Author Topic: Steepest Climb in an Audax  (Read 10333 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Re: Steepest Climb in an Audax
« Reply #50 on: 14 January, 2014, 06:09:00 pm »
Pendle 600 comes down the chimney. That is a terrifying descent, think I would rather go up it!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #51 on: 16 January, 2014, 09:59:39 am »
Yeah, that descent was full on - felt like mountain biking. Didn't someone's tyre blow?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:03:38 am »
I'd walk down that one.
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #53 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:04:39 am »
Bob Bialek - took a tumble when his tyre blew off the over-heated rim.

That really was one of the most terrifying descents I have ever done, despite probably never getting much above 25kph!  Thank **** for SwissStop Greens!

I'd walk down that one.

The sign at the top recommends this course of action.
Right! What's next?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:46:49 am »
There aren't many roads where I'd do that, but Todmorden Edge was one.
Getting there...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #55 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:09:47 am »
I think now that I know how tricky it is, I would now dismount in rainy conditions for sure. 

It was relatively dry (at that stage of the ride!) when we did it on the Pendle, but I think it would be very scary in the wet.  As it was, even with most of my weight over the back it still felt like I was going to go over the bars on some of the hairpins.

The sign at the top of the Chimney:

Right! What's next?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:16:31 am »
Wise advice.
Getting there...

« Reply #57 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:17:33 am »
I nearly bought an old farmhouse down a track about a third of the way up Rosedale Chimney. Needed a lot of work and the water was from a spring but it had stunning views. Practicality won out over romance in the end though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #58 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:29:15 am »
<...>
What's the consensus on the best way to climb silly gradients?
<...>

what works for me is getting in the lowest gear and pedaling in smooth circles whilst leaning forward

(if riding single speed - walk)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #59 on: 16 January, 2014, 12:03:27 pm »
<...>
What's the consensus on the best way to climb silly gradients?
<...>

what works for me is getting in the lowest gear and pedaling in smooth circles whilst leaning forward

(if riding single speed - walk)

1) Don't.

2) If you have to a very low gear helps.  I did the Cambrian 4C with a 27" gear (triple on the front and 12-30 10sp Centaur on the back) as the infamous Devil's Staircase is only the 3rd hardest hill on this ride and there are over 30 distinct sections with 14%+ gradients in its 434km.

3) Sit in the saddle in the very low gear until the steering becomes very light (for me that happens at about 16 - 18% - then stand on the pedals with the weight forward and pedal with an even cadence.

4) Zigzagging requires practice but Zigzag (as witnessed on Poor Student) is v.good at it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #60 on: 17 January, 2014, 07:11:31 pm »
Bob Bialek - took a tumble when his tyre blew off the over-heated rim.

That really was one of the most terrifying descents I have ever done, despite probably never getting much above 25kph!  Thank **** for SwissStop Greens!

I'd walk down that one.

The sign at the top recommends this course of action.

very good reasons for going to discs :)---I felt well in control down Bwlch Y Groes @ 25% descent @ 50-60 kph armed with discs ----and a dry road  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #61 on: 17 January, 2014, 07:18:39 pm »
There aren't many roads where I'd do that, but Todmorden Edge was one.

Do you mean the last drop towards the station, clarion?  I've been up that a few times (Danial's Tod Loops STARTS with it!) but I haven't always succeeeded.  Wet weather makes it very difficult - and it's pretty-well always wet!

If you mean the Cliviger end with the cattle grids and the tight beds, that really is hard work to descend.

« Reply #62 on: 17 January, 2014, 07:36:57 pm »
I've only ridden down Rosedale Chimney twice. Both on fixed wheel. The first time I only had a front brake. Never caused me any problems but I wouldn't say that it was "relaxing" ;D.
I found descending Hardknott in the rain (again on fixed) more tricky because the road is pretty rough. I did especially buy some grippier tyres and upgraded my brakes before I descended Hardknott. I just sat as far back as I could and took it very slowly.

My mountain bike with Hope hydraulic disk brakes would descend those hills very easily. I remember a very long 25% descent from a Welsh mountain when I was on a camping trip. It occurred to me that this very relaxing descent on my mountain bike would be pretty hairy on my road bike!

I stand up to climb silly steep hills to keep my front wheel on the ground. I did once fall off when my wheel span on wet pine leaves climbing the Devils Staircase. I fell forwards, so it wasn't far to fall and was more like leaning against a wall than actually falling over.

« Reply #63 on: 18 January, 2014, 07:44:37 pm »
I stand up to climb silly steep hills to keep my front wheel on the ground. I did once fall off when my wheel span on wet pine leaves climbing the Devils Staircase. I fell forwards, so it wasn't far to fall and was more like leaning against a wall than actually falling over.
It's a bit of an art, climbing steep hills whilst standing and a bit wet under-tyre.

I was climbing up to Holne from Ashburton on last years Dartmoor Devil and at the 25% bit on the B-road with smooth surface I got a massive amount of rear-wheelspin. It was the worst I've had and resulted in me landing on the saddle and pulling a massive wheelie whilst unclipping and almost doing the splits when I got feet on the ground...

« Reply #64 on: 18 January, 2014, 11:49:26 pm »

It's a bit of an art, climbing steep hills whilst standing and a bit wet under-tyre.

I was climbing up to Holne from Ashburton on last years Dartmoor Devil and at the 25% bit on the B-road with smooth surface I got a massive amount of rear-wheelspin. It was the worst I've had and resulted in me landing on the saddle and pulling a massive wheelie whilst unclipping and almost doing the splits when I got feet on the ground...

I think we should book you for the cabaret at the next AUK agm.

« Reply #65 on: 19 January, 2014, 03:54:20 pm »
Used to do the Moors 'illy Imperial , I believe it's not been run for a few years, sadly. 

The 'Chimney' is reached after 100km of steep climbs and blasted heath.  It was one of the rare hills I don't even attempt to pedal up, rather I buy an ice cream in the village and eat it as I walk the first, less steep bit.  On the steep bits I can't eat the ice as I need both hands to push the bike up the hill.  IIRC it was the last monster climb before heading back to York. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #66 on: 22 January, 2014, 09:38:01 pm »
???

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #67 on: 26 January, 2014, 11:01:32 am »

very good reasons for going to discs :-) ---I felt well in control down Bwlch Y Groes @ 25% descent @ 50-60 kph armed with discs ----and a dry road  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bit of a health warning on discs though - I boiled the hydraulic fluid on mine on a fast descent once and blew the brakes entirely. Fortunately that descent was only a few hundred yards from home.  Having no brakes at all for the rest of the ride would have been rather interesting otherwise.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #68 on: 14 February, 2014, 12:31:17 pm »
...I stand up to climb silly steep hills to keep my front wheel on the ground. ...

I tried to stay in the saddle in uber granny-gear up Small Dean lane (last FNRTTS) and noticed my bike almost doing it's best to tip over backwards...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #69 on: 14 February, 2014, 12:47:08 pm »

???

...pulling a massive wheelie whilst unclipping and almost doing the splits...

Sounds positively balletic. ;)

« Reply #70 on: 16 February, 2014, 10:47:08 am »
Went to watch the RTTC National Hill Climb Championships on Rosedale Chimney.  I think it was 1987 and won by a certain Daryl Webster of Manchester Wheelers.

Some of the riders were DNF as they simply couldnt get up it!

« Reply #71 on: 16 February, 2014, 12:59:07 pm »
It's not a proper climb until the front wheel is defying gravity and the rear wheel is losing grip and skidding round as you grind  ;D

Of course this is normally the point at which moi gets off or falls off  :facepalm:

That happens on Winnats pass.  Have had to dodge falling riders which doesn't help!  It's best not to stop as it is very hard to remount. However, not an exceptionally steep climb, I would say although motorists can struggle to get their cars up it.  Gear selection problem!

Move Faster and Bake Things