Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 858972 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #1050 on: 22 May, 2016, 06:39:08 pm »
so does lashings of double cream, nuts and sunflower seeds, topped with home made berry compote

On the other hand, my personal learning over the last three days - a rear mech is not just a rear mech, at least not past 10sp.  Gone are the days of cross compatibility.  Lots of swearing ensued
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1051 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:08:50 am »
That UK Power Networks have my mobile number. Because I got a text 10 minutes after the start of a power cut telling me there was a local problem, and offering text updates if I replied in the affirmative. I did, and I got them. I was quite impressed.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1052 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:41:31 pm »
Jane from Rod, Jane and Freddy used to be married to Rod but is now with Freddy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

fuzzy

« Reply #1053 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:32:21 am »
Jane from Rod, Jane and Freddy used to be married to Rod but is now with Freddy.

Is that the recent celebrity threesome injunction ménage e tois?

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1054 on: 25 May, 2016, 02:42:46 pm »

Is that the recent celebrity threesome injunction ménage e tois?

Nah. That was Bungle, George and Zippy
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #1055 on: 25 May, 2016, 02:52:50 pm »
Didn't there used to be an unpopular beat combo called Bungle's Furry Knob?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1056 on: 25 May, 2016, 04:24:45 pm »
Cider-fuelled idiot beat combo Metal Duck did a song called Rod, Jane And Freddy's Total Noise Annihilation.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #1057 on: 25 May, 2016, 06:20:53 pm »
What I have learned today: Don't eat anything fboab's chopped on a chopping board, but definitely get her to do any grating  :facepalm:.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1058 on: 25 May, 2016, 07:27:40 pm »
What I have learned today: Don't eat anything fboab's chopped on a chopping board, but definitely get her to do any grating  :facepalm:.

You making pink macaroni cheese?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1059 on: 25 May, 2016, 07:35:17 pm »
Roy Wood's given name is Ulysses Adrian Wood.  Too cool.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #1060 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:38:54 pm »
Roy Wood's given name is Ulysses Adrian Wood.  Too cool.

Erm, too cool to be true.  (Urban) myth alert.  You might want to check his Wikipedia page.

« Reply #1061 on: 26 May, 2016, 09:33:24 am »
Everything I know is wrong.

« Reply #1062 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:57:24 am »
That the father of the actress Miranda Hart was the last man off HMS Coventry when it was sunk by the Fuerza Aérea Argentina in 1982 - by choice.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #1063 on: 26 May, 2016, 02:31:57 pm »
My Granddad joined the Royal Field Artillery in Feb 1914 and was discharged in Sep 1920. I knew he was a "front-line gunner" but I didn't know the dates.

(no, I'm not busy this afternoon)
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1064 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:49:39 pm »
My Granddad joined the Royal Field Artillery in Feb 1914 and was discharged in Sep 1920. I knew he was a "front-line gunner" but I didn't know the dates.

Surely discharged must be the wrong word for a fusilier? A bit like 'fired'
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1065 on: 26 May, 2016, 11:12:45 pm »

Did they have difficulty replacing him with someone of similar calibre?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1066 on: 27 May, 2016, 08:40:26 am »

Did they have difficulty replacing him with someone of similar calibre?

This is like shooting fish in a barrel
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1067 on: 28 May, 2016, 01:17:44 am »

Coinkidink. So was mine. Heavy artillery at the Somme, they had a direct hit (or a premature detonation) and a burial party came around to fill in the crater. Someone threw a shovel of earth on him and he groaned. If he hadn't I wouldn't be here.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1068 on: 28 May, 2016, 01:22:37 am »
How the sun moves round the sky, particularly with regard to seasons and different latitudes (and indeed hemispheres).

I've understood the principles since I was a kid, but you don't really get a proper feel for these things until you build one yourself.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1069 on: 28 May, 2016, 10:46:13 am »
^^^ The first graphics progs I wrote in C were orreries, on a 256-color VGA screen.  Even did a 3D one.  Trouble was that the screen's vertical res was only around 2/3 of the horizontal so everything was egg-shaped unless corrected.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1070 on: 31 May, 2016, 08:02:27 pm »
That Herr von Trapp in The Sound of Music was a submarine commander for the Austro-Hungarian navy in WW1, sinking the French armoured cruiser Leon Gambetta with the loss of 648 of her 785 crew, & his first wife was a granddaughter & heiress of Robert Whitehead, an Englishman who invented & built the first effective self-propelled naval torpedoes (including the type used by von Trapp) in Fiume (now Rijeka) in what was then Austria but now Croatia, for the Austro-Hungarian navy.

I'd heard of Whitehead, largely because his works in Fiume became Italian after WW1, & the business still exists in Italy (Whitehead Sistemi Subacquei, subsumed into a division of Finmeccanica-Leonardo last year) & still builds torpedoes, used by the Italian & many other navies. I had no idea of the Whitehead-von Trapp connection, or that von Trapp had been a submarine commander.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1071 on: 01 June, 2016, 12:21:57 am »
Whitehead is buried in Worth churchyard, a couple of miles from where I am right now. He owned what was then called Paddockhurst and is now Worth Abbey.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #1072 on: 01 June, 2016, 02:51:14 am »
That eating an industrial-sized portion of chickpea and lentil curry on the eve of a long-haul flight is about as good an idea as it sounds.

« Reply #1073 on: 01 June, 2016, 01:37:20 pm »
That there are black USAians who having lived here for a while, say such things as "I forgot I was black" when they go home, because they find that far less attention is paid to ancestral continent here than over there.

Things commented on include that the police respond to them better here, & that they don't feel out of place when there are no or very few other black people around, because non-black people aren't  reacting differently to them than the others present.

Oh, & black American women say that they find they have more choice of men here. One suggested it might be because the US stereotype of the angry black single mother doesn't exist here, so really just another aspect of the same thing.

"Weren’t tense and hostile the way that some American police officers are when I approach" - black US former airman.
"I don’t remember being followed around by store security"

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1074 on: 01 June, 2016, 01:41:45 pm »
That eating an industrial-sized portion of chickpea and lentil curry on the eve of a long-haul flight is about as good an idea as it sounds.

In James Dickey's book "To the White Sea" he mentions the USN's habit of feeding its aviators on beans before flights in unpressurized planes; and unconventional uses for the flare chute.

My own alimentary mishap, never to be forgotten, involved lobster mayonnaise with a pint of Guinness and a very rough crossing of the Irish Sea.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight