Author Topic: A random thread for small audax things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 17283 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
I'm not a fan of displaying the 'points countable under the 50% rule' in such a prominent fashion.  It gives the (false)impression that points from Perms are somehow of lesser value. 

I see your point (hah!)
It only displays where it is applicable - ie in those cases where perms account for more than 50% of the total.  I did indeed consider putting a threshold on it so that only championship contenders (assuming their totals are high) would have this displayed.  Trouble is, you can't make that assumption (about high totals) and also it's difficult to assess what is 'high' mid-season, which is when this message would be most to the point.  Without a lot of extra code jiggery-pokery, anyway.  Perhaps I can adjust have adjusted the wording a bit.

Matt's anomaly was brilliant though!  ;D
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Of course I had complete faith that the system would do the right thing in time.  ;D

I felt a bit like Alan Davies on QI. It turns out that he also is on -12 points :

http://qiscoreboard.com/panelists/alan-davies/

[actually his average score]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Best to get the date issue sorted first with the ECE organiser.
All sorted now  :thumbsup: Thanks for the help and sorry you didn't get to use your special powers this time  ;D

I felt a bit like Alan Davies on QI. It turns out that he also is on -12 points :

Do they keep track of Stephen Fry's score? (c.f. https://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/18/stephen_frytard/)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
He's brighter than he looks (which may not be saying much, I know).
I used to do the sound for University Challenge and one year S.Fry was the celebrity guest to present the glass bowl after the Final.  For some reason I've never understood, they like to keep the celeb under wraps - he can't just sit in the audience, normally he would be in the production gallery but it was a bit crowded so he ended up sitting behind me in the sound gallery, usually an oasis of calm.  Not only was he quick with calling out all the answers (a very bad habit I also have at home) but he was very fast with any maths-type questions, easily faster than any of the contestants.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
There is another amusing phrase on everyone's results page, I think it's been there a while:

There is typically a lag of weeks before your rides will appear in the results.

In my experience, this is very pessimistic :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
That's on the "put in a membership no. and see someone's results" page but not on your personal results page. I wonder why? In any case, I agree it's pessimistic.

I think some extra wording has been added to the results pages to explain the 50% rule. It now says:
"Points: x (y in perms) (z championship points – 50% rule applies)"
I don't think the phrase "championship points" was there before. Or at least, I didn't notice it! Not that this explains what the 50% rules is but it does at least make it clear that it's only a championship thing and therefore irrelevant to all bar a handful of members.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

simonp

So now I, like mattc, never need to ride an Audax again.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
So now I, like mattc, never need to ride an Audax again.

Hoorah!  ;D

(We should form a club. and hang around event HQs drinking beer and getting fat. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

He's brighter than he looks (which may not be saying much, I know).
I used to do the sound for University Challenge and one year S.Fry was the celebrity guest to present the glass bowl after the Final.  For some reason I've never understood, they like to keep the celeb under wraps - he can't just sit in the audience, normally he would be in the production gallery but it was a bit crowded so he ended up sitting behind me in the sound gallery, usually an oasis of calm.  Not only was he quick with calling out all the answers (a very bad habit I also have at home) but he was very fast with any maths-type questions, easily faster than any of the contestants.

Fry competed in 1980, appeared in 'The Young Ones' parody and has appeared in celebrity editions.

Wandering the cobweb-filled halls of the official AUK forum I saw news of this handy new feature:
Members may like to know that there is now an easy way for you to confirm that your online calendar event entry has been processed and you are on the start list for that event.

Simply re-visit the online event page at any time after your entry, and, if you log in (or are already logged in) you should see a red message near the top of the page, confirming you have entered and are on the start list.

Of course this is mainly for online entrants - postal entrants may not get added to the Start list until quite close to the event date itself (or even possibly not until after the event) - but if and when they are added beforehand then this trick will still work.  And it doesn't help non-member entrants either, since they don't have a login.

Aw, Newbottle Community Centre has been knocked down.

I started quite a few audaxes there, as Joe Applegarth used it a lot, and it was the club room for Houghton CC. RIP.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Wandering the cobweb-filled halls of the official AUK forum I saw news of this handy new feature:
Members may like to know that there is now an easy way for you to confirm that your online calendar event entry has been processed and you are on the start list for that event.

Simply re-visit the online event page at any time after your entry, and, if you log in (or are already logged in) you should see a red message near the top of the page, confirming you have entered and are on the start list.

Of course this is mainly for online entrants - postal entrants may not get added to the Start list until quite close to the event date itself (or even possibly not until after the event) - but if and when they are added beforehand then this trick will still work.  And it doesn't help non-member entrants either, since they don't have a login.

... but remember that this is still vulnearble to the old issue of failed Paypal payments. (This happened to me 2 weeks ago).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

I've ridden through Alston so much, the owner of my favourite cafe stopped me in the street at the weekend for a catch-up.

(He's given up the cafe, now he's running the takeaway next to the whole foods shop, drop my name for a discount)

I've been through a few times, Dean but usually evening or night.  I think the only time I went through in the day was one of the Old 240 rides.  That time, I used a cafe which I think was just over the South Tyne Bridge on the left as you come in off Hartside.  Was it that?  It was very good and the chap was very friendly.  i might be misremembering the actual location, of course!

It was Jack at the Cumbrian Pantry (now up for sale). Opposite the town hall, around the bottom of the cobbles, not that there are many of them left now.

Not sure - going to have to dig!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
funny that, I was in Alston the weekend before last, albeit sans velo and with my little dears.
we went to the pub though, as they are not that little.
(yes I have done it by bike too, last year though)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Happy to say that Front Street in Alston is now open after being completely closed for about 5 months to replace a small stretch of "cobbles" near the market cross. It has been a rough couple of years for local businesses.
Jack is still running his take-away, near the wholefood shop. 
But Bluberries has closed -loss of trade due to covid/road closures.
Other cafes still going, but opening times a bit erratic!

alfapete

• Oh dear
Happy to say that Front Street in Alston is now open after being completely closed for about 5 months to replace a small stretch of "cobbles" near the market cross.

Good news. Is that a net gain of cobbles or a net loss? LEL riders will be interested...
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Over the years, a net loss.
Front street has been dug up so often by various utilities it was in poor condition.  Heavy wagons did not help. A few years ago the council took up a lot of cobbles and patches of tarmac were put down, it was not pretty.  The fate of those cobbles is not known, but conspiricy theories abound! A lot of "consultation" and then close-downs last year for test patches then a big shut down this summer.  Only a short length, about 30m near the market cross, has been restored, but they do look good. Has been very divisive in Alston, so I don't know if any more of the street will get the cobbles restored.
The Tour of Britain did use Front Street - a diversion round the back of the cross and temporary ramps were constructed for the day.  Most residents just made the best of it and enjoyed the day, but some were definitely not amused.

As I said, with covid and lockdowns local businesses have had a very tough few years.

Cycled through in early June en route to Penrith and was well fed by the little take-away in the square. Having said that it was a pleasantly warm day so sitting on the outside tables was no problem. I think we would have been in trouble if it had been raining.I can't remember any roadworks so must have started after the first week in June.

Here is a treat for all of you who like Alston.
It's a short video of the Tour of Britain on it's visit to Alston Moor in Sept 2021.
Made by the folks of Alston Moor, featuring the famous Market Cross and brand new length of cobbles, which were specially circumnavigated for the race.
Brought a bit of cheer to the area in such a difficult year.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F659304839%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR085uRV_6oVtrPiZq59ysB0k66FKqnoLJJUH9bD3G5WylAFkz9quRIkkH4&h=AT3Q4DwrZ-mEYvFHq1FXeCUgo54buQiwALa1FG_Ry0KouMdmO4Ar2_Oxs1s1C4i3-eu5dHfJMJxpCRE30E9SLA3UKu_vmIBR4Ay3ktxx9lLdHLI6jv7VPhktmLD7GXiqfo8D&__tn__=%2CmH-R&c[0]=AT0sYBQiUHDmGQW7YmAV0RzIl2TBYPegKUYCZd2JE1KP_leOSXJKu5NxsSZnru-L7GY1zJiaf-VlrMy_hckjxLBi5ZwofCXtXBSzDvjSlNUeuQFzjJ2Dz9t9kezkJIcZ6yrAcPKIAkm-xbx0E8b0WrAHEdD57IB6XDUoPghxw6pPjQglwtYt42pVih7HZmyIrijxqJ5d-cRx1TXIYQ

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
For those of you that may be interested, I tried out the cycle route round Lincoln East side which shadows the A15/bypass.
It follows the bypass but isn't always on top of it.
Nice smooth tarmac and reasonable width.  But it doesn't go all the way around Lincoln!

Directions N-bound from B1188/Branston to A158/Nettleham.  I don't recall any problems with them but you are advised to check etc.

on B1188 until pass Branston then
R onto cycle route approaching A15 RAB
follow round to R & L under A15
R @ cycle T alongside A15 NE
keep R at split
SO 2e @ RAB [B1190], all cycle route
under rlwy and stick with A15 (keep R) over R Witham
over rlwy
SO 2e @ RAB [B1533] still cycle route
keep L on cycle route
then keep R to stay next to road
again keep L on cycle route,
follow for up and over bridge to R
then L, R (briefly) and cross incoming side road
L back towards A15 to RAB wh
[recommended to cross at the RAB one lane at a time, rather than turning R on the path against the traffic]
R @ RAB A158 [leave A15]
1st L $ Nettleham
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.