Author Topic: Drug Driving - and the consequences  (Read 2080 times)

Drug Driving - and the consequences
« on: 19 August, 2021, 05:07:35 pm »
I have just watched this video  - https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/police-release-harrowing-video-of-moment-six-year-old-cyclist-hit-by-drug-driver - and I am truly shocked by it.  I am not easily shocked at all, and have seen some terrible things in my life, but this is very, very distressing indeed. 

Please do prepare yourself before watching it. 

Re: Drug Driving - and the consequences
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2021, 06:06:33 pm »
Bloody Hell.  I know it could have happened anywhere but that's where I'm from and I know those roads well.  My brother and several of his his kids and grandchildren still live there and cycle there.

"It was a simple accident," says the stoned hop-head.  Legalise recreational cannabis?!  And anyone who wants to come on and say, "Cannabis is all right, it's the other stuff that's the problem," just don't bother, all right?  Bastard.

Peter

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2021, 07:49:48 pm »
That poor little boy may never fully recover mentally from what happened that terrible day.  I doubt he will ever want to ride a bike again.

Given those circumstances, a lifetime driving ban should have been inevitable. 

The judge should hang his head in shame.

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2021, 08:20:46 pm »
It was actually a woman judge.  i agree about the lifetime ban.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2021, 08:51:10 pm »
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:46:03 pm »
Sorry, I made a mistake in my reply to Jethro.  There was no side to my remark that the judge was a woman but it was an incorrect correction!  The judge was a man and the prosecutor was a woman.  I was mixing it up with another case that has been exercising me today of a youth in our village who was sentenced for his part in a violent robbery gang.  The judge in that case was a woman and I was obviously confused by my state of upset over the two cases.  Apologies.

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2021, 11:05:37 pm »
It seems that a lifetime driving ban is excessive in any circumstance.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #7 on: 20 August, 2021, 07:00:20 am »
That poor little boy may never fully recover mentally from what happened that terrible day.  I doubt he will ever want to ride a bike again.

Given those circumstances, a lifetime driving ban should have been inevitable. 

The judge should hang his head in shame.

Some good news:

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2021, 02:03:16 pm »
That's a lovely gesture but it's still a big step further to get on the road, I think.  I was disappointed to see the culprit referred to as "Harry" at one point, rather than by his surname or full-name.  Cuddly, he is not.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #9 on: 17 October, 2021, 06:27:48 pm »
Nice work by the investigating officer going the extra mile to arrange bike replacement, and by Kona bikes for supplying it. Good PR in the best sense.