I'll make a call to your local old bill saying there is a body buried 6ft down.

An old man lived alone. His only son was in prison, and he didn't know anyone who would spade up his potato garden, so he wrote to his son about it.
"For heaven's sake, don't dig up that garden," his son wrote back. "That's where I buried the guns!"
The next day, a dozen police officers, who had intercepted the letter, arrived and dug up the entire garden, but didn't find any guns.
Confused, the man wrote to his son telling him what happened and asking him what to do next.
"Plant your potatoes," his son wrote.

;D

red marley

« Reply #614 on: 20 July, 2015, 08:38:59 pm »
Through my annual visit to ITV4 thanks to the TdF, I learn that The Sweeney is really rather shite. A carnival of bad acting and cut price fisticuffs. And can the young inspector Morse do anything other than scowl?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #615 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:01:10 pm »

A few more bags filled before the rain, most of the path is up now. Found a completely intact 3x2' paving slab under the path for no apparent reason. Wonder what's hiding underneath.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #616 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:13:44 pm »

A few more bags filled before the rain, most of the path is up now. Found a completely intact 3x2' paving slab under the path for no apparent reason. Wonder what's hiding underneath.

The bodies.  And the guns.

Milk please, no sugar.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #617 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:27:29 pm »

The bodies.  And the guns.

Reading this is bringing back memories of moving to Furrybootoon as a child. We ended up in a University house, previous occupants a sociology lecturer and his 'bidey-in'. Interior decor appeared to be distemper and stolen institutional shades of gloss paint (on the walls), green, mustard etc.
Both gardens were like a jungle and in 1 was a coal shed-cum shed with a greenhouse built on the end made entirely from old windows.
On the floor, a giant wooden door, looking for all the world like a trap door. I was convinced there would be a cavity underneath and the sociology lecture's ex-wife, or buried treasure, or something.
Sadly, there was only concrete. I was so disappointed. Still, there was all manner of random shit in that shed, kept me amused for months....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #618 on: 20 July, 2015, 10:44:13 pm »

A secret bunker, already filled with every bike you've ever dreamed of.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #619 on: 21 July, 2015, 12:04:27 am »

Elephants.  Elephants all the way down.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #620 on: 21 July, 2015, 07:23:01 am »
Evander Duck is not a relative of Huey, Dewey and Louie.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #621 on: 22 July, 2015, 10:50:21 am »
That if you took the symbol used by the Polish air force until 1993, when they reversed it, and flew it at sea, it would mean "You are standing into danger".

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #622 on: 25 July, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »
Well, not learned, as I don't believe it to be true.

I've just read on twitter that adding "The" to the names of major roads is a Birmingham thing.
The Pershore Road and The Bristol Road are examples near me.
But surely other towns do this too don't they?  Whoever speaks of "Edgware Road"?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #623 on: 25 July, 2015, 06:55:25 pm »
Well, not learned, as I don't believe it to be true.

I've just read on twitter that adding "The" to the names of major roads is a Birmingham thing.
The Pershore Road and The Bristol Road are examples near me.
But surely other towns do this too don't they?  Whoever speaks of "Edgware Road"?

I'd always heard it was a Londonton thing.  Roads are "the", everything else is not, hence "the Mile End Road" or "the Leyton High Road" but "Oxford Street" and "Northumberland Avenue".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #624 on: 25 July, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »
That spending a few hours walking a few miles around a completely flat town is more tiring than 13 hours riding 200km over 2,000m of ascent. Perhaps it's down to the rain.