Author Topic: Sun exposure  (Read 10151 times)

Sun exposure
« on: 26 May, 2009, 11:26:19 am »
It was sunny out this weekend. I spent most of the weekend outside doing exercise, and had factor 30 on, reapplying every couple of hours. I was sweating a lot, so my face caught the sun despite my best efforts, but it's not too bad.

However, I got into the office today, and there are a few lobsters around proudly displaying their scarlet patches and saying "I got a nice bit of colour this weekend".  It seems that news that skin cancer caused by sun exposure is now the fourth most common cancer in the UK has completely passed some people by.  ::-)
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Re: Sun exposure
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2009, 11:28:48 am »
Scary isn't it?  I have to be super careful, working outside as much as I do.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2009, 11:35:15 am »
Curiously enough, I was one of only three people I saw putting on sun block at Saturday's audax. You'd think audaxers would be well up on this game.

I made sure I put factor 30 on all exposed areas by 10am, but I only applied it once I must say. The only places I've burned (and then, only slightly) are where I was a bit lax on the application, and missed spots.

I was in the sun from dawn to dusk on Saturday (though it was cloudier at times) and dawn to late afternoon on Sunday (bright sun).

« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2009, 11:51:16 am »
However, I got into the office today, and there are a few lobsters around proudly displaying their scarlet patches and saying "I got a nice bit of colour this weekend".  It seems that news that skin cancer caused by sun exposure is now the fourth most common cancer in the UK has completely passed some people by.  ::-)

This is why skin cancer rates are soaring here.

As kids, in Australia, we always slathered on the sunblock. 'Pink Zinc' was favoured; it had the consistency of peanut butter.

Unfortunately, it wasn't very good at blocking uv.  My brother and both my parents regularly  have to have small melanomas removed. Every time I see a dark freckle I get worried!

"Slip, slop, slap.
Slip on a shirt,
Slop on sunscreen, and
Slap on a hat."

Great advertising campaign.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2009, 11:59:18 am »

From my local dermatologist:

Current dermatological evidence suggests that while overexposure to UV is indeed harmful, underexposure is also more risky than moderate, non-damaging controlled exposure. Moderate exposure and tanning also helps to protect against accidental overexposure.
i.e. "Enjoy the sun in moderation and do not get burnt."

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:02:09 pm »
Moderate exposure and tanning also helps to protect against accidental overexposure.

I thought this had been debunked as a myth (though I can't open the relavent articles from here).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:02:42 pm »
I was one of the very few to put suncream on before going paddling on the river with the local club on Sunday... I was surprised.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Chris S

« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:05:21 pm »
I think that's sensible. I spend long hours in the full sun (mad dogs and Englishmen... etc etc) and very rarely burn. I'm usually pretty tanned by the end of the summer, but I do use factor 30 routinely.

I think the problem is much worse for those who regularly go from white to bright red.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:05:54 pm »
Curiously enough, I was one of only three people I saw putting on sun block at Saturday's audax. You'd think audaxers would be well up on this game.

Can't speak for others, but for me it's superstition! On Sat morning I just didn't believe the forecast - a May 600 in blazing Sunshine? Shurely Shome mishtake! I did NOT want to get the blame from 30 riders if they got a soaking because _I_ applied suncream too soon.

At noon-ish I sat in the sun and convinced myself the time had come for suncream. I'd already burnt some south-facing bits, but at least they didn't get any worse over the weekend.

At least 1 VERY high mileage rider was extremely pink most of the weekend, so I got a few smug points back :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:14:33 pm »
Moderate exposure and tanning also helps to protect against accidental overexposure.

I thought this had been debunked as a myth (though I can't open the relavent articles from here).
Indeed, a damaging UV dose is a damaging UV dose. If some of it is absorbed by melanin in the epidermis the damage is reduced but it is still more dangerous than not being exposed to the damaging dose.

I am just repeating what our local dermatologist has stated. The point he was making, I believe, is that in the normal course of life moderate "normal" exposure is "safer" than no exposure at all and also safer than prolonged (even if not burning) deliberate overexposure.

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:30:41 pm »

Indeed, a damaging UV dose is a damaging UV dose. If some of it is absorbed by melanin in the epidermis the damage is reduced but it is still more dangerous than not being exposed to the damaging dose.

Skin colour (tanning, =evidence of damage) is protective against melanoma risk because it reduce UVB exposure, though you have to be exposed in the first place.  Melanoma risk is linked to periodic lobsterness, especially in the young, rather than cumulative exposure.  But the aetiology isn't that clear...

Long-term exposure (as opposed to short-duration high intensity) tends to lead to a more UVA -biased exposure spectrum, which makes your skin leathery and prone to things like squamous cell carcinomas, usually much less of a problem than melanoma

You've got to be careful with suncream though - there's reasonable evidence that when its active components get, well, activated, they are themselves carcinogenic.  The best advice is no exposure; for audax that's not usually possible, so you could use an opaque  sunblock or you could moderate your exposure early-season and become leathery.

« Reply #11 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:32:02 pm »
I was out for about 3.5 hours in the strong sun on Sunday and didn't burn. I wore the new 'Once' factor 40 from Boots, which protects you for up to six hours (not waterproof, however). It's quite sticky, but I was well impressed with it.

Being a redhead I have to take extra care in the sun.

« Reply #12 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »
I know you're up there somewhere behind that thick blanket of bastard cloud.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 26 May, 2009, 12:53:13 pm »
Sun lovely.  Brown good. 

I love the neologism of the week, "binge tanning"  ::-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #14 on: 26 May, 2009, 06:18:55 pm »

At least 1 VERY high mileage rider was extremely pink most of the weekend, so I got a few smug points back :)

I'm currently doing a very good impresson of streaky bacon.
The swelling in my forearms should go down in afew days.

That was a real good scorcher  :D

Now enjoying that Ready Breck glow ;D

I'll have to dig out the sun block incase it gets proper scorchy this summer. I do like to get a bit of tan to build up my resistance, but this weekend was a bit mre than I expected. If I used a sleeveless jersey I would be in real pain now and be heavily scarred because I've always worn a sleeved T shirt or jersey in summer.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 26 May, 2009, 07:41:50 pm »
My mother cheerfully informed me this weekend that my father's tendency to develop scalp skin cancer from sun exposure is hereditary.  Actually, my father's history of skin and oral cancers (both removed in time, I should add) rather debunks the Daily Wail theory that eating tons of fruit and vegetables protects against such things - he practically lives on them, and always has done.

Maybe I should go and buy critical illness insurance.  It pays out for any cancer, curable or not.  One little dodgy mole and I'd be quids in  ;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim

« Reply #16 on: 26 May, 2009, 07:49:07 pm »
Maybe I should go and buy critical illness insurance.  It pays out for any cancer, curable or not.  One little dodgy mole and I'd be quids in  ;)
CI now generally excludes such dodgy moles.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17 on: 26 May, 2009, 07:52:38 pm »
Pah.  It used to be any type of cancer when this cover was new.  I see Direct Line exclude "less advanced cases"  >:(

Another money-making scheme foiled.  There's always "dementia", though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #18 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:21:57 am »
but they usually exclude existing conditions.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Tim

« Reply #19 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:26:34 am »
I have heard of a case where a guy with a hefty level of cover persuaded a surgeon to open him up despite him being healthy so he could claim for open heart surgery.

« Reply #20 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:37:17 am »
I never bother with sun screen. It's a bit like wearing a helmet and assuming you won't get killed by an errant truck driver.....

I am now suitably brown after last weekend's fine weather  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #21 on: 27 May, 2009, 11:46:34 am »
I never bother with sun screen. It's a bit like wearing a helmet and assuming you won't get killed by an errant truck driver.....

Not really, getting hit by a truck either happens or not, and not because you wore, or didn't wear, a helmet for the last twelfty years.

It's more like people who drink 100 units of booze a week and claim that it's fine because they've got no symptoms. The damage is being done with no visible symptoms and then, out of the blue, that mole/freckle starts to look odd or, in the case of booze, your liver or heart fails.

I carry sun cream in the rackpack on all long rides. Sometimes I even remember to apply it.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #22 on: 27 May, 2009, 12:26:43 pm »
OK, fair enough. But sun cream isn't exactly rock 'n roll, is it?!!

I'd rather die of skin cancer when I'm 50 than be incapable of wiping my own arse at 80.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #23 on: 27 May, 2009, 12:29:45 pm »
I'd rather die of skin cancer when I'm 50 than be incapable of wiping my own arse at 80.....

If the big C takes hold you could combine both and be dying at 50 incapable of wiping your own arse.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #24 on: 27 May, 2009, 12:59:55 pm »
I can remember when I was a kid back in the summer of 1976 having my skin peel off on the beach in cornwall

Anyway, last weekend before I went out for a 2 hour ride in the loverly warm sunniness I slapped on "ultrasun" which is water proof, all day ( similar to p20)
factor 20 vs uvb and factor 6 vs uva

Mrs vorsprung says I have visibly tanned since then

I always try and put on sun screen when riding for any length of time in the sun.  Maybe Bobb is like me and doesn't burn easily.  The problem is that it is still possible to burn on your ankles or ears or some other obscure spot.  And like MV says the medical people think that burning is the biggest risk for skin cancer