Author Topic: Sodding arthritis  (Read 69505 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Sodding arthritis
« Reply #200 on: 16 August, 2022, 02:25:55 pm »
I have just had the rheumatology consultation. Nothing much to report, other than that I should probably have had a blood test prior to the event. I'm going to receive a form through the post. The nurse/practitioner asked me if I had any allergies, to which my reply was "Conservatives". I think her first language was something other than English, but after a pause she laughed and replied "I know what you mean!"
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #201 on: 16 August, 2022, 03:10:07 pm »
Blood forms in the post?
How quaint!
Queen Square write 'virtual' requests, I book phlebotomy appointment online, pick a number off the reel, go to blood test room, tell them my hospital number, they take my blood, enter it on their computer & send it to the labs without any paper forms...

« Reply #202 on: 20 August, 2022, 05:12:18 pm »
I have not filled in a paper form now for several years except for histology in theatre.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #203 on: 27 November, 2022, 01:33:24 pm »
I had a routine blood test last week - paper form sent by email. Haven't heard anything so I'm assuming all's well.

In other news, bloody FB sent me a reminder this morning, of a post I made 5 years ago. In it, I mentioned that my consultant had taken me off alendronic acid. I probably recorded that here as well but a reminder is always handy.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #204 on: 27 November, 2022, 03:10:59 pm »
I had a routine blood test last week - paper form sent by email. Haven't heard anything so I'm assuming all's well.

In other news, bloody FB sent me a reminder this morning, of a post I made 5 years ago. In it, I mentioned that my consultant had taken me off alendronic acid. I probably recorded that here as well but a reminder is always handy.

IIRC the 'window' when you can eat, or drink milky things, with this sort of medication is very narrow.
Which makes it a pain.

I think I was on something similar, ages ago. The constraints were so awful, they are best forgotten.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #205 on: 27 November, 2022, 10:07:37 pm »
My recollection of the instructions is that I was required to take the tablets with a large glass of water and then sit still for 30 minutes before eating anything.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #206 on: 26 September, 2023, 11:00:27 am »
Routine rheumatology appointment this morning. I cycled there and the half-drunk cup of tea I left at home before I went out was still warm when I came back, but it did need 30 seconds in the microwave.

Mild pain only, with some swelling. My left hand is still a bit jippy, but I haven't had anything I have felt is worth reporting on here for a long time. Perhaps I could have mentioned the pain I was in after 60 miles or so of Dun Run, as that was very unpleasant, but that was more down to cycling than RA.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #207 on: 26 September, 2023, 10:42:51 pm »
Glad to hear you've at least had some relief from the symptoms, Wowsa. I'm tackling mine (secondary arthritis from injury, not RA) by trying to lose a significant amount of weight. Among the measures to achieve that, I've given up alcohol for the moment. After a month off the booze I've lost 6Kg and seem already to have fewer really bad days where walking is Not A Good Plan. Onwards!

« Reply #208 on: 27 September, 2023, 11:43:22 pm »
My arthritis is also OA rather than RA.
Had a conversation the other day regarding the next joint replacement. I'd been told I could delay and manage the pain with drugs. "Surely they only do that with chronic pain conditions" said No1Daughter.
Er, yes, that's what this amounts to. Some of the affected joints are post-injury (hip) but some (knees and spine) are just worn out. Luck of the genetic draw not helped by the excess mass. Unfortunately stopping drinking alcohol makes zero difference to that mass for me, and stopping eating is not encouraged.

Mr Smith has been recommended the alendronic acid mentioned above as the Dexa scan post 'low impact trauma' has shown him to be osteopenic. Apparently as an ex smoker it's not recommended so further discussions are ongoing.

I hadn't really appreciated till I experienced it myself just how much getting old means breaking down and or wearing out.

« Reply #209 on: 28 September, 2023, 07:13:21 pm »
I have not filled in a paper form now for several years except for histology in theatre.
It delights me to see the pathology forms that I designed and commissioned at least 15 years ago still in occasional use.
Computerisation seems to be very slow hereabouts.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #210 on: 25 October, 2023, 11:58:21 am »
Suffering a bout of gout atm for the first time, which I understand is a form of arthritis. Excruciatingly painful at its peak, so much so, that could not stand having a bedding sheet lying on my foot. Hugely debilitating and I would not wish on my worst enemy. Thankfully is beginning to ease after two weeks and following on line advice re vitamin C, no booze, fizzy drinks etc.  May also explain my persistent knee pain of recent months in the same leg. So time for a bit of a radical lifestyle change thinks. Really surprised to see stock cubes are to be avoided which is a bit of a bummer given the approach of winter. Need to get out on the bike asap.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #211 on: 26 October, 2023, 09:03:40 am »
I've been getting seriously painful fingers, occasionally locking up, over the last 4 months. I know it's 4 months because it seemed to start when my antidepressants changed.
Nothings would touch the pain, so I trotted along to the doctor.
He did some tests to confirm blood flow, I've now had the xrays, and it's phlebotomy next week.
It's both hands, but doesn't really fit any of Dr Google's criteria - I'm really, really hoping it's OA rather than RA.

« Reply #212 on: 28 October, 2023, 10:16:08 am »

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #213 on: 28 October, 2023, 05:21:03 pm »
I think this time of year when it's colder but also damp is the worst for my arthritis (OA from dodgy joint wear and tear even tho I'm only in my early 40s). Whinge!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #214 on: 29 October, 2023, 04:20:33 pm »

avoid sugar and grains

https://drberry.com/is-your-diet-worsening-your-arthritis/

Avoid any USAnian (or other) quackery that starts its page with "Hey folks!"

barakta

« Reply #215 on: 29 October, 2023, 05:28:25 pm »
Yes quite.

Like the people who say my congenital ENT issues will be resolved by giving up dairy when there's zero evidence base for that whatsoever.

I'm more inclined to trust my many excellent medics, including Prof of arm/wrist surgery who knew my original condition, explained why my anatomy developed and is at-risk in certain ways and that interfering surgically would cause more harm than good. He was very generous with his time and knowledge and clearly understood age related wear and tear for people with congenital impairments and didn't just clam up cos "he can't help" as a surgeon, but asked what else he could do after knowledge sharing. I loved this and at my request the excellent Prof documented his findings, impacts and lifelong expectations so I can get disability benefits and support via lifestyle management through work as needed. Basically said "listen to this person, she knows what she needs".

I'd like not to have autumn please, my pain levels are massively increased at the moment - the damp and cold always does this. My students often report similarly - especially if the poor sods are from a proper hot country.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #216 on: 29 October, 2023, 05:44:34 pm »
I believe, but I have no scientific evidence to back this up, that my rheumatoid arthritis has become less since I have mostly given up dairy.  I also noticed a very much stronger correlation with excessive dairy and pompholyx. I used to suffer badly from pompholyx, and now I just don't. It was like flicking a switch. I'm convinced it's dairy that causes that. I said this to a woman on the Slimming World group I joined a few years ago, who also suffered badly from pompholyx (my diagnosis based on the symptoms she described) and she'd never heard of the condition. She gave up dairy and within a month she told me hers had disappeared as well.

I'm a member of the National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society. They have occasional meetings. I once cycled to one, about 5 miles away. I felt very guilty, like a fraud. There were people who were much worse off than I am, including one woman, at least 10 years younger than I am, whose diagnosis was only about a year previously, and she was already confined to a wheelchair. How can I swan in there, looking as though there's nothing wrong with me (I still get occasional symptoms, but nothing like as bad as they were when this first manifested itself) and tell then all that they would all be OK if they just gave up $food? I only went once.

Pompholyx is a form of eczema that results in large, massively itchy blisters on the palms of the hands and soles of the feet. I used to drive a needle into them to remove the fluid. Then they would dry up and the blister would form a scale and drop off. Lovely condition.

barakta

« Reply #217 on: 30 October, 2023, 01:31:04 am »
I generally consider Rheumatoid Arthritis under the umbrella of "autoimmune bollocks" and more likely to correlate to inflammatory issues and potentially diet so that does make sense. Sounds like pompholyx may well be related to RA and general immuney weirdness.

For what it's worth, with extensive experience of disability communities; I find people with more severe levels of impairment or impact from conditions rarely resent those less affected or at an earlier stage of the same condition as long as you're not smug bastards going round claiming you're better than them for whatever reason or that if they'd only done X or Y they'd not be unlucky.. Most people know impairment impact is variable and random, some people get shit more badly than others. You got lucky with meds and lifestyle management (including medical retirement) but you still have RA. And while I don't want to scare anyone, RA can change at times. Some people just get the shittest type sooner.

« Reply #218 on: 20 November, 2023, 05:28:34 pm »
The xrays and blood test results tend to confirm that it's OA.

The GP is ringing me on Wednesday to discuss the results - and I'm going to sound him out for knee xrays because I'm not sure they are quite how they should be!

A chance discussion with the orthopedic surgeon who was looking at my daughter has led me to try Tiger Balm on my fingers. (Ibuprofen gel does nothing, zilch).

Massaging the Tiger Balm into my finger joints seems marginally better than placebo - it seems to be cooling rather than warming - and it makes the house smell like a Goan bordello (never been in one, but you know....)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #219 on: 05 December, 2023, 11:34:32 pm »
Two or three days ago my right thumb was remarkably painful. I actually believe that to be OA because I have a strong recollection of catching it on someone's head in a rugby match almost 50 years ago, and it hurting like hell at the time. I think I probably damaged the cartilage in the joint at the bast of my thumb.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #220 on: 14 January, 2024, 12:39:28 pm »
Right thumb being very jippy again today. Also, my left ankle is painful, but I think that might be a slight strain rather than arthritis.

« Reply #221 on: 14 January, 2024, 12:45:44 pm »
Any cycling actions involved with the right hand thumb area? Just a thought.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #222 on: 14 January, 2024, 01:41:24 pm »
Suffering a bout of gout atm for the first time, which I understand is a form of arthritis. Excruciatingly painful at its peak, so much so, that could not stand having a bedding sheet lying on my foot. Hugely debilitating and I would not wish on my worst enemy. Thankfully is beginning to ease after two weeks and following on line advice re vitamin C, no booze, fizzy drinks etc.  May also explain my persistent knee pain of recent months in the same leg. So time for a bit of a radical lifestyle change thinks. Really surprised to see stock cubes are to be avoided which is a bit of a bummer given the approach of winter. Need to get out on the bike asap.

Just seen this. Don't get dehydrated. Also, have a look at what foods are higher in purines. What I have found is that there isn't a standard set of avoids - what triggers some people has no effect on others. Get yourself a stock of industrial painkillers, kept on standby for twinges. Naproxen or similar.

Some (foods) you will be best to avoid. Gout is crystalline uric acid in a joint. Crystalline uric acid is, effectively, needles.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #223 on: 14 January, 2024, 08:30:02 pm »
GP has suggested codeine (cocodamol) on prescription for my hands and fingers.
This was after liberal application of ibuprofen gel, then Diclofenac gel disproved any placebo effect.

I'm doubtful about taking codeine regularly, but I'm prepared to give it a go - on an as required basis - if it prevents me from continuing to drop breakable stuff like plates.

« Reply #224 on: 14 January, 2024, 09:12:49 pm »
OA of hands is a real problem as there are just so many joints to treat. A colleague of mine has started using low dose radiotherapy which is not a completely stupid idea.