Poll

Roughly how many incident-free miles had you cycled before you were last "in collision" with a motor vehicle?

Less than 1000 miles
1001-5000 miles
5001-10000 miles
10001-20000 miles
20001-30000 miles
30001-40000 miles
40001-50000 miles
More than that
It hasn't happened yet

Author Topic: The "have you been knocked off" poll  (Read 178272 times)

Re: The "have you been knocked off" poll
« Reply #100 on: 04 February, 2011, 07:00:44 pm »
I know it is self-selecting response, but I would have to say that the percentages of people being hit are much higher than I would have expected given the sort of figures you read about in relation to cycling injuries. According to these results I would have a 40% chance of coming into contact with a car during the course of 5 years cycling. That makes it a  pretty high risk activity to my way of thinking.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #101 on: 04 February, 2011, 07:21:35 pm »
I know it is self-selecting response, but I would have to say that the percentages of people being hit are much higher than I would have expected given the sort of figures you read about in relation to cycling injuries. According to these results I would have a 40% chance of coming into contact with a car during the course of 5 years cycling. That makes it a  pretty high risk activity to my way of thinking.
Self-selection makes a huge difference! If you'd like some more comforting hard numbers, AUK just published their figures:

about 1 serious injury per 51,500km ridden (of which motor vehicles were only involved in a tiny percentage - so falling off on gravel/ice or riding into trees were more of a threat!)
Obviously this is mainly on quiet roads, but also includes some very tired/sleep-deprived riders.

(not sure what defines "serious", but I don't think there were any deaths that season).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #102 on: 04 February, 2011, 07:28:38 pm »
I'm just glad that it related to bicycles and not motorbikes  :facepalm:

(Obviously an occupation as a Courier in London didn't help... :-X)

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #103 on: 06 February, 2011, 12:00:56 pm »
[Self-selection makes a huge difference! If you'd like some more comforting hard numbers, AUK just published their figures:

about 1 serious injury per 51,500km ridden (of which motor vehicles were only involved in a tiny percentage - so falling off on gravel/ice or riding into trees were more of a threat!)
Obviously this is mainly on quiet roads, but also includes some very tired/sleep-deprived riders.

(not sure what defines "serious", but I don't think there were any deaths that season).

The definition has to be fairly arbitrary but I have taken the view that "serious" involved hospitalisation (other than a quick examination to check all is more or less OK)

Happy to confirm there have been no deaths on any Audax event until this year.  This is not to say there haven't been some very nasty injuries.  Very unhappy that record no longer stands, with condolences to the victim, her family and friends.  The sequence of events will become clearer in due course.

Generally, riders need to be sensible, especially downhill and in adverse conditions and to concentrate whilst in a bunch.  (just trying to do myself out of a job!)
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

wynfrank

« Reply #104 on: 07 February, 2011, 06:15:55 pm »
 Yes I was knocked of last year, April, resulting in a full shoulder reconstruction, time of the bike :'( Now just trying to get some miles in my legs, but it has made me very cautious on the road. The driver got a retraining program which he had to attend and pay for. I was of work for 7 months!!!!!!!!!!! Not a pleasant experience!!! 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #105 on: 07 February, 2011, 06:24:18 pm »
Here's another attempt at boosting morale:

the first time I crashed a car, I was in hospital for 9 weeks! I've never had more than a week off the bike since then, and in fact I've avoided Phixie's "Serious" category too (despite several minor 2-wheel offs)  :thumbsup:

GWS frank!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AuraTodd

« Reply #106 on: 09 February, 2011, 02:01:59 pm »
Got knocked off by a man climbing out of his car who couldn't be bothered to look where it was going! 

DanialW

« Reply #107 on: 11 February, 2011, 02:02:55 pm »
Sideswiped on a roundabout two weeks ago.

Faceplant. Five stitches on my face, nearest millimetres from my eye. Lucky!
Colossal roadrash on my arse and arm.

Bike a total write-off, with the frame bent at the bottom bracket and the crank arm bent into the downtube.

« Reply #108 on: 11 February, 2011, 04:37:08 pm »
Sideswiped on a roundabout two weeks ago.

Faceplant. Five stitches on my face, nearest millimetres from my eye. Lucky!
Colossal roadrash on my arse and arm.

Bike a total write-off, with the frame bent at the bottom bracket and the crank arm bent into the downtube.

Jeez that sounds nasty, glad you're still with us Danial!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #109 on: 11 February, 2011, 04:40:33 pm »
Jeez that sounds nasty, glad you're still with us Danial!

You should have seen the picture - made me realise quite how nasty it was - and how close to serious damage
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

DanialW

« Reply #110 on: 11 February, 2011, 05:12:05 pm »
013 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Three days after the event.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #111 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:49:46 pm »
Impressive.  Glad you're still with us.  Hope you heal well.
Getting there...

« Reply #112 on: 11 February, 2011, 08:56:10 pm »
Yikes that looks REALLY painful. GWS

« Reply #113 on: 11 February, 2011, 09:06:39 pm »
Slightly speechless (and wincing) Danial.
'Hope you are healing swiftly.

LindaG

« Reply #114 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:33:28 pm »
Jeez, that's nasty.  GWS. 

Are you in touch with a solicitor?

DanialW

« Reply #115 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:48:05 pm »
He was a nice bloke; it was an honest mistake. It was also my mistake, so I won't be pursuing him for personal injury damages.

My insurance will pay for my bike. If they pursue his insurers to split the cost, that's for them to do.

LindaG

« Reply #116 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:55:21 pm »
He was a nice bloke; it was an honest mistake. It was also my mistake, so I won't be pursuing him for personal injury damages.

My insurance will pay for my bike. If they pursue his insurers to split the cost, that's for them to do.

Fair enough.  Is that as painful as it looks?

« Reply #117 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:58:08 pm »
Nasty mate......GWS!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #118 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:58:28 pm »
Garry Broad

simonp

« Reply #119 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:49:24 am »
Yikes that looks REALLY painful. GWS

This. Plus, Ouch.

« Reply #120 on: 12 February, 2011, 06:46:36 am »

Horrified. Delighted you are ok. Best wishes.

DanialW

« Reply #121 on: 12 February, 2011, 07:55:14 am »
Fair enough.  Is that as painful as it looks?

Strangely, no. It didn't hurt at the time, and it doesn't hurt now. There's isn't much up there you can move, which helps a lot.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #122 on: 12 February, 2011, 09:07:24 am »
I've been 'knocked off' 3 times since I 'became a cyclist' in 1973

A lot of 'near misses' however

LindaG

« Reply #123 on: 12 February, 2011, 05:42:58 pm »

Strangely, no. It didn't hurt at the time, and it doesn't hurt now. There's isn't much up there you can move, which helps a lot.

Well, that's something positive.  Respect, for your magnanimous attitude, Danial, and I hope you recover completely, and soon.

« Reply #124 on: 12 February, 2011, 07:23:00 pm »
Wish I hadn't looked. And sure ain't gonna answer.

Fate and tempting BIG words in my world!
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.