Author Topic: Stopping smoking: when?  (Read 68021 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Stopping smoking: when?
« Reply #325 on: 15 March, 2017, 10:36:09 am »
Well done!  You only need to stop as many times as you started overall :)
Getting there...

« Reply #326 on: 16 March, 2017, 10:03:56 pm »
Just looking back at this. In 2 weeks I will have been completely off cigarettes for a year. Vaping was the answer for me, although I am tailing off on that too - gradually.

It only took me another 8 years to get around to it.

I think I am at the stage where I can either stop soon or I might as well carry on for the rest of my days.

I keep hoping for some stand-out date but they all pass by in a haze of Marlboro smoke.

How did the ex-smokers among you pick a date for an attempt?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #327 on: 16 March, 2017, 11:30:05 pm »
Good for both of you :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #328 on: 17 March, 2017, 08:13:48 am »
Fantastic stuff both of you!  My starting cycling coincided with stopping smoking nearly 20 years ago and I can honestly say I feel fitter now aged 61 than I did when I was 21 and smoking.  The benefits are unquantifiable.  Enjoy the smoke-free years to come  :thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

Chris S

« Reply #329 on: 17 March, 2017, 09:00:27 am »
It'll be my 15 year quit-anniversary on the 26th of this month. Don't miss it one bit.

« Reply #330 on: 26 July, 2017, 01:01:40 pm »
Now then, vapers. If any? I think I need to think about stopping the vaping. I have been cautious about this as I do not want any risk of feeling an urge to return to cigarettes. However, I think I am now about a 7/10 and rising on the hatred of cigarette smoke scale and I feel that it would take something quite major to encourage me to restart. 

A few months ago, I did try reducing the strength of the e-juice to 3 from 12 which was fine, but I definitely vaped more to compensate. I think this will be a cold turkey job. Has anyone else switched to e-cigarettes then stopped completely?

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #331 on: 30 July, 2017, 05:25:06 pm »
Now then, vapers. If any? I think I need to think about stopping the vaping. I have been cautious about this as I do not want any risk of feeling an urge to return to cigarettes. However, I think I am now about a 7/10 and rising on the hatred of cigarette smoke scale and I feel that it would take something quite major to encourage me to restart. 

A few months ago, I did try reducing the strength of the e-juice to 3 from 12 which was fine, but I definitely vaped more to compensate. I think this will be a cold turkey job. Has anyone else switched to e-cigarettes then stopped completely?

Be careful! Within about a month of stopping vaping I was, mysteriously, back on a pack a day in short order. Now I'm trying again.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #332 on: 30 July, 2017, 07:05:38 pm »
Hi Jacomus

That I do not want. While my inner anti-smoker seems to be coming on well, I have read too many tales of people who have stopped for considerable periods of time going back to cigarettes to take any chances. I think I’ll just sit tight for the time being. Hopefully I’ll just get bored with it.

I hope you have success this time around.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #333 on: 07 August, 2017, 07:04:28 pm »
Gradual steps is what you want. 12-6-3-0 with about 3-4 weeks in between. Then I'd recommend having a 20mg or something like our Phix on standby so that if you have the urge after not vaping it'll be like smoking a Marlboro red with no filter.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #334 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:13:52 pm »
Gradual steps is what you want. 12-6-3-0 with about 3-4 weeks in between. Then I'd recommend having a 20mg or something like our Phix on standby so that if you have the urge after not vaping it'll be like smoking a Marlboro red with no filter.

I prefer mouth to lung (I do have a sub-ohm tank but I prefer MTL). Currently using 12. I did try a gradual reduction in strength but I found that I just vaped more to compensate. I think I’ll try again though.

To some extent I suspect this is only partly to do with nicotine anyway. It’s a habit that is as much to do with breathing stuff in as nicotine addiction. I keep hoping I’ll just get bored with it and chuck it all in the bin but I am wary of sudden urges that might lead to the odd sneaky fag if I did that. That would quickly see me back to my customary 12 a day, I’m sure.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #335 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:46:38 pm »
Thats why I like the phix, a full charge lasts a me a full day, it takes about 45 minutes for a full charge and each pod lasts me upto 10 days. I keep one in my backpage for when I need something higher than 3mg.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #336 on: 09 August, 2017, 12:51:21 pm »
I think that you have to keep trying to give up. Even if you fail, as long as you keep trying. I didn't intentionally adopt that philosophy but looking back that seems to have been my approach. I kept trying to quit and now I think I have (12 months). 
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #337 on: 21 September, 2017, 09:58:05 am »
Just looking back at this. In 2 weeks I will have been completely off cigarettes for a year. Vaping was the answer for me, although I am tailing off on that too - gradually.

It only took me another 8 years to get around to it.

I think I am at the stage where I can either stop soon or I might as well carry on for the rest of my days.

I keep hoping for some stand-out date but they all pass by in a haze of Marlboro smoke.

How did the ex-smokers among you pick a date for an attempt?

Yes, I'm also planning o stop smoking and also thinking of vaping.. any cons about vaping?

Chris S

« Reply #338 on: 21 September, 2017, 10:50:09 am »
Yes, I'm also planning o stop smoking and also thinking of vaping.. any cons about vaping?

Nobody really yet knows the health consequences - if any.

Also - you may look a bit of a twat. Having been a smoker in the past, but long before vaping was a thing, part of the smoking "thing" was that you looked cool - like a film star; we reckoned we looked "hard" - especially if you held your smoke back to front, with all fingers, live end facing your palm. Vaping on the other hand looks altogether more - "industrial".

Also - I noticed Deano's contraption makes distressing crackling noises - not unlike the sound that popping candy makes, from the inside.

Paul

« Reply #339 on: 21 September, 2017, 12:20:40 pm »
I'm not militantly anti-vaping, but:

1. you can't do it in the workplace, so weather.
2. cost.
3. pockets.
4. unknown consequences.
5. it's still smoking, really.
6. addiction.

« Reply #340 on: 21 September, 2017, 11:35:02 pm »

You’ll find, as you approach the idea of stopping smoking, that the addiction works in strange ways, such as considering the possible downsides of things that you do not actually yet do  ;)

On the subject of health consequences of vaping, I think it is much too early to say. Consider how long it would take, if tobacco smoking was invented today, for the effects to express themselves. However, on balance, I think it is reasonable to believe that if all else fails vaping for a period of time offers a valid method to allow yourself time to leave the various habit-forming aspects of cigarette smoking behind. My own view is that the risks can be kept as low as possible by reducing the amount of material vaped by 1) sticking to mouth-to-lung vaping and 2) minimising the intake of the substances most likely to eventually be shown to be harmful - the flavourings - by using unflavoured e-liquid. The evidence seems to indicate that vaping nicotine itself and the PG or VG base are unlikely to be harmful. So that’s what I do most of the time.

Hopefully I’ll knock it on the head in the fullness of time. For now I am just glad to be not smoking tobacco.

My approach to Paul’s list of cons:

1. Don’t want to vape in the workplace any more than I wanted to smoke fags in work.
2. Costs, even including set-up costs, are minimal compared to smoking cigarettes.
3. Pockets: OK a vape is heavier than a packet of cigs, but it’s just not an issue. We all happily carry mobile phones, keys and what not.
4. See above - vaping is a means to an end and I like to think of it as a temporary measure.
5. It’s not still smoking.
6. Agree that it does not resolve the issue of nicotine addiction - but nicotine itself is the least of a smoker’s worries.

Good luck with your eventual attempt. When I see people smoking now, I feel no envy, only relief that I don’t “have to” do that anymore.

« Reply #341 on: 22 September, 2017, 08:50:38 pm »
I haven't smoked a cigarette for over a year now. I vape to get my nicotine fix, as it's probably the lesser of the two evils. I really dislike the smell of fags now, so can completely understand why non-smokers always moan about it.

Also - you may look a bit of a twat.

Do you honestly think I give any kinds of fucks about what people think about me as I pass them in the street as I'm vaping it up?!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #342 on: 22 September, 2017, 09:27:15 pm »
Smoking and vaping have the same end - a nicotine fix. Just stop.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul

« Reply #343 on: 23 September, 2017, 05:23:30 pm »
Just to be clear, mine was a list of cons for vaping, not pros for smoking. I would agree that vaping is probably better all around than smoking.

« Reply #344 on: 23 September, 2017, 05:32:11 pm »
As a lucky non-smoker may I just say how much nicer the vape vapour is than tobacco smoke.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #345 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:28:39 am »

You’ll find, as you approach the idea of stopping smoking, that the addiction works in strange ways, such as considering the possible downsides of things that you do not actually yet do  ;)

On the subject of health consequences of vaping, I think it is much too early to say. Consider how long it would take, if tobacco smoking was invented today, for the effects to express themselves. However, on balance, I think it is reasonable to believe that if all else fails vaping for a period of time offers a valid method to allow yourself time to leave the various habit-forming aspects of cigarette smoking behind. My own view is that the risks can be kept as low as possible by reducing the amount of material vaped by 1) sticking to mouth-to-lung vaping and 2) minimising the intake of the substances most likely to eventually be shown to be harmful - the flavourings - by using unflavoured e-liquid. The evidence seems to indicate that vaping nicotine itself and the PG or VG base are unlikely to be harmful. So that’s what I do most of the time.

Hopefully I’ll knock it on the head in the fullness of time. For now I am just glad to be not smoking tobacco.

1. Don’t want to vape in the workplace any more than I wanted to smoke fags in work.
2. Costs, even including set-up costs, are minimal compared to smoking cigarettes.
3. Pockets: OK a vape is heavier than a packet of cigs, but it’s just not an issue. We all happily carry mobile phones, keys and what not.
4. See above - vaping is a means to an end and I like to think of it as a temporary measure.
5. It’s not still smoking.
6. Agree that it does not resolve the issue of nicotine addiction - but nicotine itself is the least of a smoker’s worries.

Good luck with your eventual attempt. When I see people smoking now, I feel no envy, only relief that I don’t “have to” do that anymore.

Well, I still think it's better compared to smoking. The only concern now are videos of vapes exploding. Any recommendations of brands that is safe enough?

« Reply #346 on: 25 September, 2017, 12:03:52 pm »
As a lucky non-smoker may I just say how much nicer the vape vapour is than tobacco smoke.

Yes, there's a lot of flavors to choose from. And I think it will not stick to your shirt.

« Reply #347 on: 14 October, 2017, 08:20:19 pm »
Bugger just cracked and had a rolly after a week of cold turkey. Didn't really enjoy it so hopefully it's a one off.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Paul

« Reply #348 on: 15 October, 2017, 12:05:44 pm »
It's a stumble, not a crack.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #349 on: 15 October, 2017, 05:20:44 pm »
vaping: had to laugh the other day, was driving along and saw this bus shelter on fire - at least I thought it was - got a bit closer and saw a bloke standing inside...vaping  ;D

smoking: it's been about 17 odd years for me now. Nicotine gum [only available on prescription then]helped me a lot - it was life a raft when drinking. I went through all kinds of attempts before I finally packed up. The whole thing started to feel a bit more serious when I stopped playing football at 40 and after about 19 months started feel slightly breathless walking up hills. Havng been blessed with pretty good physical health, I thought, 'fuck this, if I'm like this now, what am I going to be like at 60?'. It was then I started cycling, which helped an awful lot as a motivator. One mile, then two....then some more! [addiction replacements!]

I think in the end, I just got so sick and tired of the unsuccessful attempts, the whole subject was becoming such a bore internally. Either I smoke and be done with it, or go the other side of the fence and get rid for good. It got so draining being on the fence. One thing became blatantly obvious though: after these attempts to stop, I could never be a contented smoker anymore.

Another thing that really helped me was a change in attitude. I'd always seen quitting as a kind battle, something to over come, a kind of war against the inner surges of craving and the temptations of being out drinking. It was always a battle, but after a while this kind of mentality was doomed to failure for me. The reality was, regardless of all the negatives [and they should be enough], I actually loved the whole thing about it - the roll ups, the tin, the zippo lighter, the Spanish dark mud they called Ducados, a fag with a cup of tea, fags at work, fags down the pub, fags when you're driving, but at the end of the day....the party was over. It was like saying goodbye. And it was time to say goodbye. Something had run it's course. And this felt much softer. Much easier to bear. There was almost a kind of loss. It didn't take away the craving or the obsessions about talking about stopping, it just didn't seem such a mentally stressful experience. It's like the further you try and push something away, the closer it gets. This helped me a lot actually.

It's difficult. Whatever gets you through the night to pack up is very valuable, but at the end of the day, there has to be something inside of you that knows it's for real, and regardless of who bad you may or may not feel, there is no going back.

To whoever is looking to step on the path: good luck.
Garry Broad