Author Topic: Malmesbury Mash  (Read 12579 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
Malmesbury Mash
« on: 30 January, 2009, 11:39:31 pm »
Nobody seem to have stqrted a topic on this one...

Role call: Me for a start.

Chief cat entertainer.

miniog

• aka IanS
Re: Malmesbury Mash
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:01:28 am »
I'll be there

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2009, 09:00:10 am »
i'm going

« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2009, 09:54:05 am »
Me too

« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2009, 10:02:59 am »
We'll be there.  Still not sure what bike though.

« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2009, 10:10:41 am »
Mr & Mrs Blacksheep will be there.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2009, 10:18:24 am »
Me - 200km #3 - 9 more to go after that  :'(
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:46:56 pm »
Me

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2009, 06:11:37 pm »
I hope to be there, after my off on the Winter warmer my injury has become worse, so much so that I can barely walk. Gotta take it easy till Saturday!

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2009, 07:47:17 pm »
Anybody would have a GPX of the ride?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #10 on: 01 February, 2009, 12:31:42 pm »
Just seen the week's weather forecast on BBC's Countryfile.

Could be an ...... Er..   interesting ride next week.

Anyone got a pair of spare skis ?????
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #11 on: 01 February, 2009, 02:29:17 pm »
After a few winters like this one, may be audax bikes will evolve slowly towards these:

Some thoughts may be needed to improve their uphill performances!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #12 on: 01 February, 2009, 04:08:21 pm »
I'm on nights :-(

Shame, I really like this ride, and it's a nice benevolent route for this time of year.

Mind you, a 200 after no sleep is probably good audax training..

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 01 February, 2009, 04:09:28 pm »
I'll be in Zurich.

I may see some decent snow there :)

« Reply #14 on: 01 February, 2009, 07:57:50 pm »
Does anyone know if the roads are as utterly crap as last weeks Dr Foster's?  Great ride, but some of those lanes after Monmouth....  ::-)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #15 on: 01 February, 2009, 08:04:30 pm »
They did the Mash

They did the Malmesbury Mash

repeat to fade

H

border-rider

« Reply #16 on: 01 February, 2009, 08:26:07 pm »
Does anyone know if the roads are as utterly crap as last weeks Dr Foster's?  Great ride, but some of those lanes after Monmouth....  ::-)

Not as bad as the roads around Pen-y-Clawdd, no.  They are especially skoggy at the moment

I did the Chepstow-Malmesbury leg of this yesterday and it was mostly fine.  The bit from Wickwar to the bottom of the Somerset monument climb wasn't though.  It was wet and muddy to the extreme.

But if it snows this week they'll all be foul.

« Reply #17 on: 04 February, 2009, 10:16:53 am »
If the event is aborted due to the weather or you feel that it's impossible to reach, has anyone made any attempt at trying to sort out a DIY or permie for Feb? I've looked at the calendar and the only one I can make is the 200km from Cheadle (22/02/09) - bit of a drive though but I'm keen to keep the RRTY going.

« Reply #18 on: 04 February, 2009, 05:36:10 pm »
I'm now on crutches so MM is out for me :-[ would consider a perm later on in the month as the calendar events are a fair way away : Swansea to Reading / Rochdale...
any suggestions as the RRTY addiction needs to be fed...I

« Reply #19 on: 04 February, 2009, 06:56:48 pm »
Bad luck Cyclone GWS.

Can anybody a bit nearer take a stab at how rideable the MM is likely to be this weekend.  My plans were to drive down to Englandshire tomorrow and spend a day with my family on Friday before the ride, so I need to get the bike fettling done tonight if we're riding...

Ta,

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #20 on: 04 February, 2009, 07:44:50 pm »
Can anybody a bit nearer take a stab at how rideable the MM is likely to be this weekend
Lanes that are normally the bread and butter of cycling don't look good north of Swansea at the moment which is 45 minutes west of Cardiff. Main roads ok though... but forecast is for snow Wed night through to Fri morning. Take a look at these chilly figures for Saturday, both actual and wind chill:

Cardiff
Newport
Chepstow
Malmesbury

Of course, by the time I've mastered embedding all these URL's into this post, the forecast would have changed to Indian Summer style figures!

Considering the death of the four cyclists in Abergele the other year due to ice, I'll be seeking an alternative Feb event to play safe.

border-rider

« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2009, 08:03:50 pm »
Right now they are rideable.  I was over there (in the car) today; further East (Berkshire) is a lot snowier

But we don't know what'll happen in the next 2 days.  If it were me I'd start (the bit from Cardiff to the English side of the Bridge will be rideable) and then see how it pans out. If the lanes are grotty, go through Sodding Chipbury and stick to the B-roads.  If the B-roads are blocked, go back via Chepstow garden centre, have a cuppa and enjoy getting 100 in for day

We rode the Cotswold Corker a couple of years ago in a similar situation; the lanes had been impassible the day before and only 65 out of 265 started. It was a great day and we got round fine.

border-rider

« Reply #22 on: 04 February, 2009, 11:36:43 pm »
Mmm.

Forecast is for a big dump of snow in the Bristol area tomorrow.  This may mean the MM is tricky, or it may have melted away by Saturday.

It may also mean that I may be able to be there, since I am supposed to be flying from Bristol airport tomorrow...

« Reply #23 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:17:59 am »
I'm dithering on this.  There's virtually no snow here, and I've done the fettling I needed.  Unless things change markedly, I'll probably drive down this evening via the coast road and M4.  If it does dump this afternoon, I'll probably leave it until tomorrow afternoon to allow time for clearing.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #24 on: 05 February, 2009, 11:57:03 am »
Oh god i dont know . I have a good reason to not do this ride already without the thought of struggling around 200km of slush and snow. BOTOH i really want to get the season started. I might leave it until 4.30am on saturday to make a final decision. I'd be interested to know what other people are doing