Author Topic: Turbo trainer  (Read 13107 times)

Re: Turbo trainer
« Reply #50 on: 31 March, 2020, 01:08:11 pm »
IIRC with those tacx trainers you can flip aomthi9onnthr fitting bracket to move the resistance part closer to the wheel. Sorry can't remember more then that. It's years since I set my one up.

« Reply #51 on: 31 March, 2020, 03:00:54 pm »
Yes, I've done that, unfortunately there's not enough reach on mine for 24" wheels thouh.  Gonna take it apart this evening and see how I can mod it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #52 on: 31 March, 2020, 03:07:26 pm »
Drill a set of holes further up the legs?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #53 on: 31 March, 2020, 06:43:28 pm »
When you're using a turbo trainer do you usually keep your hands on the bars or sit up hands free?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #54 on: 31 March, 2020, 07:44:22 pm »
Mostly I ride in the same position as I would normally (on the hoods), but sometimes I sit up to towel my face down!  :-X

« Reply #55 on: 31 March, 2020, 08:59:32 pm »
Just set up the Kickr and done a test with the Wahoo app and Elemnt Bolt (won't connect to Trainerroad until I'm happy with how all the Wahoo stuff is working, ride position, etc).

Very happy with the "road feel" and how quiet it is.  Stopped before the sweat started dripping - floor fan ordered!
The sound of one pannier flapping

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #56 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:52:04 am »
When you're using a turbo trainer do you usually keep your hands on the bars or sit up hands free?
Sitting up gives you a break but your heart rate will increase, suggesting it's actually a bit more tiring.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #57 on: 01 April, 2020, 12:48:54 pm »
Planet X managed to get some good looking units in stock. But they are expensive.

My LBS say the soonest they can get units in is LATE MAY

I'm just going to sit tight and pray the government don't crack down.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #58 on: 01 April, 2020, 01:09:15 pm »
I have an old Tacx non smart wheel on turbo going begging having upgraded to a kickr core just before all this kicked off...

« Reply #59 on: 01 April, 2020, 04:03:31 pm »
Out of interest does anyone know where I could source an out-front handlebar mount for a mobile (in this case a Galaxy S10)? That would be really handy for the turbo sessions. I've seen pics of them but damned if I can find anywhere to actually buy one.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #60 on: 01 April, 2020, 04:07:33 pm »
Out of interest does anyone know where I could source an out-front handlebar mount for a mobile (in this case a Galaxy S10)? That would be really handy for the turbo sessions. I've seen pics of them but damned if I can find anywhere to actually buy one.

stick a garmin bayonet adapter (from ebay etc.) to a phone case and use a standard garmin mount?

« Reply #61 on: 01 April, 2020, 04:34:53 pm »
I just used an elastic band to hold my phone on top of my GPS unit. It's secure enough for turboing (unless you plug your headphones in - then you need to be careful not to dislodge it when you sit up).

« Reply #62 on: 01 April, 2020, 04:43:16 pm »
stick a garmin bayonet adapter (from ebay etc.) to a phone case and use a standard garmin mount?

Great idea.  Cheap too!  Unfortunately only shipping from China so there will be a bit of a wait.

I'll try Duncan's tip in the meantime  :thumbsup:

« Reply #63 on: 01 April, 2020, 06:03:25 pm »
Have an ortlieb barbag fitting on the bars, a cheap cutlery tray cut to fit a trackpad.Controls turbo without getting off the bike

« Reply #64 on: 01 April, 2020, 06:13:38 pm »
Various people have suggested just setting up a music stand in front of the bike.

« Reply #65 on: 01 April, 2020, 07:52:39 pm »
Long time since I’ve used a music stand. Can one be tilted back enough to support a MacBook Air?

I use my phone for TrainerRoad at the moment, but their desktop version is very flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:30:16 pm »
Long time since I’ve used a music stand. Can one be tilted back enough to support a MacBook Air?

Projector stand :)

« Reply #67 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:03:27 am »

Projector stand :)
Thank you

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #68 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:21:29 am »

Mine goes to within a few degrees of horizontal, but that makes it harder to read the score :D

« Reply #69 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:38:14 am »

Mine goes to within a few degrees of horizontal, but that makes it harder to read the score :D
Thanks for this. I imagine it’s stable.

ElyDave

« Reply #70 on: 02 April, 2020, 04:49:45 pm »
Used Big Ring VR for the first time yesterday, quite impressed.

Now need to do a bit of fettling of the computer arrangements for the 'bent on the turbo

« Reply #71 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:08:41 am »
Used Big Ring VR for the first time yesterday, quite impressed.

Now need to do a bit of fettling of the computer arrangements for the 'bent on the turbo
😀👍

« Reply #72 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:27:00 pm »
Fixed. :)
2020-04-03_06-25-30 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
1.6mm zintec sheet I had lying around, plus a couple of nuts and bolts to move the pivot point. Works nicely with her Islabike Luath 24.
Now let's see if she will actually ride the thing longer than 10 seconds!

I am wondering if I will have to do the same thing to my smart trainer (Bushido smart) so she can go on Zwift and make it interesting for her!

« Reply #73 on: 03 April, 2020, 07:34:03 pm »
Woke with a cunning plan for knocking up a tablet stand from stuff to hand.

Made a wooden frame to sit around a worklight & stand with a resting ledge on the bottom.  Took about 30 minutes.  Finished off with a bit of black gaffer tape (quicker than painting!)

Really effective but quiet floor fan just delivered so nearly ready to go.  Just waiting for a replacement seatpost so I can quickly swap saddles - the Brooks Swallow just doesn't feel right for some reason - poking me right where it hurts!

ElyDave

« Reply #74 on: 06 April, 2020, 05:39:25 pm »

My turbo set up for the recumbent