Author Topic: Reusing the parts of a bent wheel  (Read 1215 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Reusing the parts of a bent wheel
« on: 15 January, 2019, 11:55:52 pm »
So was given a bike that had suffered having the rear wheel kicked in.

The rear hub is  aw3 modern jobbie and was wondering if the hub is usuable.  The rim of the hub seems straight but don't know till I strip the wheel. 

Re: Reusing the parts of a bent wheel
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2019, 12:28:28 am »
you will soon find out; if you do need a replacement hubshell they are not difficult to find.

Suggestion; use a hammer and drift to loosen the ball ring in the hubshell now (i.e. before you cut the hub out of the wheel) . This will allow you to both replace the hubshell more easily and/or overhaul the hub innards without rebuilding the wheel around a damaged hubshell.  It is usually possible to remove an internal from a loose hub but it isn't easy.

cheers

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:13:12 pm »
Meh, I wanted hassle free.   

Is there an exploded diagram so I ave an idea what I am doing or should I guess, as usual.

« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:33:27 pm »
given that SA hubs have been around (in their current form) for decades and there is a whole internet's worth of information about them, why on earth would you 'guess'....????... :o

this photo appeared in the first page of results for 'sturmey archer ball ring removal'.  All you need to do is to loosen the ball ring this way about 1/8th of a turn and this will spare you the possible hassle I mentioned earlier.

cheers

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:02:10 pm »
I have the correct tool.  It still needs a mallet on the end of it, mind.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:47:30 pm »
Not really the best idea to do this without backing off the left cone first.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:19:19 pm »
given that SA hubs have been around (in their current form) for decades and there is a whole internet's worth of information about them, why on earth would you 'guess'....????... :o

this photo appeared in the first page of results for 'sturmey archer ball ring removal'.  All you need to do is to loosen the ball ring this way about 1/8th of a turn and this will spare you the possible hassle I mentioned earlier.

cheers

Not really used the ali bodied ones before been happy with the older steel ones.

« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2019, 11:35:54 pm »
Not really the best idea to do this without backing off the left cone first.

hence "only back it off 1/8th of a turn"; this is within the typical running clearance / thread clearance.

BTW 'the correct tool' (with two round dogs) doesn't fit older hubs.   When using a hammer and drift, a couple of smart blows on one side of the hub, turn 180 degrees, and repeat.

'Modern AW' type hubs come with steel or aluminium shells.  The internals are the same and there is hardly any weight difference between them. The main difference is that to build a really durable wheel with a steel shell requires spoke washers (often two per spoke) whereas the aluminium shells allow spokes to seat better.

The aluminium shells polish up really well if that sort of thing floats your boat.

cheers