Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 389858 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #775 on: 09 November, 2012, 05:20:55 pm »
Good news: I rode my bike for the first time in about two weeks (all of 9 miles to the shops).  And I can still feel the fingers in my left hand.

Bad news: I'm now feeling decidedly unwell.  And I think the front gear cable is about to snap.

The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #776 on: 09 November, 2012, 05:36:41 pm »
Sends healing thoughts to Kim.

Good news. The RLPO let me in to last nights performance, even though my ticket was for Wednesday.

Bad news. I'm still jet lagged and kept falling asleep. I do hope I wasn't snoring...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

LindaG

« Reply #777 on: 09 November, 2012, 09:26:31 pm »
Bad news:  I was really quite down after work today.  I miss my old colleagues.  We went through so many bad times together, and we were like a (mostly dysfunctional) little family.  We didn't know how good it was back then, but it was, and now everyone's getting new jobs, and we've all been split up, and it'll never be the same again.  All those 4am chats, the tears, and the hugs, and the support, and the pep talks ... we knew each other inside out, and backed each other to the hilt.  It was really special, actually.   :'( :'( :'(  So many memories, and crises managed.  So many pizzas. 

Good news:  Playing out on bikes with newtoncap on Sunday!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #778 on: 11 November, 2012, 06:22:11 pm »
Good News: our son (age 23 and a bit) is on leave from his USAF base in Arizona, and is coming back to Scotland for ten days over New Year.
Bad News*: rather than spend hogmanay with us in a quiet highland hotel, he wants to get wasted with his flaky big sister at Embra's midnight revelries.
Good news: we will still be able to see him for several days.

*Not really Bad News: IMHO, his decision shows maturity and good judgement.  :)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #779 on: 15 November, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »
Bad news: Yodel, you may well be cheap, but offering 14-hour collection slots is taking the piss.
Good news: They're cheap & the bloke just collected the parcel.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #780 on: 20 November, 2012, 11:35:37 am »
Good News: my employer has responded positively to my observation about cycling safety in our carpark.

Bad News: they have responded by asking me to represent cyclist needs on the office safety committee. They don't know what they have let themselves in for.  :demon:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #781 on: 20 November, 2012, 11:42:22 am »
Isn't that Good News and Gooder News?
Getting there...

« Reply #782 on: 20 November, 2012, 11:51:23 am »
Isn't that Good News and Gooder News?
Unfortunately not, the main problem is that the approach to the building is across the front with the entrance to the basement car park at the far end of the building. To compound this the cycle cage is at the exit end of the building. Therefore rather than go past the building, in the entrance, and back under the building, most cyclists go in down the exit ramp. This works fine unless someone is driving out of the car park at the same time...

Breaking this bad habit needs to happen for safety having witnessed conflicts between other partners, but will be very difficult.

Otherwise the facilities are good, sheffield stands in a code lock cage in the basement car park, CCTV coverage, showers, lockers etc. are all provided. The establishment office even have a tool kit and track pump available.

The main cyclist need is a bit of training for both the cyclists and the drivers.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #783 on: 20 November, 2012, 02:11:54 pm »
Permeability is your friend ;)
Getting there...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #784 on: 20 November, 2012, 05:21:16 pm »
Permeability is your friend ;)

What, Darcy's Law?  :demon:
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #785 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:25:50 am »
[good news]

Quick e-mail fired off to EPD Tipper Hire this morning after spotting one of their drivers take the correct level of care when following a cyclist down a 'just wide enough to force an overtake' stretch of road. Despite WVM behind the truck beeping, the driver didn't do anything but trundle a safe distance behind. The cyclist then RLJed at the junction and the truck driver continued to drive well by not killing a different cyclist who subsequently stopped in the blindspot.

[/good news]

[bad news]

It is a shame that correct driving is such a wonder to behold.

[/bad news]
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #786 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:29:51 am »
Indeed.  I read the words 'email' and 'Tipper Hire', and naturally assumed you'd got your Good & Bad News mixed up :-[

Heartening to hear.
Getting there...

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #787 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:42:35 am »
Indeed.  I read the words 'email' and 'Tipper Hire', and naturally assumed you'd got your Good & Bad News mixed up :-[

Heartening to hear.

I don't know what building site they are contracting for around here, possibly the Thameslink works, but I've half-noticed new, blue-cabbed tipper truck(s?) driving carefully around here a few times recently. So it's either that one driver is around a lot, or the company takes things pretty seriously. Hopefully it is the latter.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #788 on: 21 November, 2012, 10:49:05 am »
BN: My usual supplier doesn't stock Monsoon Malabar anymore :(
GN: The do have Old Brown Java, aged in the same way, so am going to try that!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #789 on: 21 November, 2012, 11:03:55 am »
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #790 on: 22 November, 2012, 03:16:31 pm »
GN: The council have sent some around to fix the street lights near our house.

BN: They have turned up at school kicking out time!

Oh well at least the recycling truck wasn't here as well, like it normally is at this time.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #791 on: 22 November, 2012, 09:59:13 pm »
Bad news: when buying rail tickets yesterday, I was interrupted, got very confused, had a multitude of "senior moments" and bought a ticket to Stowmarket dated today, and a return ticket dated tomorrow. This was not what I intended.

Good news: I travelled home today using tomorrow's ticket, and no-one at Stowmarket, Chelmsford, Shenfield or Prittlewell, or any of the trains in between, inspected my ticket.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #792 on: 24 November, 2012, 12:08:31 pm »
Bad news first:   A training contract remains an almost impossible dream.   A primary opportunity source seems to have gone under.    :(  :(  :(

Good news:   One of my clients for whom I do legal and administrative work has asked me if I'd like to take over managing his business interests for him in the new year.   Negotiations start in two weeks   :) 

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #793 on: 24 November, 2012, 12:51:15 pm »
Sorry to hear the ongoing bad news about training contracts PB, it's a really crappy situation and stupid too cos you've got SO much varied experience under your belt.

Good luck with your business negotiations in the new year!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #794 on: 24 November, 2012, 02:26:57 pm »
karma owes you something positive PB. I hope the New Year is prosperous for you. :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #795 on: 26 November, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
Bad news 1: Roof started leaking in Saturday's rain.

Bad news 2: This means I'll probably have to move my bike while it's being mended. Maybe into the kitchen and then the kitchen bike will have to live outside.  :(

Good news: As there was no comment on Bikes indoors or the Illegal Guinea Pig, they're tacitly approved.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #796 on: 27 November, 2012, 02:37:38 pm »
Good news:  my new Prendas not-neoprene overshoes keep my feet dry and snug in the wet.

Bad news:  my new Prendas not-neoprene overshoes appear to have been cut to go over winkle-pickers, not cycling shoes.

« Reply #797 on: 27 November, 2012, 03:17:21 pm »
Good news:  my new Prendas not-neoprene overshoes keep my feet dry and snug in the wet.

Bad news:  my new Prendas not-neoprene overshoes appear to have been cut to go over winkle-pickers, not cycling shoes.

Are you going for the aerodynamic cycling elf look?  ;D

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #798 on: 27 November, 2012, 03:21:39 pm »
Good news: I have a day working at home today, so can be comfy and drink lots of tea while I work.

Bad news: I can't enjoy it properly because I can't breathe through this cold! >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #799 on: 27 November, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »
Shouldn't go out wandering round the city in the cold and rain ;)
Getting there...