Author Topic: iPhone apps  (Read 23844 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: iPhone apps
« Reply #100 on: 15 April, 2010, 02:38:58 pm »
All right, I've given in and am buying an iPhone and have already pre-ordered a Dahon Bike Mount (to keep it dry) and a Reecharge (to keep it running).  I'm aiming to use it as my GPS on the bike.

What is the collected wisdom on GPS apps, given that downloading Google Maps might not be so easy in remote locations?

Suggestions so far include:
- CoPilot Live UK & Ireland, £26.99 (apps rating 4* / 515 ratings)
- TomTom UK & Ireland, £54.99 (apps rating 3.5* / 181 ratings)
- Navigon Mobilenavigator Europe, £69.99 (apps rating 3.5* / 525 ratings)

Anything else out there?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #101 on: 16 April, 2010, 02:26:32 am »
I thought they were all remote loaded maps? In which case it might not make much difference in remote locations?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #102 on: 16 April, 2010, 05:02:34 am »
Anyone know any good apps for copying my Facebook contacts to my iPhone contacts? I know there are a few that do it the other way.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #103 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:37:06 am »
Anyone know any good apps for copying my Facebook contacts to my iPhone contacts? I know there are a few that do it the other way.

I think the way you want us how the facebook app does it.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #104 on: 16 April, 2010, 04:55:06 pm »
I tried the facebook app and we'll all it's done is add links and profile pics to the two contacts currently on the phone but not pulled anything off my facebook contacts onto the phone.

Support Equilibrium

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #105 on: 16 April, 2010, 05:39:19 pm »
Sorry, have never used it so didn't know.

Is this any good? - iTunes Store

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #106 on: 16 April, 2010, 07:52:34 pm »
No worries, the issue is that you used to be able to download your contacts from facebook to your addressbook including things like profile pic, number, email, location, instant messaging details etc. But then facebook changed their terms and conditions to comply with something and as such you can no longer download the important info like number or email address though you can sync contacts, profile pics and a link to their fb page but not the actual details.

Ideally I'm not looking to add another app to go via if I wanna call someone. I guess I'm just looking for a shortcut to save me entering in all the details manually. I guess I could use ActiveSync on my Windows Mobile based SPV M3100 and then find a convertor tool and then tidy but it's almost as much work whereas I know the facebook stuff is usually upto date etc.

Support Equilibrium

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #107 on: 16 April, 2010, 08:02:15 pm »
Help me, I've just caved in and bought a 3GS.  Can you take them back if you regain sanity change your mind?  ;)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #108 on: 16 April, 2010, 10:38:20 pm »
Yes you can within a certain number of days.

Support Equilibrium

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #109 on: 16 May, 2010, 05:04:07 pm »
All right, I've given in and am buying an iPhone and have already pre-ordered a Dahon Bike Mount (to keep it dry) and a Reecharge (to keep it running).  I'm aiming to use it as my GPS on the bike.

What is the collected wisdom on GPS apps, given that downloading Google Maps might not be so easy in remote locations?

Suggestions so far include:
- CoPilot Live UK & Ireland, £26.99 (apps rating 4* / 515 ratings)
- TomTom UK & Ireland, £54.99 (apps rating 3.5* / 181 ratings)
- Navigon Mobilenavigator Europe, £69.99 (apps rating 3.5* / 525 ratings)

Anything else out there?

A colleague has downloaded B.icycle, which I rather like the look of. However...

You don't need to worry about poor phone network coverage with TomTom style satnav software because you've downloaded the maps in advance. I would imagine B.iCycle probably downloads maps ad hoc from Google Maps and that would be what accounts for the large price difference.

The problem with TomTom is that it's a car-focused app, so may not be as suitable for use on the bike. I don't know the other two apps you mention but I suspect the same applies.

I was wondering how the iPhone's GPS compares to a dedicated device - so here are a couple of the results Google throws up when you do a search for "iphone vs garmin":
Should've bought a Garmin? Testing the iPhone 3G's GPS capabilities — Autoblog
Garmin vs iPhone GPS -  Mountain biking - Everytrail

See also Cyclemeter and BikeMateGPS, both of which are cheaper than B.iCycle but don't get such favourable reviews.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #110 on: 02 December, 2010, 11:47:48 am »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #111 on: 02 December, 2010, 04:51:30 pm »
Big ones for me:

PlaceTrack - our family watches where we are on google latitude via this app.
Facebook
BBC News
iTunes remote - remote control iTunes on your PC from the phone
WeatherPro from meteogroup.  Premium app, but by far the best weather forecaster out there, IMO.  German of course.
SoundHound (like Shazam, but better)
Sleep Talk - records if you talk in your sleep.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

citoyen

« Reply #112 on: 02 December, 2010, 05:19:22 pm »

Love this, especially now we've got the Airport Express set up - it means I can stream music from my PC in the office to play through the kitchen speakers, using my iPhone to browse my iTunes library. I feel like I'm living in the future at last.

Really need to get an Airport Express for every room in the house, then my joy will be complete.

d.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #113 on: 02 December, 2010, 05:28:41 pm »
Sleep Talk - records if you fart in your sleep.

THat's a bit more accurate.
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #114 on: 02 December, 2010, 06:26:21 pm »

Love this, especially now we've got the Airport Express set up - it means I can stream music from my PC in the office to play through the kitchen speakers, using my iPhone to browse my iTunes library. I feel like I'm living in the future at last.

Really need to get an Airport Express for every room in the house, then my joy will be complete.

d.

If you upgrade to iOS 4.2 then you can stream direct from the iPhone and leave the PC switched off.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #115 on: 02 December, 2010, 06:36:26 pm »
Yes, but you can't get 40BG of music on an iPhone  :)
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #116 on: 02 December, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »
Yes, but you can't get 40BG of music on an iPhone  :)

Smart playlists are your friend.

citoyen

« Reply #117 on: 03 December, 2010, 11:44:37 am »
If you upgrade to iOS 4.2 then you can stream direct from the iPhone and leave the PC switched off.

True. Indeed, I was doing that only yesterday afternoon - I'd started listening to a podcast on my headphones and finished listening to it in the kitchen while I cooked dinner.

My iTunes library is stored on a standalone network drive, though the database is on my PC. The ideal would be to have the iTunes library connected to the home network independently of my PC. Am I right in thinking you can do this with an Apple TV or an Airport Extreme base station?

d.

« Reply #118 on: 16 April, 2011, 06:17:29 pm »
I've started using Stitcher a lot, very good for getting podcasts on the fly

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #119 on: 19 April, 2011, 01:45:14 am »
I love Rowmote Pro :) Remote Control/Mouse for my laptop.

Support Equilibrium

citoyen

citoyen

« Reply #121 on: 20 June, 2011, 12:35:44 pm »
What is the collected wisdom on GPS apps...

A colleague has downloaded B.icycle, which I rather like the look of.
See also Cyclemeter and BikeMateGPS, both of which are cheaper than B.iCycle but don't get such favourable reviews.

Revisiting this thread because I've just started using the RunKeeper website & iPhone app. The great thing about RunKeeper is that it's free. The only downside when using it on the commute is that it doesn't stop recording when you stop at the lights. It also doesn't let you record which bike you're using (not sure if any of these type of apps do).

Cyclemeter has an auto-stop function, and the current version gets universally good reviews on the iTunes store. Might be worth spending £2.99 on.

Reviews for the current versions of BikeMateGPS and B.icycle are mixed.

iMapMyRide looks good too but... I was going to sign up to the MapMyRide website and saw that you can sign in using various social networking options. I started the sign-up process using my Twitter account and it said it wanted access to my direct messages. Er, no, thanks. So I tried to sign up using my Google account and it said it wanted access to my contacts. You're joking, right? I gave up after that.

As for other apps...

TuneIn Radio is good - like Fstream but slicker, easier to use and with a nicer interface.

Strategery is another horribly addictive game. Like a simplified version of Risk. If you like Risk, you'll like Strategery.

Other games I like: GlassTower2, Trainyard, Cogs, Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Colorblind, Coin Drop, Surveillant, Tiny Wings, Monster Dash, Fruit Ninja

2 Across is my current crossword app of choice. Mainly because the one I was using before stopped working. An excellent companion to this app is Anagram - not a cheat app, it doesn't solve anagrams for you, it just lets you enter the letters, which you can then move around and rearrange on the screen like Scrabble tiles.

Echofon is current twitter client of choice.

Starwalk is of limited use but is brilliant at what it does - an augmented reality stargazing app.

I've recently downloaded the RingGo app for cash-free payment in Pay & Display car parks. Would be great if it worked, but it doesn't.

d.

« Reply #122 on: 24 June, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »
What is the collected wisdom on GPS apps...

A colleague has downloaded B.icycle, which I rather like the look of.

Revisiting this thread because I've just started using the RunKeeper website & iPhone app. The great thing about RunKeeper is that it's free. The only downside when using it on the commute is that it doesn't stop recording when you stop at the lights. It also doesn't let you record which bike you're using (not sure if any of these type of apps do).

Cyclemeter has an auto-stop function, and the current version gets universally good reviews on the iTunes store. Might be worth spending £2.99 on.

Reviews for the current versions of BikeMateGPS and B.icycle are mixed.

iMapMyRide looks good too but... I was going to sign up to the MapMyRide website and saw that you can sign in using various social networking options. I started the sign-up process using my Twitter account and it said it wanted access to my direct messages. Er, no, thanks. So I tried to sign up using my Google account and it said it wanted access to my contacts. You're joking, right? I gave up after that.

As for other apps...

TuneIn Radio is good - like Fstream but slicker, easier to use and with a nicer interface.

Strategery is another horribly addictive game. Like a simplified version of Risk. If you like Risk, you'll like Strategery.

Other games I like: GlassTower2, Trainyard, Cogs, Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Colorblind, Coin Drop, Surveillant, Tiny Wings, Monster Dash, Fruit Ninja

2 Across is my current crossword app of choice. Mainly because the one I was using before stopped working. An excellent companion to this app is Anagram - not a cheat app, it doesn't solve anagrams for you, it just lets you enter the letters, which you can then move around and rearrange on the screen like Scrabble tiles.

Echofon is current twitter client of choice.

Starwalk is of limited use but is brilliant at what it does - an augmented reality stargazing app.

I've recently downloaded the RingGo app for cash-free payment in Pay & Display car parks. Would be great if it worked, but it doesn't.

d.

Parkmobile works brilliantly in Basingstoke for cash-free payment in pay and displays.  Checked it out with a Parking Attendant as i was a bit wary of walking away with no ticket in the car - they get a list on their mobile of who is registered and from when.  Works a treat.  I know they operate in other towns as well, website should have the list.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #123 on: 24 June, 2011, 06:33:06 pm »

You don't need to use Twitter or Facebook for MapMyRide you can just create a username and password. Other than a weekly email I get very little from them.

I've been using it both as a training tool and for route planning and think it's a great app. Definitely suggest that you give it another go

border-rider

« Reply #124 on: 09 February, 2012, 05:42:34 pm »
http://download.cnet.com/xSensor/3000-2094_4-11307237.html

This one's interesting. It's a free app that lets you see the outputs from the accelerometers & magnetometers in a 3GS and upwards

You can wander round and find geomagnetic anomalies :)

I wonder what it would make of a super conducting magnet...