Author Topic: Late 90s / early naughties rock / rap genre bands  (Read 1695 times)

Late 90s / early naughties rock / rap genre bands
« on: 12 June, 2023, 10:52:12 pm »
I recall this period as having a few good rock bands with hiphop/ rap mixed in.  Linkin park,  dog eat dog and others. In the evening my 10 yo son likes to stream music and is amazed when I recognise it. He was playing dre so I returned  with crooklyn clan which bored him but we tang clan he vaguely recognised but thought was just dre.and was surprised I knew them. So i then gambled with linkin Park but find a later video if their miss electronica stuff.

My queston is, what should I have googled? What classic rock rap linkin park or other band of this genre and time? There's anther band from then that I keep forgetting but b were good back then.

Anyone know?

I love this music streaming time with the lad as it's great kids are exposed to a wide range of musical influences and genres even eras! The way they think it's all new I love.  I want to widen this out a bit.

PS  a lot of this music is found through fortnite emotes and YouTube videos background music. He then goes looking for it and finds other stuff on the way.  He's got a good memory for music too. I love it.

PPS  my gambit with the Hu was a step too far. He's not liking Mongolian metal! :(

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Late 90s / early naughties rock / rap genre bands
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2023, 01:08:16 am »
IIRC it goes by the name “Nu Metal”, optionally with extra umlauts to make it MÖAR mëtäl and includes the likes of Limp Bizkit, Korn, Coal Chamber, Papa Roach and Slipknot to name but a few of the better-known ones.  Not that you’d catch me listening to it, mind, except by accident when Helmet sneak the odd one in under the radar.

(Goes back to Sabbath)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2023, 07:26:05 am »
Mrs T suggests Rage Against the Machine, Fun Lovin' Criminals and (earlier) Red Hot Chili Peppers might go down well.

Craig Charles' afternoon show on BBC 6 Music has some of this mixed in so you might enjoy that too. You can 'listen again' if you can't catch it live!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2023, 11:46:11 am »
RATM certainly.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2023, 12:09:09 pm »
It's not really but kinda does sometimes get lumped in with emo but having been at slam dunk festival recently it's also referred to as pop punk a lot these days so your likes of offspring/reel big fish/bowling for soup/goldfinger/less then jake

« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2023, 06:45:08 pm »
Is nothing like pop-punk! How can anyone link nu- metal with offspring type music?

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2023, 08:55:41 am »
Early and mid 1990s was an interesting time for fusions, including rap/rock. As mentioned Red Hot Chili Peppers were typical of US rap/rock and Rage Against The Machine took the genre and made it more political.

It sounds like he's interested in US bands and he may be more interested in the rap than the rock in these fusions.

Search Cypress Hill and see what else is recommended. (Parental Advisory - loads of drug references in Cypress Hill).

Not rap/rock, but he may enjoy A Tribe Called Quest who were a similar vintage. Conscious rap was interesting lyrically'. Search Arrested Development.

If you find the spotify/youtube algo recommending late 1990s US3, you're into US rap/jazz fusion which gets interesting musically. Following that may take you to mid-1990s acid jazz.

Maybe search just one of these bands a day, to open a rabbit hole for him to follow.

Obviously with all this, you need to play the music through big speakers for the full effect.  :D

felstedrider

« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2023, 10:17:35 pm »
I would add Incubus.

On the British side try Senser.

« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2023, 10:46:25 pm »
Jurassic 5? Day at the races should go down well

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #9 on: 18 September, 2023, 10:18:10 pm »
The Prodigy for samples and drums, synths and guitars.

I've read that the rap/rock genre was known as Crossover.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #10 on: 18 September, 2023, 11:05:11 pm »
Faith No More, perhaps? Fishbone, Living Colour, Urban Dance Squad also spring to mind.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2023, 02:24:33 pm »
"Can I Kick It?" by ATCQ makes me want to put my foot through the stereo.

Limp Bizkit is probably the sort of thing you're after.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #12 on: 19 September, 2023, 02:56:10 pm »
Search Arrested Development.

That sudden realization I only know of them because of Paul Oakenfield.

3 Years,5 Months & 2 Days In The Life Of... currently playing between meetings...

« Reply #13 on: 19 September, 2023, 03:04:17 pm »
Muse

Greenday

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2023, 01:57:59 am »
I'd call Muse "Prog" but maybe that's just me,
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15 on: 20 September, 2023, 10:23:48 am »
For a UK/early-mid 90's free festival flavour you could try Senser. Can be a bit sweary.