Author Topic: Allevia (fexofenadine hydrochloride)  (Read 540 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Allevia (fexofenadine hydrochloride)
« on: 19 March, 2024, 01:10:41 pm »
Has anyone taken Allevia (fexofenadine hydrochloride)?  How did they find it?

I think I may need to change my antihistamine this year and was going to ask the doctor/pharmacist about fexofenadine hydrochloride.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Re: Allevia (fexofenadine hydrochloride)
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2024, 01:19:20 pm »
I switched to it a year or so back and it's definitely better than the other 24 hour antihistamines I used to be on.

No issues at all that I can think of!

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2024, 05:40:06 pm »
I tried it a few years back but honestly noticed no difference over cetirizine (which I take year round to manage ENT stuff as well as hayfever) so after a few months got my GP to switch it back (no point using an expensive drug when a cheap one will do).

Can't say I get side effects off either.

« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2024, 05:57:50 pm »
Yep, I discovered it a couple of years ago. I found it works well for the hay fever, better than the more traditional over the counter stuff. No drowsy side effects either.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 19 March, 2024, 08:35:52 pm »
My first time suffering Hay fever last year. GP prescribed me these and they helped a lot. They warn about high heart rate and I did see that. Was only on them for two weeks max.

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2024, 09:49:11 pm »
I got prescribed this in 280mg tablets,  OTC is only 120mg. For urticaria not typical allergies. I found it's not 24 hours but would effectively run out before the day is over I took one of the higher prescription version per day. I haves since gone back to loratidine taking up to 4 one a day tablets a day as it is licensed for urticaria at this frequency.

Imho this drug works quicker after taking but doesn't last a full day. This is for urticaria but I also need antihistamines for various other allergies so I'm talking about its effect on say hayfever or dust mite allergic response as well as urticaria.  If you can live with shorter effectiveness to benefit from faster acting then consider it.

My advice is to speak to your pharmacist. This is pharmacist territory. Unfortunately we as a nation use pharmacist less than other nations. A lot of nations use pharmacist as a triage service even down to sending to hospital instead of GP. Basically closer to how we use a GP than how we use a pharmacist as a pill pusher. They can do a lot more than we often use them for.