Author Topic: Olympic velodrome article in today's Guardian  (Read 1225 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Olympic velodrome article in today's Guardian
« on: 01 February, 2011, 12:17:22 pm »
The Gronad is not only very complimentary about the structure, saying how it has managed to incorporate all the little touches Chris Hoy recommended and still look good, but compares its architectural and financial success and likelihood of lasting very favourably with other Olympic buildings. Why should cycling be able to build a better Olympic infrastructure than other sports? It's tempting to say that cyclists are innately better organised and more sensible, but looking at the UCI one would not agree!

Read it here.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Olympic velodrome article in today's Guardian
« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2011, 12:37:34 pm »
I love the comment on how much timber was used. 

Protip: It's got to go all the way round, mate.   :facepalm:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2011, 01:06:16 pm »
Ha ha!  :D A length measurement is not very meaningful there, they should have given surface area to have much meaning. Also, I wondered why it went to Germany to be sawn?

« Reply #3 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »
so, when can I have a go?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #4 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:37:46 pm »
Ha ha!  :D A length measurement is not very meaningful there, they should have given surface area to have much meaning. Also, I wondered why it went to Germany to be sawn?

The germans have very good sawmills, they see their forests as something that has economical value whereas people in the UK see them as places to go for a stroll on a Sunday afternoon.

It is not uncommon to measure timber in length bu you need to give the section for it to be meaningful.

I make a living by designing timber structures and I am still puzzled why the resource is not valued here. In general, softwood comes from Finland, processed material from Germany and Oak from France. It is next to impossible to source good quality Brtish timber not that timber is of bad quality but just that the forest industry is not very well organiised.
Chief cat entertainer.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 24 March, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »
I've always assumed the basic problem there is that Britain is (by European standards at least) a densely-populated, lowly-forested country. Finland, France or even Germany simply have more area under trees. But maybe that's not it...

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #6 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:57:11 pm »
That would be true of some areas but there are very good forests in the North and Scotland. The timber tends to be a bit knotty though as the trees haven't been always looked after with timber production in mind.
Chief cat entertainer.