Author Topic: Coping with heat  (Read 8044 times)

Chris S

Re: Coping with heat
« Reply #25 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:49:45 pm »
Personally I love the heat.

I'm no huge fan of it - but it's infinitely better than this perpetual autumn we seem to have to put up with these days  ::-).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #26 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:53:52 pm »
A wet flannel will wipe away salty sweat deposits and help cool you.
As one who mostly wore cotton T-shirts, I can recommend drenching them with water.
Sunscreen leaves the skin sticky. Sometimes I prefer to keep the sun off with long sleeves.

« Reply #27 on: 07 July, 2008, 04:55:55 pm »

I'm no huge fan of it - but it's infinitely better than this perpetual autumn we seem to have to put up with these days  ::-).

It's not perpetual Autumn  >:(

Even though I was camping this weekend (yes the tent did flatten on top of us a few times in the gusts, before springing up in the lulls) and it's hissing down at the moment, I'm still too ruddy hot.    Autumn is when the temperature cools back down sufficiently that I can wear normal clothes instead of sitting outside at gone midnight in shorts and T shirt trying to get cool; or, as in the case of today, give up with the home working and drive to the office in search of air-conditioning.

« Reply #28 on: 07 July, 2008, 05:09:02 pm »
Hypotremia

Hypotremia is a condition known as water intoxication.

Ah, the joys of "Google Knowledge". Mis-information repeated several times doesn't make it right.

Hyponatremia refers to a depletion (Hypo-) of Sodium (Latin: Natrium) in the blood (-emia suffix). Often caused by drinking too much water.

The hypo-element-identifier-tremia terms are detailed here:- Water-electrolyte imbalance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The hint should have been that there are only 83 hits on google for Hypotremia, yet "Hyponatremia" gives 597,000 hits. "Hypotremia" also doesn't appear in any dictionary (including Blacks Medical Dictionary).

The latin-type name for "Water Intoxication" is simply "Hyperhydration". It certainly wouldn't be "Hypo-anything" since the prefix hypo means depleted.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

alchemy

« Reply #29 on: 08 July, 2008, 12:22:07 am »
It's not hot until it's over 35 (that's degrees C) ::-)

Anything between 18 and 26 is very nice - especially at this time of year  :thumbsup:

And if it's less than 18 degrees it's most likely a dead cert that you'll find me wearing jeans and a fleece (and possibly a woolly hat as well)

« Reply #30 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:47:25 am »
Also common in those taking Ecstacy or other such drugs in nightclubs.  Some clubs, such as G-A-Y, even had their own paramedic teams and gave regular advice about not drinking too much water.

Leah Betts was the famous case.

And this was reported today: Dead after drinking too much water | Metro.co.uk
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #31 on: 08 July, 2008, 10:49:01 am »

+1
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #32 on: 08 July, 2008, 11:33:48 am »
It's peculiar, but I cope much better with foreign heat. In the UK I suffer when it gets hot.

ChrisO

« Reply #33 on: 08 July, 2008, 12:39:21 pm »
I love it.

On my one-in-four weeks back in the UK I tend to ride less because I figure I'll be back in the heat within a few days.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #34 on: 10 July, 2008, 03:05:18 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.

I agree that the UK doesn't have 'proper' hot weather, but there are the odd occurrences - like the day of the Skeggy 300.  I'm used to much hotter weather.  In fact, before I moved to the UK by this time of year I wouldn't consider it hot unless it was 90F or more.  The problem is there is little opportunity to get used to it here.

But this discussion has all been rather academic - the weather for East Anglia this weekend looks a bit on the cloudy and damp side.

But information is never wasted!  Filed away for when global warming gives the UK a Mediterranean climate...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 11 July, 2008, 08:52:16 pm »
It's peculiar, but I cope much better with foreign heat. In the UK I suffer when it gets hot.

It's a bit humid in England, it could be the heat combined with humidity.

My secret weapon is tomato juice. I've tried fancy and expensive electolyte drinks and I only used one which was any good, but don't know where to get it from. (It was handed out in the Mersey 24 years ago, but they no longer use it)
Tomato juice is cheap (less than 50p a litre for Tesco Value) and easily available. At least use some kind of fruit juice if you can't get tomato. Dilute it if it is really hot. I sometimes carry a tube of tomato puree to squirt into a bottle full of water to make a good emergency electrolite drink. Try tomatoes, you'll be surprised!

Keep drinking too. Don't worry about the drinking too much water thing. You have to be pretty determind to do yourself harm by driniking too much water.
I've cycled through Arizona and Death Valley with the temperature just over 100 (It was spring, not quite as warm as summer) I took a sip, sometimes a very tiny sip, from my bottle at every milepost and had absolutely no trouble from heat. Neither did my friend who was with me and did the same. It could get serious in a place like that. Did get sunburnt pretty bad though because I sweated all my sunblock off my forehead. I started wearing my hat, which stopped it getting any worse.

I love the heat. I wish it was much warmer and am dissapointed with the weather so far this year.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #36 on: 14 July, 2008, 09:24:40 am »
At yeterday's festival in Kežmarok it was too hot to walk with bare feet.

At 1.30 am the balcony felt like there was underfloor heating it had retained some of the day's warmth, with the overnight temperature dropping to 24°.

Today it reached 35° here in Poprad (source: Pravda).

And then what happens?

This evening - 10.30-11.30 pm - we get the most spectacular thunderstorm I have ever seen. Multiple bolts of lightening out of both front and back windows lighting up everything to daylight level for a second or two. Lots of lightening went horizontally as if recharging a different cloud rather than jumping to earth. And rain like it was a monsoon, plus some strong wind. With the 2,654 metre high Carpathians just 15 km away there was a lot going on up there! And now, an hour later, apart from a few flashes and rumblings, it has all blown over.

By the way, I will be back in the UK on Thursday for nearly 3 weeks. Is it summer yet?

Well, we've been having torrential rain...

...so it must be summer!   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #37 on: 14 July, 2008, 11:28:48 pm »

By the way, I will be back in the UK on Thursday for nearly 3 weeks. Is it summer yet?

St Swthin's day is tomorrow; I'll let you know.