Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517347 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Is it wrong of me to have curry for breakfast?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Never.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I'm trying not to be appalled by the idea of a protein bar made of mashed insects. 

http://www.wildinspirationboxes.com/#!Insects-the-new-to-go-food-to-keep-you-going/iab04/5720897f0cf269c350f133ed

You've seen Snowpiercer, right?

I just googled that.  It's got that Jamie Bell in it  :sick:

Is it any good?

Um, no  ???

Soylent Green, Cloud Atlas, Lanark... Snowpiercer?

And then there's my 1723 book that documents the Siege of Londonderry, which quotes a butcher's price list of the time: ¼ of a dog, fattened on the bodies of the slain.... 5s.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Today, my breakfast consisted of a bowl of basmati rice, into which was mixed a couple of tablespoons of hot chilli pesto.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'm trying not to be appalled by the idea of a protein bar made of mashed insects. 

http://www.wildinspirationboxes.com/#!Insects-the-new-to-go-food-to-keep-you-going/iab04/5720897f0cf269c350f133ed

You've seen Snowpiercer, right?
Um, no  ???

I just googled that.  It's got that Jamie Bell in it  :sick:

Is it any good?

It's like watching an entire season of Lexx in one sitting.  Without the funny bits.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος

Of course not.

:thumbsup:

Unrelated...
I've been vegan and (almost) tea-total since mid-March.  That all ended on Sunday, deo gratias.  Meatless I can handle, even no booze (contrary to popular opinion), but the best bit is welcoming milk and cheese back into my life.  :-*
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My stewed apples with raisins have spent rather a long time in the fridge awaiting consumption.
They were fermenting nicely when I had them with ice cream for my dessert tonight.
It was rather yummy - rum'n'raisin ice cream...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I baked a cake for the first time since Christmas last night...
... and found the glacé cherries in the cupboard which contains the loaf tin liners, paper plates and other disposable partyware.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
On the cheese board, last night, I put a Picos blue. Never had it before. It is unusual, to say the least! Not punchy like a Stilton or even Yorkshire Blue. It is mild in it's blue flavour, until you get the aftertaste, with is spicy! I think I have found a new favorite blue cheese...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
...Picos blue...

Never heard of it, but it's on the must-try list now.  :thumbsup:

...If the French will deign to import it.

Never, I have supped on leftover Chinese Takeaway curry with rice (despite warnings of painful, agonising deff) many times when younger, I have now graduated to leftover homemade curry for breakfast, much nicer, the only thing missing is the leftover beer (from when younger  ;D )
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

...Picos blue...

Never heard of it, but it's on the must-try list now.  :thumbsup:

...If the French will deign to import it.

Picos de Europa is luvverly, but Cabrales is (IMO obvs) better. Also quite liking Ossua Iraty as well.  Oh, and Bleu de Causses too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Partner has a severe aversion to blue cheeses so we never have them at home.
Which is a shame cos I like them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Did I mention my blue cheese & raw onion sandwich? Well yes, but. Yum.

That seems most unfair. Can't be he just not eat them?

hellymedic

• Just do it!

That seems most unfair. Can't be just not eat them?

He really doesn't like to see, smell or touch these things!
We obviously only have one fridge.

Oh well, his loss.

(My wife can't eat blue cheese - one of a string of food allergies that, although we try not to experiment, risks blue lights to hospital, or at the very least Epi-Pen deployment. She is gracious enough to settle for two cheese boards and separate knives.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Is your wife allergic to penicillin? Can she touch 'white' mouldy cheeses like Brie? Just curious.

AFAIK she's allergic to penicillin.

Touch is OK (for blue cheese as well as Brie and similar), just the eating of the mould that's in issue - she'll happily eat the innards of Brie, Camembert, Epoisses ... which means I end up with a plateful of rind. Such a hardship ...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
You need a dog.

Our local supermarket's cheese counter used to be a great source of rinds for dogs, then the management decided that what the staff were calling rinds and taking home were being eaten by more than dogs, and put a crimp in it.

Not sure about that - I'd start getting a bit peeved if a dog was getting them instead of me.

ian

That seems most unfair. Can't be just not eat them?

He really doesn't like to see, smell or touch these things!
We obviously only have one fridge.

Get a second fridge. Obvs. Then put it in a different country. I can't stand blue or otherwise funky and/or stinky cheese. I have to be dragged into French supermarkets like a recalcitrant dog.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Not sure about that - I'd start getting a bit peeved if a dog was getting them instead of me.

Correction: you need a dog and more cheese.

While I can't fault the second half of your assertion, I still regard the hound as superfluous - indeed, a cheese-eating canine companion would seem to be contra-indicated in the quest for more cheese.