Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517263 times)

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1475 on: 16 September, 2015, 02:46:47 pm »
Is pastry in a sandwich really so repellent a concept?
Yes. Yes it is.

Far too much carbohydrate. Like chips with lasagne.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1476 on: 16 September, 2015, 03:17:15 pm »

Bread and chips is a good combination though. I've always been partial to a chip butty, and a cheese sandwich is always improved by the addition of crisps (classic Hula Hoops for preference). And when I lived in France, they didn't have British-style kebab shops, so the favourite post-drinking snack was a huge wodge of baguette filled with merguez and frites. Bloody fantastic, it was.

The prize for carb overloading goes to my former colleague, who was a lunchtime regular at the greasy spoon near the office. His favourite was curry day, and he would always go for the full works: curry with rice, chips and naan.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1477 on: 16 September, 2015, 03:54:01 pm »
Sshhhh. Don't tempt me.

« Reply #1478 on: 16 September, 2015, 03:59:13 pm »
Is pastry in a sandwich really so repellent a concept?
Yes. Yes it is.

Pish and tush!  Chips and lasagne go together like ramma lamma lamma and dinga da dinga dong.   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #1479 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:06:08 pm »
Fuck yes. A sausage roll in a baguette. Someone throw me a life buoy I'm bobbing about in a lake of my own drool at the very thought.

I invented the pie club sandwich which I remind you is three layers of thoroughly marged white bread, in the top layer you insert a pie (of the chip shop variety, preferably not too fresh, that hot lamp sauna really loosens them up), the flavour is your choice, and in the bottom layer chips. The jury is out on whether to add a dobbin of gravy to the pie layer, but don't over do it, there are structural integrity issues to consider. I personally like to pimp mine up with a schmear of mushy peas, doing my bit for my one-a-day in the process. The result is what I call the Jesus Sandwich for it is truly almightiest of the sandwiches.

I seriously eat this. I quite like scotch egg sandwiches too. Just slice them up and sandwich them with a good dollop of salad cream. Et voilà as they say en Français.

citoyen

« Reply #1480 on: 16 September, 2015, 04:25:54 pm »
Fuck yes. A sausage roll in a baguette. Someone throw me a life buoy I'm bobbing about in a lake of my own drool at the very thought.

I invented the pie club sandwich which I remind you is three layers of thoroughly marged white bread, in the top layer you insert a pie (of the chip shop variety, preferably not too fresh, that hot lamp sauna really loosens them up), the flavour is your choice, and in the bottom layer chips. The jury is out on whether to add a dobbin of gravy to the pie layer, but don't over do it, there are structural integrity issues to consider. I personally like to pimp mine up with a schmear of mushy peas, doing my bit for my one-a-day in the process. The result is what I call the Jesus Sandwich for it is truly almightiest of the sandwiches.

I seriously eat this. I quite like scotch egg sandwiches too. Just slice them up and sandwich them with a good dollop of salad cream. Et voilà as they say en Français.

I've just had to explain to my colleagues why I was laughing so uncontrollably. They were horrified.

« Reply #1481 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:39:32 pm »
For a good portion of my secondary school years my lunch was a burger with a slice of pepperoni pizza and a sausage roll inserted into the bun.

How I stayed under 9 stone I don't know  ???
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1482 on: 16 September, 2015, 07:45:31 pm »
Suspect you didn't eat much after lunch or in class, and that your lunch wasn't HUGE WRT Calories.
Kids expend Calories growing and generally moving around.
Modern kids move less, eat more, eat worse and have a shorter school day.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1483 on: 16 September, 2015, 08:52:55 pm »

The prize for carb overloading goes to my former colleague, who was a lunchtime regular at the greasy spoon near the office. His favourite was curry day, and he would always go for the full works: curry with rice, chips and naan.
One of my colleagues had a pasta salad & Monster Munch sandwich for lunch one day.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1484 on: 17 September, 2015, 01:35:22 pm »
Abandon hope all ye that enter here  :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

« Reply #1485 on: 17 September, 2015, 02:11:31 pm »
One of my colleagues had a pasta salad & Monster Munch sandwich for lunch one day.

I like his style! (I say "his", I presume your colleague must be a bloke, having a lunch like that.)

« Reply #1486 on: 17 September, 2015, 06:24:20 pm »
The scotch Egg sandwich sounds great, and has reminded me of my audaxing ambrosia, the ginsters buffet bar, which I feel would be awesome inserted into a burrito

ian

« Reply #1487 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:02:06 pm »
geraldc, I think I love you.

I think I may move to Hoxton and open a Things-in-Bread cafe. I'm generally not allowed the Jesus Sandwich when we have company which is a double helping of boo sauce. Because, says my wife, that's not what normal people eat. Who wants to be normal. The next time I indulge I may photograph it like a recipe book spread, that pie nestled comfortably between blankets of perfect white bread, a tongue of sunshine yellow margarine licking the crusts, the playful jumble of chips on the bottom deck, and the crowning emerald glory of mushy peas. To bite into it is rapture, especially when the pie starts to leak, it's like having little tipsy angels tripping over on your tongue.

On the matter of carbs, chips, rice, and curry sauce was popular when I was a youth, though for a mere 5p more you'd get a fritter on top. That was 5p always well spent.

« Reply #1488 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:47:31 pm »
From your bread - based grotesques I present:

Bread & butter pudding.

No2Son told me as I left for college earlier that I needed to make some. So I have. It's light, fluffy, buttery goodness. The child has just informed me he doesn't like it, it just needed doing as we had excess bread.
It looks absolutely delicious, and I'm on a no bread diet. I hate him.

Need I add it smells glorious, too?

« Reply #1489 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:52:15 pm »

Damn him. It tastes brilliant too.

ian

« Reply #1490 on: 17 September, 2015, 10:55:47 pm »
Also fritters back then were the size of a battered comedy sombrero. I spent many a happy childhood hour as a human potato croquette squandering that excess energy through endless games of Defender. It took some pretty nifty and exhausting fingerwork to takes out landers fore and aft, hyperspace, SMARTBOMB. Phew, someone hand me hand me another fritter, I'm going to need it (the Defender machine was handily in the chippy).

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1491 on: 17 September, 2015, 11:08:45 pm »

Damn him. It tastes brilliant too.

Drool.  :P

*wonders if he could get to be adopted by Lindsey*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1492 on: 28 September, 2015, 05:44:59 pm »
Christmas puddings are out at Sainsbury's. On the other side of the display I found the hot cross buns.  ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1493 on: 29 September, 2015, 09:07:52 am »
And on a nearby aisle, pumpkins and "terror wheels". It's almost surprising any of these things are ever not on sale.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1494 on: 29 September, 2015, 09:45:41 am »
Christmas puddings are out at Sainsbury's. On the other side of the display I found the hot cross buns.  ::-)

Ah, but hot cross buns are great and should be available year round, not just Easter-time, simply because they're like teacakes, but nicer.  Christmas pudding, however, is an EVENT and really ought to be a Christmas-only thing.  Seems a bit early - Stir-up Sunday isn't until mid/late November...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Now I know why Cofresh "Dry Roasted Flavour Peanuts" were discounted at Wilko.  They're bloody disgusting.  The "flavour" is vaguely mild curry and vomit.

Never mind, Cofresh's sesame coated caramel peanuts are still delicious.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Now I know why Cofresh "Dry Roasted Flavour Peanuts" were discounted at Wilko.  They're bloody disgusting.  The "flavour" is vaguely mild curry and vomit.

I am favourably impressed with much stuff from Cofresh.
Cheap highish protein snacks.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Nice write up for the watering hole the committee of the Junior Ganymede Club are known to frequent.

???

Translation into pleb please?

No idea what David M is on about, but I do know that the book kept by the committee of the Junior Ganymede is the source of the information whereby Bertie Wooster was able to get out of a beating at the hands of Roderick Spode by mentioning the name Eulalie.

Perhaps he's referring to I Am The Only Running Footman, the Mayfair pub that was reputedly the inspiration for the Junior Ganymede.

He has it. The Junior Ganymede Club is the club of gentlemens gentlemen, or in our case a selection of those who would make up the junior common room if we were such a university as to have one.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter

I like the Cofresh chilli & lemon flavour lentil crisps, not that easy to get here though...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

I like the Cofresh chilli & lemon flavour lentil crisps, not that easy to get here though...

Many varieties are available tome at Sainsbury's online.

London mix etc £1 for 325g of nibbles.
Not bad.