Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517221 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I went into a Far Eastern shop (from Thai to Philippino and Vietnamese to Japanese) and came out with some Taiwanese mochi-taro. It's rather nice cos it's gently sweet. A bit like Turkish delight, but subtler. And made from taro, obvs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I DON'T NEED FUCKING PICTURES! I KNOW HOW A BANANA LOOKS!

I DO need pictures - to read information from the pack not included in the description.  BUT the pictures are still far too small for that!  For goodness sake, Sainsbooories, show a higher-resolution picture when we click on an item.

I know they've got many thousands of products so the total amount of picture data storage would be rather large, but surely it's possible these days without great cost.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I DON'T NEED FUCKING PICTURES! I KNOW HOW A BANANA LOOKS!

I DO need pictures - to read information from the pack not included in the description.  BUT the pictures are still far too small for that!  For goodness sake, Sainsbooories, show a higher-resolution picture when we click on an item.

I know they've got many thousands of products so the total amount of picture data storage would be rather large, but surely it's possible these days without great cost.

I am an avid label reader and frequently click on the products for further information, but I want FACTS, not pictures.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
I like to see the product as well anyway.  I don't always know what something looks like, and even when I do, it saves brain energy to see a bunch of boonanas rather than reading boonanas when quickly zipping through my favourites.  However, there is too much white space around the pictures, and the page header and trolley column take up far too much room, so of course I agree that too much scrolling is required.  The designers are quite clearly idiots.

Also they should put little plus and minus buttons by the quantities.  A redesign should include functional enhancements like that, not (just) prettification.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
They keep faffing with the layout which provides a constant litany of sweary moans every time I visit Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I must be odd in that I read TEXT faster than pictures/icons/graphics.
I get icons wrong on my toolbar very frequently.
For me, a picture is worth maybe two words when I'd prefer twenty.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I get icons on my toolbar very frequently.

Barakta did her dissertation on this stuff:  Neither approach is particularly odd, though there's probably a selection bias amongst those ultimately responsible for the blingification of websites.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I get icons on my toolbar very frequently.

Barakta did her dissertation on this stuff:  Neither approach is particularly odd, though there's probably a selection bias amongst those ultimately responsible for the blingification of websites.

I could previously disable images on the Sainsbury's website; I can't now.
I don't enable avatars on yacf and AFAIK nobody suffers as a result.

Unnecessary images slow me and web page loading down.
Do not like.
Do not want!

I don't mind other people getting images if that is what they want; I just want a choice!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Just ordered a British Christmas Hamper as a present for my daughter and her hubby in Canada.

I hope they like it.  There's a lot of chocolate in there, and a Christmas cake.
Milk please, no sugar.

Just ordered a British Christmas Hamper as a present for my daughter and her hubby in Canada.

I hope they like it.  There's a lot of chocolate in there, and a Christmas cake.

Canadian customs'll probably stop it then!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

We want to make a Christmas cake. I went shopping in the local Tesco 9as I have don for the last 5 year for the ingredients). I asked, because I couldn't see it, for mixed peel and glace cherries. The response " we're not doing glace cherries, and the peel hasn't come it yet" WTF??  They are of course doing bags of "ready soaked mixed fruits".

My wife got the cherries from a Budgens yesterday, but they had no peel either. She went to M&S today (a small town centre one) and they had none - response "lots of people have been asking for that" - presumably because the Tesco local to there had none either.  ::-)

She finally got some in the health food shop! Why - because lots of people had been asking.... so they'd got some in.  :thumbsup:

Ruthie

• Her Majester
I had Christmas Pudding flavoured ice cream the other day.  It had whole glace cherries in it.  It was marvellous.
Milk please, no sugar.

She finally got some in the health food shop! Why - because lots of people had been asking.... so they'd got some in.  :thumbsup:
I always get candied peel from our local health/whole food shop as they do big pieces which aren't all dried up. You do have to cut them yourself of course but that's hardly a great effort.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

I always get candied peel from our local health/whole food shop as they do big pieces which aren't all dried up. You do have to cut them yourself of course but that's hardly a great effort.

I suspect that's what she's got.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I get glacé cherries from Sainsbury's all year round.
There's quite a lot of peel in Sainsbury's Basics mixed dried fruit.

I bake small amounts of CAEK all year and Sainsbury's usually supplies.

I suspect they need to keep the kitchens of the local Yiddishe Mamas well-stocked...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Because SCIENCE?

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Because SCIENCE?

Yebbut on the whole it's surely better to keep genital flora out of the comestibles, I'd have thought.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
I think that any flora, genital or otherwise would be killed off in the baking stage.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Even so.  Ewwww.
Milk please, no sugar.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Because SCIENCE?

Yebbut on the whole it's surely better to keep genital flora out of the comestibles, I'd have thought.

Or at least the other way round...

I wouldn't have thought a healthy starter would contain any live vaginal yeast; ISTR that any yeasts added to a culture at the beignning are soon overwhelmed by the wild yeasts picked up from the air and/or the flour used.

I remember reading a piece once (in the Graun?) about a cheese enthusiast who collected wild strains; he made one using microorganisms collected from his feet, and it was indeed supposedly stupendously stinky...