Author Topic: Dry January 2023  (Read 10221 times)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
Dry January 2023
« on: 03 January, 2023, 02:45:53 pm »
Anyone fancy joining in? I'm dry so far but (as far as I'm concerned) it doesn't matter if you dive in a day or two late.

I've been keeping track of my drinking for two years now, and a dry January will do me no harm at all. I may even follow it through a little this year.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Dry January 2023
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2023, 03:12:42 pm »
Yep. I'm here.
Although day three could just be an ordinary week so far.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2023, 03:14:10 pm »
We are in.
Mr Smith is down with that-awful-lurgy-everyone-has so it's taken the pain out of the initial few days (and replaced it with coughing).

Paul

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2023, 04:23:13 pm »
We are in.
Mr Smith is down with that-awful-lurgy-everyone-has so it's taken the pain out of the initial few days (and replaced it with coughing).
Same here. It's a two-edged sword thobut: I have a constant headache that I don't deserve!

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2023, 08:04:44 pm »
We are in as of last night.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2023, 08:33:54 pm »
Pointless me doing it but good luck and strong will to all those who feel they need to or want to.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2023, 03:34:32 pm »
I'm in.  Mr R is as well (until his sister tempts him this weekend, I reckon...)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2023, 03:57:06 pm »
We are in.
Same here. It's a two-edged sword thobut: I have a constant headache that I don't deserve!

I'm in as too. Well from the 2nd as I had a nice bottle left over from NewYear's Eve. Was fine yesterday, but massive headache today.

Paul

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2023, 04:35:30 pm »
We are in.

I'm in as too. Well from the 2nd as I had a nice bottle left over from NewYear's Eve. Was fine yesterday, but massive headache today.
Delayed effect of the wine, or just an act of the gods?

I thought about finishing the year with a really nice bottle of something but I'm glad I didn't; my flu put me right off drinking, and I think it would have been wasted on me.

Paul

« Reply #9 on: 04 January, 2023, 04:39:28 pm »
I hadn't heard the expressions sober curious and mindful drinking until I read this article (coincidentally, received just now).

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2023, 06:10:33 pm »
We are in.

Delayed effect of the wine, or just an act of the gods?

I thought about finishing the year with a really nice bottle of something but I'm glad I didn't; my flu put me right off drinking, and I think it would have been wasted on me.

I’m going with act of the gods; I only had a couple of glasses so far less than my Christmas consumption and it wasn’t a hangover headache which would have come on the next day.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2023, 08:57:33 pm »
I am in by default because I hardly drink anyway.

My last alcoholic drink was on 11 December, when I dined with Edgware CTC, for their Seasonal Meal, on a VERY cold day. Ordered a mulled wine.
Waited ages.
Tepid liquid in cold glass.
A disappointment.
Only alcohol in maybe 6 months.

BIG family gathering two days ago: bottles of many types of gin on well-ordered display, all over the shop.
Big run on the TEA but ethanol was untouched.
The tea was HOT and the cups/mugs were a lovely, big size.

Everyone seemed happy.

We just aren't drinkers!

I do understand how challenging Dry January can be though.

« Reply #12 on: 05 January, 2023, 12:01:01 pm »
I work for a bottling company- we pack wines and spirits. 'Dry January' is not a phrase that's permitted in the workplace and now I have a supplier dinner next week. Wondering how I can get out of drinking- this is beyond the usual peer-pressure, it's work-boss-pressure.

Last time I just said nothing and had a glass of wine. I don't really want to, this time.

Any hints/tips/suggestions?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 05 January, 2023, 01:32:08 pm »
Metronidazole.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #14 on: 05 January, 2023, 01:42:09 pm »
Test positive for covid.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 05 January, 2023, 01:43:04 pm »
Metronidazole.

Ah! The go-to drug for giardiasis*. DNAHIKT.  :-X

*Also known amongst the Brian Chapman participants as Dolgellau Bellau.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2023, 01:48:58 pm »
Metronidazole.

*Also known amongst the Brian Chapman participants as Dolgellau Bellau.
just say "medication for the next 3 weeks" with a glum face.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 05 January, 2023, 01:53:18 pm »
Metronidazole.

I was thinking either a sympathy-inducing dental rant, or nonspecific "women's problems", which should invoke a hasty change of subject.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 05 January, 2023, 02:33:59 pm »
Metronidazole.
I was thinking either a sympathy-inducing dental rant, or nonspecific "women's problems", which should invoke a hasty change of subject.

What an excellent strategy!

« Reply #19 on: 05 January, 2023, 03:16:36 pm »

The party will consist of me (54,F) m'colleague (30,M) m'boss (41,M) the MD (58,M, previously appearing on these pages for his fondness for talking-bollocks) and 3 from the supplier (40s M, all 3 of them). Any non-specific "women's problems" will have any conversation swiftly moving on  :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #20 on: 05 January, 2023, 03:40:48 pm »
I've failed twice,  already.  ::-)   only a tin of Coffee Guinness tho.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21 on: 05 January, 2023, 06:40:25 pm »
Not this year.  Will honour Lent with abstinence as usual, last year it seemed a bit odd to give up for a month, drink for a couple of weeks and then give up for 6 weeks more.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Paul

« Reply #22 on: 05 January, 2023, 11:02:39 pm »

The party will consist of me (54,F) m'colleague (30,M) m'boss (41,M) the MD (58,M, previously appearing on these pages for his fondness for talking-bollocks) and 3 from the supplier (40s M, all 3 of them). Any non-specific "women's problems" will have any conversation swiftly moving on  :thumbsup:
Well, it’s good to have a strategy but it’s rubbish that you need one. I completely understand, though. I mentioned to a friend that I was doing it and he got quite defensive. My job/working relationship wasn’t on the line though.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #23 on: 05 January, 2023, 11:58:27 pm »
January is full of birthdays, so no, not a lot…
It is simpler than it looks.

Paul

« Reply #24 on: 08 January, 2023, 10:50:45 pm »
How are we all doing? Well done if you’re still in. We’re just over 1/4 through.