Author Topic: LEJOG: 03-08 JULY 2022  (Read 88213 times)

Re: LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020
« Reply #25 on: 23 October, 2019, 05:08:18 pm »
I'm pleased to say that the event has been accepted by the Randonneurs Mondiaux for an LRM event . . .
This means the event must use a mandatory route
http://www.randonneursmondiaux.org/files/Rules_2019.pdf
(LRM EVENT REGULATIONS (adopted 2019)
"3.15 . . . each rider will receive a brevet card specifying the location of and time limits for the checkpoints, and route information by GPS tracks or similar and/or traditional cue sheet indicating the route. Riders must stay on the route. If a rider leaves the route, they must return to the route at the same point prior to continuing, i.e., no shortcuts or detours from the route, unless specified by the organiser."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #26 on: 24 October, 2019, 10:29:17 am »
As the event is now mandatory route. How punishingly hilly will it be? Is the route being designed for efficient progress or is it more typical of an Andy Corless ride? (Mille pennines, knock ventoyx etc)

I can see the first stage is routing over dartmoor which seems to me like it will not be the flattest route.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #27 on: 24 October, 2019, 01:40:11 pm »
How punishingly hilly will it be? Is the route being designed for efficient progress or is it more typical of an Andy Corless ride? (Mille pennines, knock ventoyx etc)
I can see the first stage is routing over dartmoor which seems to me like it will not be the flattest route.
I think that assessment is likely. I've had a stab at recreating the Googlemaps walking route for the first day/300k section Andy's published: https://lejog1400audax.com/event-route/.
Land's End to Weston-super-Mare (A30/Dartmoor/A38 route): Marazion, Lanner, Bodmin, Minions, Horsebridge, Tavistock, across Dartmoor, thru' Exeter, old A38 via Taunton
(Note: Very difficult to completely avoid the A30 dual carriageway on that line, and this will struggle with "LRM Rule 1.5 The distance of the course will be determined by the shortest distance between controls capable of being cycled safely on road" unless the A30 where dualled is deemed to be 'unsafe'.)
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31360459?beta=false
305km + 3595m
An attractive route based on long (175k and 59k) sections of @Ian H's proven Kernow and SW 600 to Weston is 302km + 2998m. About the same distance but 600m less climb, that would go via Hayle, Newquay (control), Bude (control), Winkleigh, Bampton, and Taunton:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31360440?beta=false

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
« Reply #28 on: 26 October, 2019, 03:29:01 pm »
"(LRM EVENT REGULATIONS (adopted 2019)
"3.15 . . . each rider will receive a brevet card specifying the location of and time limits for the checkpoints, and route information by GPS tracks or similar and/or traditional cue sheet indicating the route. Riders must stay on the route. If a rider leaves the route, they must return to the route at the same point prior to continuing, i.e., no shortcuts or detours from the route, unless specified by the organiser."
"

Thanks for that clarification Ajax Bay.

"As the event is now mandatory route. How punishingly hilly will it be? Is the route being designed for efficient progress or is it more typical of an Andy Corless ride? (Mille Pennines, knock Ventoux etc)"

The event is being designed as nothing more than a special case of the End to End matching AUK rules (1400 km - 1470 km). As it's LRM the distance can't be under 1400 km, nor above 1470 km. I don't intend to have it anywhere near 1470 km (1435 km max)! The shortest "reasonable" route comes to about 1340 km so there has to be some dog-legs somewhere. However, I don't intend to throw in any needless hills (Hardknott; Great Dun Fell; Yorkshire Dales etc). I'll be down in Cornwall in a couple of weeks time finalising the first stage to Weston-Super-Mare.

I've made a note of the GPS tracks that have been created so far.

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG Audax 2020

« Reply #29 on: 07 November, 2019, 01:12:46 pm »
oops it seems i have registered for this

Andy Corless

« Reply #30 on: 10 November, 2019, 01:10:38 pm »
"oops it seems i have registered for this"

I have your entry. I'll be emailing all the entrants giving an update on current progress sometime later this week.

Andy Corless

Andy Corless

« Reply #31 on: 21 November, 2019, 09:30:35 am »
Morning all,

It's been a while now since my last contact so I thought I'd give you all a quick update.

Entries are very healthy and a few more places will be made available for the inevitable DNS etc. There are places left and entries are still being accepted. We have plenty of overseas interest for the event with entries coming in from: Ireland; Japan; USA and Australia.

EVENT ROUTE:

You might have noticed that I've uploaded some draft maps onto the event website. There are some clearer maps currently being designed and they'll be uploaded onto the event website sometime over the next few weeks. There are one or two detours being planned to possibly avoid busier roads (such as the A30) etc. It is of course inevitable that the route will follow some main/A-roads at some point along the route. Paisley, as opposed to Abington is under consideration for Tuesday's overnight control in order to even the distances out. There are some other variations under consideration as we continue to build the event.

https://lejog1400audax.com/event-route/

GETTING TO/FROM THE START/FINISH:

I've been asked by several riders for the best transport links to/from the start/finish. I've done some digging on the travel websites and come up with the following:

Travel to Land's End:

Rail:

The nearest railway station to the start is about 10-miles away in Penzance, which is basically the end of the line! There are direct train services from London/Birmingham (for connections from the north).

The website is:

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/  Although you can normally only book up to 3-months in advance.

Air:

The nearest airport is Newquay, about 50-miles away. There are direct flights to Manchester/Heathrow & Dublin.

The website for Newquay airport is: https://www.cornwallairportnewquay.com/

n.b. Land's End airport only serves the Scilly Isles.

Expect to pay more by taking your bike.

Travel from John o' Groats:

The nearest railway stations to John o' Groats are:

Wick (about 17-miles south)
Thurso (about 20-miles west).

Scotrail has direct train services to Inverness where you can connect to the south (Edinburgh/London etc).

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/   is the tool for this.

You could try some of the travel websites such as: expedia; lastminute.com etc for more info' on flights etc.

Air:

The nearest airport to JoG is Wick, about 17 miles south. BA has a direct flight to Edinburgh departing at 1:10 pm where you can connect to flights to over UK airports. Expect to pay extra if you fly home on the Friday.

I've updated the event website with some of this information. Many riders have discussed taking a shared shuttle from John o' Groats to the Inverness area (train station, airport etc).

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG AUDAX 2020

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #32 on: 10 December, 2019, 03:25:00 pm »

Signed up for this.

I have booked john o groats bike transport for 6 people and their bikes from john o groats to Inverness.

Spaces are available at £70 each, reduced go £60 if all sold.

Leaving from seaview hotel john o groats at 09:30 on Friday 31st of July.

If you are on the ride and planning to travel back on Friday morning an don't fancy gambling on getting on to the train at Thurso send me a PM.

Also British airways flight from Inverness to Heathrow was only £32 at the weekend. I bet you won't get the train for that price.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

LEJOG: 26 - 31 JULY 2020
« Reply #33 on: 27 December, 2019, 06:20:45 pm »
Good evening. I am doing LEJOG audax from 26 to 30 July. At the end I have booked a 6 berth caravan at JOG for 30 to 31 July (https://abnb.me/WXNYFOT9K2). At present there is only myself and my fellow rider in it. Does anyone else riding the audax want to stay there on 30 July and split the cost of it? It cost £88 for the night so if 3 others join us it's just under £18 approx per head.

Let me know here if interested and we can make arrangements at the start on 26 July about collection of keys etc depending on how we are riding.

Thanks James

« Reply #34 on: 10 January, 2020, 12:48:49 pm »
I'm in. Did Deloitte RAB in 2014 (9 days), so will be interesting to compare with the Audax experience!

Andy Corless

« Reply #35 on: 11 January, 2020, 03:05:50 pm »
"I'm in. Did Deloitte RAB in 2014 (9 days), so will be interesting to compare with the Audax experience!"

I have your entry! I've had a few enquiries this last few weeks from people asking for a comparison between LEJOG Audax and the Deloitte RAB. My own answer is I don't know because I've not ridden the Deloitte version although I notice they've selected the same route as I have between Land's End and Marazion. I'll be in Cornwall again this next week finalising the route of stage 1 so the provisional route instructions and GPS tracks should be appearing before the end of this month! I'll then be updating all the entrants on current progress. Everything's on track for a successful inaugural LEJOG Audax!

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG AUDAX 2020

S2L

« Reply #36 on: 11 January, 2020, 03:16:13 pm »
Comparison is fairly easy... one is a fully catered ride, where all you have to worry about is to ride from A to B every day, the other is a ride where you have to worry about everything else too (logistics, luggage, mechanicals along the way, as well as collecting receipts for validation... )
And of course you are riding the same route in half the time, so roughly twice the daily mileage

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #37 on: 11 January, 2020, 06:08:30 pm »
Looks like RAB have changed their route north of Edinburgh, it's now heading over the Cairnwell and Lecht before going up the middle of Sutherland.
Used to go up Glen Ogle but not sure where after that.

This is more the classic touring route, up the west(ish) side and cross to the east via the Great Glen.

Reminds me I need to block out some time in my calendar so I can appear on route somewhere.

« Reply #38 on: 12 January, 2020, 03:06:20 pm »
To Andy Corless
Many thanks for proving overnight controls with basic sleeping and shower facilities.  That is fantastic support for us.  In order for us to plan:
1. Will the sleeping facilities include a blanket to keep warm at night? or will we need to carry something to keep warm when sleeping?
2. Will there be any food at the overnight controls? (like you provided at Mille Peninnes, pasta or beans/toast which was bloody superb!) or will we need to pick food up earlier in the day if we want to eat at overnight control?
I would expect nothing, but would rather not carry stuff, only to find it provided.
Thanks in Advance

Andy Corless

« Reply #39 on: 13 January, 2020, 05:01:46 pm »
"Many thanks for proving overnight controls with basic sleeping and shower facilities.  That is fantastic support for us.  In order for us to plan:
1. Will the sleeping facilities include a blanket to keep warm at night? or will we need to carry something to keep warm when sleeping?
2. Will there be any food at the overnight controls? (like you provided at Mille Peninnes, pasta or beans/toast which was bloody superb!) or will we need to pick food up earlier in the day if we want to eat at overnight control?
I would expect nothing, but would rather not carry stuff, only to find it provided.
Thanks in Advance
"

The sleeping facilities are a mixture of bunk-beds & air-beds. They'll likely be blankets this time for the air-beds. All the overnight controls will be providing both hot & cold food free of charge. This is likely to be the usual choices of beans on toast; jacket potatoes/beans; cheese & broccoli pasta etc.

I'll be doing the rounds in Devon & Cornwall later this week so the provisional route-instructions should be appearing before the end of this month.

Hope this is of help!

More details on the event websites (links attached below):

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-64/

http://lejog1400audax.com/

https://www.cyclosport.org/event/26-Jul-2020/UK/lejog-1400.html

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG AUDAX 2020

« Reply #40 on: 13 January, 2020, 06:06:50 pm »
Given the speed on Mille Pennines of @The gasman, Andy, at the appropriate stage, you may wish to make clear the effective opening times of ?Paisley and ?Inverness. My offer of help remains 'on the table'. And another (local to me) Mille Pennines veteran has provisionally offered her assistance at Night 1 venue (? Weston-super-Mare)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #41 on: 14 January, 2020, 10:40:59 am »
Given the speed on Mille Pennines of @The gasman, Andy, at the appropriate stage, you may wish to make clear the effective opening times of ?Paisley and ?Inverness. My offer of help remains 'on the table'. And another (local to me) Mille Pennines veteran has provisionally offered her assistance at Night 1 venue (? Weston-super-Mare)
The Gasman should be in full value mode ;-) we have three newbies to get through this  ;D

« Reply #42 on: 14 January, 2020, 03:57:58 pm »
Just looking at overnight accommodation before the start, will there be overnight sleeping facilities at the start HQ  ??

Andy Corless

« Reply #43 on: 15 January, 2020, 03:47:41 pm »
"will there be overnight sleeping facilities at the start HQ  ??"

No - just a buffet the Saturday night with closing time about 11:00 pm! The event website (link attached below) gives some details on travel to Land's End and links to websites with overnight accommodation.

https://lejog1400audax.com/event-information/

"Given the speed on Mille Pennines of @The gasman, Andy, at the appropriate stage, you may wish to make clear the effective opening times of ?Paisley and ?Inverness."

I don't know who Gasman is so I have no idea of his/her progression times on the MP1K. For information purposes, the MP1K is also running over the weekend of 03 - 06 July 2020:

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-62/

http://millepenninesaudax.com/

Andy Corless
Organiser
LEJOG AUDAX 2020

« Reply #44 on: 15 January, 2020, 08:47:35 pm »
Lands End YHA (St Just) isn't far away and an easy ride; about 8km. Rooms/dorms, pods and camping (if you want to lug a tent about) available. It is popular in the summer so best get in quick if you do fancy it.

https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-lands-end

simonp

« Reply #45 on: 16 January, 2020, 01:16:05 am »
Whoops

« Reply #46 on: 16 January, 2020, 10:43:18 am »
I've booked airbnb accommodation for 25th July at St Buryan about 8 km from LE. There is a spare room with a single bed and also a single day bed in the private sitting room. Splitting the cost 3 ways would be £25 inc breakfast. There's a pub and shops in the village.

pm me if you're interested.

EDIT: Both beds provisionally taken. Thx

« Reply #47 on: 16 January, 2020, 04:40:08 pm »

HaHa Ajax Bay! - As Jack_P says, I will going "full value" for LEJOG, and be in proper tourist mode, making use of all the overnight sleep options so hitting the controls at the "expected" times rather than racing ahead.

simonp

« Reply #48 on: 16 January, 2020, 05:51:53 pm »
I was pleased to see Sandford as a control, as I could probably have nipped home (about a mile off route) but I see it's now Weston which is 9 miles away, so scratch that idea.

I've always said I'd never do LEJoG except at Audax pace, so thanks to Andy for putting this on.  :thumbsup:

Going to have to find some training motivation, 2020 has so far gone badly (bad head cold).

« Reply #49 on: 16 January, 2020, 06:19:52 pm »
Just as a matter of interest how much climbing roughly is there on the route in meters? Would it be the up down affair the PBP is or something completely different. Just ballpark
Thank You