Author Topic: Wisdom teeth  (Read 7558 times)

Re: Wisdom teeth
« Reply #50 on: 28 October, 2011, 02:44:28 pm »
I'd have suggested yr GP, but "professional courtesy" may have led them to say "see your dentist".  Make a fuss as stated. Phone the emergency line if necessary.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #51 on: 28 October, 2011, 09:38:44 pm »
Definitely go to either dentist or doc and make a fuss to get some decent pain relief!

In the meantime, codeine is safe to take with ibuprofen and paracetamol.  Also, I'd space out the pain killers...take ibuprofen, 2 hours later take paracetamol, 2 hours later codeine etc.  This should mean you're constantly covered at max efficiency by one or the other.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #52 on: 28 October, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »
There is an on call dentist at Charing Cross.

Phone NHS Direct.  Imply you are in extreme pain and that your gums are pussy (that's pus not cat-like). They should then direct you to Charing Cross...

(Mr R used to be based at Charing Cross and I've used the emergency dentist there before flying off on holiday  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #53 on: 28 October, 2011, 10:19:04 pm »
Definitely try NHS Direct. It won't cost a bean and might get you sorted.
When I had my trouble with my wisdon tooth, I went to a private dentist. It cost me <£200 IIRC. I never had any infection though. I suppose you could try getting a quote?
Definitely try NHS Direct though and stress to them that you are in pain.

« Reply #54 on: 01 November, 2011, 11:50:12 am »
I got through to my dentist, who said I had to just take the antibiotics for a week, and they were too busy to write me a prescription for The Good Painkillers as they had a lot of private treatments that day, which was nice. We had a family thing on Saturday, so I took why’s advice of taking the three different painkillers two hours apart, which worked fairly well, although Rob’s granddad was intent on getting me to have a glass of sherry, even when I explained that mixing that with the metronidazole would likely result in me being violently ill on their nice rug – he said ‘I’d risk it if it were me!’ So I had to politely decline about seven hundred times, bless him.

Anyhoo, I’ve now been to Kings and the oral surgeon agrees it definitely needs to come out, although he’s booked me in with a more senior surgeon because, looking at the x-ray, the nerve and the root are far too intimate so there’s more of a risk of nerve damage. I’m going to be sedated which I think is wise; the nurse said my blood pressure was through the roof and that was down to nerves being in the hospital; usually it is really low. So I’ve only got just over a couple more weeks of this, hopefully. I’m very pleased that the NHS waiting list is so short.

« Reply #55 on: 01 November, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »
Your dentist is a prize arse and I'd be going elsewhere pronto!  Not providing pain relief for a patient that clearly needs it ought to be reportable!   >:(

Glad you got yourself sorted out with Kings though!  Sedation is an absolute minimum for something like this I'd have thought!  I had my two bottom ones taken under GA, but apparently I had roots "down to my toes" (anaesthetist's words, not mine) and they had to a) dislocate my jaw and b) break the teeth in half before getting them out!  Hope your antibugs are kicking in properly by now and you're able to function reasonably normally again!

« Reply #56 on: 01 November, 2011, 12:57:22 pm »
Thanks! I’d say the antibugs were on top of the infection but it’s definitely not totally gone – we could see the white inflamed bit on the x-ray. I only have three ABs left to take (of a week’s course) so I thought perhaps he might give me more, but he seemed very reluctant to do ‘back to back’ courses. I didn’t push it because they make me feel ill in other ways…

I’ve ordered one of those oral irrigator things and am going to use it in the weeks leading up to the extraction to keep the ‘flap’ as clean as possible and cross my fingers it doesn’t flare up again.

I’m glad you said that about the sedation, my mum was very scornful and said ‘Is that really necessary?’ which made me feel a total wuss…but then she has had all four out in one go in the days when they took them out whether they were causing trouble or not.

« Reply #57 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:28:09 pm »
The bugger's coming out tomorrow!  :-\

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #58 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »
The bugger's coming out tomorrow!  :-\

Good Luck!

Hope it all goes well without too much discomfort!

« Reply #59 on: 17 November, 2011, 02:23:22 pm »
Thanks helly.

The nerves are starting to kick in now… the rational part of me knows damn well it is ridiculous to get worked up over such a minor procedure, but doesn’t seem to be communicating it to the slightly sick/squirmy feeling in my stomach….

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 17 November, 2011, 02:39:25 pm »
Nervousness is hardly surprising.
It will all be over by 17.00 tomorrow.
Between now and then: you will be doing normal things at home and work until tomorrow morning; nothing to be nervous about is it?
Tomorrow morning wiill come and go, like all other Friday mornings.
Whatever happens will be over quite soon.
Make sure you have adequate painkillers for whenever any local anaesthetic wears off.

(I had a local anaesthetic extraction at 4.30pm, which went fine. Local wore off around 10pm. All shops in area were closed by then. Instructions said NO ASPIRIN. Aspirin was all I had. At 1am, I ignored instructions, took aspirin, did not bleed to death and fell asleep after three very miserable hours...)

« Reply #61 on: 17 November, 2011, 03:03:59 pm »
Thanks Helly, you're very comforting!

« Reply #62 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:00:04 pm »
Make sure you've eaten something as late as you're allowed beforehand.
Nothing worse for a greedy blighter like me to be told "don't eat for 4 hours" when I haven't had breakfast. That, and fainting so they have to give me the glucose drink, again  :-[

Dentists are fine. It's their job to kill your pain. We need to learn to love their skill.

« Reply #63 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:08:52 pm »
My extraction took 25 mins & was extended to that since I came over all funny due to lack of food.

There was no pain or discomfort while I was in the chair & very little when the local wore off. Took Ibuprofen & paracetamol as it wore off to be on the safe side but probably only needed one of the two.

Went out for a meal & drinks with work colleagues that evening & was fine.

Just be careful brushing your teeth for a week or so! That hurts!

« Reply #64 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:13:50 pm »
Thank you. My mum just rang me to remind me that it would hurt lots and to make sure I took lots of painkillers  :facepalm:

Staff at the hospital told me to eat a meal before I came; I've got to be there at 9am so I'll have my usual bowl of porridge; perhaps a bit bigger than normal...

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #65 on: 17 November, 2011, 09:21:01 pm »
Relax it's not every time it will hurt that much, I'm down to two wisdom teeth now.
First one was a tricky bugger and caused some pain, but the second one was no problem,
I had to take a paracetamol tablet later in the afternoon otherwise no pain.

They waiting and the time in the chair are the worst, relax and you'll be fine  ;) ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #66 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:33:09 pm »
Good luck Laura! Just think of NCN 1 near Holkham Hall. It can't be worse than that.  O:-)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #67 on: 18 November, 2011, 10:53:04 am »
I'm all done, just a bit dopey from the sedation. It was indeed less stressful than the cycle route Wowbagger speaks of  :hand:

It's really odd, I don't remember a thing. Am home. Got a packet of frozen peas against my face to try to minimise swelling if I can.

The waiting was bad, but I don't remember much about the time in the chair. And I don't yet have a knee-shaped bruise on my chest...

All the staff I came into contact with were lovely esp after I told them I was nervous. Definitely a win for getting it done on the NHS in this case.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #68 on: 18 November, 2011, 10:54:16 am »
Good stuff.  Hope you heal quickly.
Getting there...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #69 on: 18 November, 2011, 10:55:38 am »
Well done, you.  I will go out at lunch time and buy you a big bag of treacle toffee.

« Reply #70 on: 18 November, 2011, 10:58:55 am »
That's fabulous to hear and how sedation should work!  Rest now, take painkillers (NSAIDs like Ibuprofen will also help a bit with keeping the inflammation down) and don't be surprised if you're surprisingly tired-possibly for a couple of days!  Not everyone gets this reaction, but some do  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #71 on: 18 November, 2011, 12:22:08 pm »
Pleased to hear things are OK.
Take things easy, treat yourself to something nice and have a good, if quiet, weekend.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #72 on: 18 November, 2011, 01:42:37 pm »
glad to hear all went well. i am currently a frequent visitor at king's after the accident a month ago where i broke four front teeth. the treatment i've had so far was excellent, now i am asked to decide if i am prepared to have railway tracks on my teeth for next two years :-\

« Reply #73 on: 19 November, 2011, 04:45:21 pm »
That's good.
I'll put my screwdriver away now. ;D

« Reply #74 on: 22 November, 2011, 11:56:55 am »
The pain seems to be getting worse – either that or I’m developing some kind of tolerance to the paracetamol and ibuprofen I’m taking. Is it normal for it to get worse on day 4? Some googling suggests it might be.

I’ve been so incredibly careful so far, on a liquid/mush diet and gentle rinsing with salt water to keep the gap clean, so I’ll be unlucky if I’ve got the dreaded ‘dry socket’ or and infection…

Codeine works best of all but I can’t be on that at work, it makes my brain too fuzzy.