Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 517235 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
But you still eat it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Walked past the new Polish shop set up by some local Pakistanis and got given three bags of Polish sausages for free, guess what I'm having for dinner tonight :)
Kabanosy? Kiełbasa? That a Polish shop has been set up by local Pakistanis says something interesting, though I'm not sure exactly what!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Walked past the new Polish shop set up by some local Pakistanis and got given three bags of Polish sausages for free, guess what I'm having for dinner tonight :)
Kabanosy? Kiełbasa? That a Polish shop has been set up by local Pakistanis says something interesting, though I'm not sure exactly what!
Don't know eat the first eight and popped the rest into the freezer before reading. I need to enter the shop to see if they have some goodies, though I think they don't have a deli corner like the one next to us in London. There was some yummy stuff :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
So exciting: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/29/nitro-cold-brews-energise-coffee-shops

This is one of the most exciting products to come on to the market since the flat white

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #1954 on: 30 October, 2016, 11:28:09 am »
Putting Brie in the fridge is a hanging offence in our house. Ditto all soft cheeses.  The difficulty is, though, keeping them at a constant 15°C, room temperature being too high.  I'd rather leave them out and eat them fast, though, than murder them in the fridge.

Don't you have a cellar? I thought all French houses had a cellar. Even the urban terraced house I lived in had a cellar.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
So exciting: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/29/nitro-cold-brews-energise-coffee-shops

This is one of the most exciting products to come on to the market since the flat white

How empty does your life have to be to find that ^^^^ "exciting"?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Depends on whether you're buying or selling.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Maybe they mistook a caffeine twitch for genuine excitement.

Is it just me or do baked sweet potatoes look like the worms from Tremors, when you cut into them..?   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Is it just me or do baked sweet potatoes look like the worms from Tremors, when you cut into them..?   ;)
Thanks, now I will always see that :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Last year I vouched I shall never again be purchasing any enormous, juicy and perfect looking chestnuts from the supermarket that are imported from China and taste like soap. 
Last night we roasted some pathetically small chestnuts in a variety of natural shapes given to us that were imported from Wales (food miles <5), they were delicious. 
Today I will be wandering into the forest to see if I'm not too late to find some more (food yards <500). 
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Oh good, someone else who's watched that load of rubbish.

Now I have to watch it again with a sweet spud in hand.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I had a burger yesterday lunchtime with a couple of other AUKs at the Harvester in Taunton.
The compulsive label-reader in me discovered that their Barbecue Syrup Sauce is 45% sugar, which is almost twice Heinz Tomato Ketchup.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

More trendy bullsh!t what's wrong with a simple double espresso? Con panna if you're feeling indulgent.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

Was sent to get toast bread for those who like it. Saw in Tesco something called "high protein bread" so, intrigued, I bought it. I've not checked how much protein is actually in it, and don't really care anyway, but it's surprisingly good. Almost like bread.

citoyen

More trendy bullsh!t what's wrong with a simple double espresso? Con panna if you're feeling indulgent.

Cold brew coffee has been around for a few years. If the Guardian are finally latching on, it must be on its way out already.

'Double espresso con panna' sounds like a wanky way of saying 'flat white'.

ian

Was sent to get toast bread for those who like it. Saw in Tesco something called "high protein bread" so, intrigued, I bought it. I've not checked how much protein is actually in it, and don't really care anyway, but it's surprisingly good. Almost like bread.

You can probably use it to ward off the seething masses of the gluten intolerant.

You can probably use it to ward off the seething masses of the gluten intolerant.

Best way to add protein to bread is a couple of rashers of bacon and a couple of fried eggs  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

Best way to add protein to bread is a couple of rashers of bacon and a couple of fried eggs  ;D

I do like your way of thinking.

Cudzoziemiec

Label says 15.3g protein per 100g and lists wheat protein as a separate ingredient. I don't know how that compares to other bread, whether toast or real, but I'd have thought if you're relying on bread as a source of protein you must be a bit desperate. Anyway, it does taste remarkably good for what it is, almost like, well, bread, and the toast-eaters haven't complained either.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Label says 15.3g protein per 100g and lists wheat protein as a separate ingredient. I don't know how that compares to other bread, whether toast or real, but I'd have thought if you're relying on bread as a source of protein you must be a bit desperate. Anyway, it does taste remarkably good for what it is, almost like, well, bread, and the toast-eaters haven't complained either.

I think grain is around 10% protein in the dry matter (check your spaghetti pack) and bread is not totally dry so this is higher protein than standard.

Adults don't need much protein in reality.

Athletes might need a tad more but most of us eat more protein than we need.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Though they could often do with less carbohydrate, and substituting some of it for protein seems like a reasonable approach, especially if it improves the taste of the bread-like toasting product.

(Accept that a few percent isn't going to make all that much different.)

Cudzoziemiec

We're all athletes here! And most of us, of course, eat more of everything than we need.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Thou shalt not live by bread alone.  Pass the foie gras.

Cudzoziemiec

From an article on Indian cash policy:
Among India’s middle class, Modi’s “surgical strike on black money” still appears to be popular. It’s the old “vegan fallacy” -- if something tastes terrible, it must be good for you.