Author Topic: I borked my knee  (Read 14667 times)

Glosbiker

• Gentleman Antiquarian
Re: I borked my knee
« Reply #25 on: 16 June, 2008, 05:58:16 pm »
As a member of the cycling related knee pain fraternity, you have my sincerest sympathies.

As for time off the bike, I borked my knees in early March, got on a bike last week and wished I hadn't.
Question everything, accept nothing.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #26 on: 17 June, 2008, 10:16:07 am »
Ooh, bugger. Take all the advice & get well soon.

And here am I feely sorry for myself that I've been on holiday since Friday and instantly contracted my first cold of the year  :(
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

ian

« Reply #27 on: 17 June, 2008, 11:35:14 am »
My sympathies too, nocturnal stoats snuck into my bedroom about four weeks' ago now and ate my knees.

I did get on the bike for a short ride at the weekend (about three miles) without calamity. But it was flat, low gear stuff and every little twing in my knees was a harbinger of some potentially explosive knee dysfunction. I expected to have crawl across the road afterward and retrieve my embedded patella from a passing pedestrian's skull (and what a Daily Mail headline that would make).

Weather permitting I may attempt a longer foray later today as a prelude to a commute later in the week (notably not over Crystal Palace). Doc reckons there's nothing palpably wrong and much twisting of my leg failed to elicit any yelps of pain, but my knees still don't quite feel right. Not sure if that's just psychological or not. I guess I'm about to find out.

alan

« Reply #28 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:18:46 am »
CURSES. I slipped in the shower this morning & injured my knee.
It's the left one,same as Marj.If it was my right one we could have managed a pedal stroke between us & used the tandem.
So that's both of us who will be limping into the Knavesmire later.At least I can borrow a stick or crutch if necessary,we have several to choose from in the house. ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 20 June, 2008, 10:26:27 am »
<can't resist>
So Alan will be relying on Marj's crutch?
</can't resist>

OK - I get my wrist splints.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #30 on: 20 June, 2008, 11:24:53 am »
I cringed when I read this..... I think im feeling the pain for you. Def do all the docs say i managed to do my ACL and tear the miniscus along with hyperextension of the joint. mine was done running but after 3 ops and a graft its doing well and ive discovered cycling (mush comfier than running)

Hope all goes well and dont push that knee. A second injury really really hurts!!!!  :hand:

Chris S

« Reply #31 on: 22 June, 2008, 06:25:22 pm »
Thanks to the messages from all the well-wishers  :thumbsup:.

One week on, and things are improving well now, though still far from OK. I'll be making an appointment with a sports physio this week, to see what I need to do to rehabilitate. I'm going nuts with cabin fever - I think I may do a couple of swimming sessions this week - though I need Mrs S to take me as driving is too painful.

Walking round the house, it sounds like I have a bag of marbles in my pocket sometimes - all the popping and clicking coming from my knee  ::-).

« Reply #32 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:25:53 pm »
Thanks to the messages from all the well-wishers  :thumbsup:.

One week on, and things are improving well now, though still far from OK. I'll be making an appointment with a sports physio this week, to see what I need to do to rehabilitate. I'm going nuts with cabin fever - I think I may do a couple of swimming sessions this week - though I need Mrs S to take me as driving is too painful.

Walking round the house, it sounds like I have a bag of marbles in my pocket sometimes - all the popping and clicking coming from my knee  ::-).

cabin fever:walking ? DOES NOT COMPUTE. Try being unable to walk stand up for 2 months. Get it sorted Chris and don't eat too much and get fat like I did !!

ian

« Reply #33 on: 24 June, 2008, 12:08:12 pm »
Managed the commute last week without any pain. But, the following day, the knees stiffened up and the tingles and twinges of doom resumed. Most annoying really, since it doesn't really hurt in the big style ouchy fashion any longer but enough for me to know there still inflammation.

So, this week I am attempting to be sedate and forgoing any exercise. It's hell. I've gotten so used to being active in the last couple of years that stopping for any period of time makes me very listless and twitchy. Even on business trips, I usually find a gym or go for a jog. But now, I'm stuck here, being taunted by the sun outside, the bikes in the garden, the cool water of the local pool. Argh. I'm not going to last.

Mind you, I once did a couple months in a wheelchair and crutches. I married my TV.

Chris S

« Reply #34 on: 24 June, 2008, 08:13:19 pm »
Saw a sports physio today. He's pretty sure I've done my ACL  >:(

Now in the process of arranging an MRI for final diagnosis.

Prognosis is rather grim if it is.

1. If I need surgery - up to a year to get back to fitness, after the op.
2. If I don't need surgery - up to a year to get back to fitness from now.

Bugger.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #35 on: 24 June, 2008, 08:15:44 pm »
 :'(   Sorry to hear that.

A year?  I give you 6 months.  ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #36 on: 24 June, 2008, 08:26:59 pm »
Saw a sports physio today. He's pretty sure I've done my ACL  >:(

Now in the process of arranging an MRI for final diagnosis.

Prognosis is rather grim if it is.

1. If I need surgery - up to a year to get back to fitness, after the op.
2. If I don't need surgery - up to a year to get back to fitness from now.

Bugger.

Hang on to the 'up to a year', it may be less. It depends on you.  They'll be giving you a time period based on the average person. They said up to a year to me, so far I have no reason to doubt them. I am enjoying my cycling now though, 8 months later. Don't despair, it's for the best, you know it is.

annie

« Reply #37 on: 24 June, 2008, 08:34:54 pm »
Gosh Chris, really sorry to hear this.  I can offer a foot massage but don't know what else to suggest :-\

Maladict

« Reply #38 on: 24 June, 2008, 09:58:44 pm »
 :(

« Reply #39 on: 24 June, 2008, 10:02:48 pm »
crap. Rotten luck.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #40 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:18:07 pm »
Chris,

that's a bu99er.  hope the MRI comes out with the best answer.
you'll have to drive to Mildenhall ...

good luck and get better soon
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Chris S

« Reply #41 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:23:46 pm »

I may well do that. I'll have to borrow/rent an automatic car though - I can't really trust my clutch leg...

annie

« Reply #42 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:30:24 pm »

I may well do that. I'll have to borrow/rent an automatic car though - I can't really trust my clutch leg...

I could come to collect you if you like?

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #43 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:32:30 pm »
beat me to it.  I was just thinking that unless I get a smaller tent I'll probably have may trailer.  Though whether Chris wants to spend 43-odd km gazing at my rear wheel (hope it's a dry road) and hanging on at 6" above the roadway on a dodgy bit of canvas, well ...
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

annie

« Reply #44 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:33:32 pm »
beat me to it.  I was just thinking that unless I get a smaller tent I'll probably have may trailer.  Though whether Chris wants to spend 43-odd km gazing at my rear wheel (hope it's a dry road) and hanging on at 6" above the roadway on a dodgy bit of canvas, well ...

That thought just made me spill my oats :)

Chris S

« Reply #45 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:33:49 pm »

That's really kind. It's not exactly on the way for you though. Aren't you riding one of the audaxes?

Maladict

« Reply #46 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:34:23 pm »

Not quite what I was expecting.  ::-)

Chris S

« Reply #47 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:34:45 pm »

Sounds great!  :thumbsup:

Edit: BTW - by August, I'm going to be fatter than John Prescott after a doughnut binge; 1500km cycling a month to 0km is going to play havoc with the metabolism...

annie

« Reply #48 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:37:20 pm »

That's really kind. It's not exactly on the way for you though. Aren't you riding one of the audaxes?

No it's not and yes I am but I don't mind.  Would you be planning to camp?

arabella

• عربللا
« Reply #49 on: 24 June, 2008, 11:38:20 pm »

Not quite what I was expecting.  ::-)

unless he wants a crick in the neck ...

Chris, I'll get in touch nearer the time and see what's what!  I may yet get round to replacing the canvas with something more sturdy though less comfy
note to self : still haven't booked onto camp site yet ...