Author Topic: Cross Training: Swimming  (Read 18979 times)

JJ

Re: Cross Training: Swimming
« Reply #50 on: 05 April, 2011, 02:02:27 pm »
Really works, provided you stick to one stroke.

Actually, it seems to get the lengths right even if you just kick, but the blurb says not.  You're supposed to pause it.

The stroke-counting is self-consistent, but doesn't agree with my counting.  Probably counts pushing off as a stroke, and the glide at the end of the length.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #51 on: 06 April, 2011, 06:58:33 pm »
I don't find a problem with keeping count, indeed the counting is an essential part of not getting bored for me!

Yesteday, I did 20 lengths of various kinds of specific training (flippers and no arms, just feet and no arms, fast backstroke, breaststroke form, freestyle intervals), and then did a controlled 80 lengths freestyle (in 55 minutes this time, because I was deliberately not aiming at speed but at a pace I might be able to sustain for longer).

JJ

« Reply #52 on: 09 April, 2011, 10:58:21 pm »
Really works, provided you stick to one stroke.

Actually, it seems to get the lengths right even if you just kick, but the blurb says not.  You're supposed to pause it.

The stroke-counting is self-consistent, but doesn't agree with my counting.  Probably counts pushing off as a stroke, and the glide at the end of the length.

After re-reading Citoyen's post, I re-checked yesterday.  It does get the number of lengths right even alternating crawl and breast-stroke.  Didn't check stroke counts.  It's all done with accelerometers, apparently.  And magic.

Without it, I'd never know how many lengths I'd done, beyond about 20.  I certainly can't think about technique and counting at the same time, maybe not even on the same day.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #53 on: 12 April, 2011, 09:00:29 pm »
OK, definitely getting one of them. I could have done with it this morning - as I'm off work this week, there were no time constraints, so aimed for 100 lengths...

Not sure how many lengths I actually did. Once I'd counted 100, I did six more - a) just to make sure, in case I'd over-counted, and b) to round off my time in the pool to exactly an hour. Pretty pleased with that.

I've never really considered stroke count before but I did this morning. On crawl, I was averaging around 20 strokes per length, but with quite a lot of variation, which suggests my technique is perhaps not as good as I thought. That's interesting. Thing is, I don't really know what I should be aiming for, what counts as a good number of strokes per length, whether a higher or lower number is better...

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #54 on: 12 April, 2011, 09:08:13 pm »
I tried doing batches of 8 strokes today, so seven crawl then one very slow breast stroke, then spent all eight lengths counting which batch of 8 I was on.  It seemed to work, and I enjoyed my 80 lengths, but like JJ I found it hard to think about what I was actually doing...

will get a counting watch.

(and for the record, 80 'mixed' lengths = 45 minutes, 17 or 18 strokes a length)

JJ

« Reply #55 on: 13 April, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »
<SNIP> what counts as a good number of strokes per length, whether a higher or lower number is better...

As far as I can make out, there are two schools of thought.  Swimsmooth:  there is an ideal for you, depending on you  current standard and on how long your arms are, and Total Immersion:  the lower the better.  Aim for zero.

I suspect that for most of us, they amount to the same thing - a lot less than I'm doing now.

Quote from: Mike-the-Fish
<SNIP> 17 or 18 strokes a length
[/quote
I spit on you and your 17 strokes.  Love Chuffy-The-Huffy-Puffy-Tugboat

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #56 on: 05 May, 2011, 02:17:45 pm »
140 lengths (3.5km) non-stop freestyle yesterday in 1 hour 40. I can swim 80 lengths (2km)  in under 45 minutes now, but I am trying to swim more efficiently and slower, and this felt great. I would have done a full two hours, and could have done, but I started too late due to things I had to do at work. The training is really going well, and I feel pretty happy.

citoyen

« Reply #57 on: 09 May, 2011, 11:51:54 am »
Very impressive, FM. Well done.

d.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #58 on: 09 May, 2011, 07:58:03 pm »
Very impressive, FM. Well done.

Thanks. I want to be able to do 4km in two hours by the end of this month. I guess I could already do that, but I just haven't yet, and it's more important that I can swim for two hours at a time (for the this tri challenge I am doing) than if I can swim 'x' km in 2 hours.

I have now entered my first actual competitive triathlon, which will be a month after this challenge. So in July I can start working on my speed over 2km, and start swimming in open water (because the tri's swim is 2km in Lake Ontario).

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #59 on: 03 June, 2011, 04:48:15 pm »
Well, I've done 2 hours non-stop now for the first time, but I was told by my coach not to push the distances/speed, simply because that's not necessary for this event.

And she's right, 2 hours at a relaxed pace (not quite sure how long, but probably just over 3km), mixing the strokes every half an hour, is relatively easy. It feels like I could do it forever.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #60 on: 05 July, 2011, 06:43:09 pm »
Now TTYC is over, I am switching my training to doing 2km as fast as possible (for my local triathlon at the end on the month). Currently doing it in 48 minutes. I want to be able to get down to under 45 or as near to 40 as possible.

JJ

« Reply #61 on: 22 June, 2012, 10:09:58 pm »
This thread's been dormant a while.  Time to wake it up I think.

Is anyone else doing the Henley Swim this weekend?  Wish me luck.  I'm absolutely carping myself.

simonp

« Reply #62 on: 22 June, 2012, 11:55:03 pm »
Good luck! I've had no time for swimming.

« Reply #63 on: 23 June, 2012, 12:54:44 pm »
good luck - should be plenty of stream.. (will they change direction if it gets too much?  that'd be a result!)

citoyen

« Reply #64 on: 23 June, 2012, 02:50:00 pm »
Good luck!

(Er... what is the Henley swim?)

d.

JJ

« Reply #65 on: 24 June, 2012, 11:53:41 pm »
It would have been a swim up the Henley regatta course.  The cancellation came too late to stop us driving over there, and the wife and kids hearts were set on camping so we had to.

She rode back as training for her forthcoming half-cow.  I took the kids for a walk around the regatta site. "Look son.  Here's where Dad didn't swim, and here's where he doesn't row any more.  Here's a club where he doesn't know anyone any more.  Aren't you proud?"  Ah nostalgia!  ::-)

Apparently the issue was that the environment agency were warning not to take unpowered vessels out, which made it hard to have safety kayaks.  TBF, the stream was giving the rowers a few issues at the pontoons and at the crossing points, so it was cracking along.  At my speed I might never have finished.

Dunno if I can make the re-match though, as that's the day of Mrs J's half-cow.  Time to speak to some of the kids godmothers I think.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 25 June, 2012, 08:39:53 am »
It got cancelled/postponed because of the stream conditions. Strangely, the swim section of the Marlow half-ironman, also taking place on The Thames a few miles away, is still going ahead.
I think most of "the stream" was on the Henley-Marlow road.

(Why on earth did we ride to Henley for coffee when there was a Tri AND a Sportive thru there?  :facepalm: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #67 on: 17 August, 2012, 11:14:24 am »
Went for a swim this morning for the first time since... well, according to my records, it's the first time since November - crikey, didn't realise it was that long. I've been so focused on racking up the cycling miles that I've let it go completely. And because I've lost so much weight since the last time I went swimming, my arms have pretty much atrophied - I have absolutely no strength at all! I could really feel the resistance of the water against my arms.

:(

d.

« Reply #68 on: 18 August, 2012, 09:37:18 pm »
Wow, FM's got an amazing coach!

Had to mention that, however reading about the Henley swim being cancelled because of fast flowing water made me think of http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10893835 ahh, for a warm sunny summer's day and cool fresh mountain water!

« Reply #69 on: 02 October, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »
After 1 visit to a swimming pool in over 20 years i had a go this evening.

22 * 25m laps alternating between freestyle and breastroke in about 25 minutes.

Plenty of recovery time between each lap and felt OK. Want to see what my knees
are like over the next few days before pushing it.

Primary goal is to keep steady weight loss over the winter so i dont balloon like
last winter when i didnt get out on the bike so much.

Anyone know a decent free calorie counter for swimming that doesnt over exagerate
the calorie count. I just checked some from a quick google and they have massive variation.

Cross Training: Swimming
« Reply #70 on: 09 October, 2012, 06:37:05 pm »
34 laps of breaststroke last night in 30 minutes takin it easy. Will try for 40 laps in sets of 4 and then use any extra time for a stab at 1500m next week.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #71 on: 09 October, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »
It would be helpful if those of you talking about the number of lengths you are doing would say what length the pool is.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cross Training: Swimming
« Reply #72 on: 09 October, 2012, 07:01:37 pm »
Sorry my 2 posts are consecutive and the first states 25m :)

Promise any mention of laps will include length. Fnarr.

walterrichmand

« Reply #73 on: 03 March, 2013, 12:18:31 pm »
Swimming is a great way to bond with your toddler and to keep them happy and there is another psychological benefit to this. Many people feel relaxation after swimming. Swimming Exercise is effect on legs and hands so never faced any problem.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #74 on: 13 March, 2013, 12:57:05 pm »
I'm easing myself back into swimming after not doing any fitness swimming for several years. 

Unfortunately I can't remember how quickly I used to do my normal session (72x25m), but I don't think I'm too far over it now after my third session (I'm going swimming once per week at the moment).

I'm slowly shifting the balance from nearly all breaststroke to include more front crawl each week... I did this week's set in 41 minutes, with roughly a 2:1 ratio of breast stroke to crawl.  (I don't do tumble turns, so it's doubtless a bit slow).

ISwimming does seem to have kick started my weight loss though ... although it could be coincidental (I made a number of other changes at the same time, so it's hard to determine which is the dominant factor - however, since all of the changes are habits for the better, I'm giving them all credit for the loss at the moment!)
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike