Author Topic: My life is to change completely....  (Read 11851 times)

essexian

Re: My life is to change completely....
« Reply #25 on: 23 September, 2015, 04:04:55 pm »
Many thanks all for your kind words. I am bricking it a bit but having spent a large amount of our savings on this, I can't back out....one thing...when it's all done and I am down to a reasonable weight, do I pay for my long suffering wife to have her teeth done (she wants one of those extra white veneers) or do I buy a new, Di2 geared bike.....

http://39stonecyclist.com/tag/incredible-shrinking-gaz/

Here's Gaz. Respect.

Quite inspired by Gaz as he seemed to be able to do it by "will power" alone. Sadly despite trying, I have not been as successful as him.

Good luck. I think the key thing is acknowledging that you want to change. That's the hardest thing. Needing isn't enough.

.......Oh, and it's a bugger to get slim waisted trousers.

Just brought a size 23 shirt to wear to a wedding... It was quite difficult to find and didn't really fit that well around the neck.

And telling us all has meant there's absolutely no backing out of it, and we'll be here to give you encouragement all the way!

One of the reasons I started this thread.....  ;D

Must say tho' an acquaintance had it done, she was unrecognisable, used to go walking, white water rafting etc after. However, she had a compulsive dissorder, ( CHOCOLATE) and slowly , some how, has put a lot back on. Can't stand the woman personally, and I'm glad she moved away, but be careful, there is a reason you are the size you are at the moment., and if you have an addictive personality, you will find a way to circumvent the band. 

so.....

BE STRONG

Many thanks. My issues are not with Chocolate... I hate the stuff, but with fats and fatty food. I can often find myself eating nobs of butter without any reason to do so! I also eat a lot of bread and potatoes, both of which I will have to avoid.

Best of luck!

Any last meal planned?

The condemned man ate his last meal....... we don't eat many take aways so my better half has suggested a chinese takeaway.  ;D

Oh...and all this talk about LEL and PBP has me wondering whether I could do them in 2019/2021..... the longest ride I have done in the last 6 years has been 90 odd km, so that will be a challenge!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #26 on: 23 September, 2015, 04:08:49 pm »
May be able to do 2017 yet ;)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #27 on: 23 September, 2015, 04:15:14 pm »
As one who is also well overweight I empathise.

Good luck with the operation and your new healthy life
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #28 on: 23 September, 2015, 04:33:18 pm »
but with fats and fatty food. I can often find myself eating nobs of butter without any reason to do so! I also eat a lot of bread and potatoes, both of which I will have to avoid.

[/quote]

Well, now I am enlightened, I would say , nowt wrong wi' that.  I've been on this High fat low carb diet for 6 months, and have lost well over a stone, and its stayed off. I don't  (or rarely) eat bread, pots, rice, or pasta, but loads of veg, fish fatty meat, cheese, butter with a butter topping, full fat cream etc. There is a thread somewhere in this section, Ketogenic or somesuch. People scoffed, the mrs scoffed. but now my trousers all fall off without undoing them, she scoffs no more.

My dad was always big, I mean 30+ stone big, the doctor told him over 40 years ago, to cut out bread and potatoes.....did he??.........did he 'eckerslike!  Shame really, as I feel I lost out, because he could never DO THINGS, other dads could do, , go for walks, ride a bike, etc, always was sitting down. My Sister had gone the same way, but she too has now gone with the band. I have  (had)  a tendency to overeat.. Hence my cycling 'obsessively'. and am pleased with my relatively svelt and lithe 90 kg (6'2") , although I WILL be this weight at New year, I aim to loose a bit more.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #29 on: 23 September, 2015, 04:35:38 pm »
Now I know I might get some negative comments about this from some people (not saying I will get some from this forum but who knows)

At worst, they'll be some negative comments about gastric bands, but not your decision to have one, I bet.

Hope it all goes ok for you.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #30 on: 23 September, 2015, 04:57:25 pm »
Compulsive overeating is a strange bit of obsessive behaviour that I share with you, to a lesser degree. It's not simply a matter of deciding to eat less, or to eat better. It is an urge that comes from deep down in the psyche, not from the logical part of your mind. I hope this procedure helps you to get where you want to be, and to defeat that demon.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #31 on: 23 September, 2015, 05:25:56 pm »
Best of luck from me, too.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #32 on: 23 September, 2015, 05:26:11 pm »
Phew! and there was me worrying about me.

From one butter freak to another.

Take care and Barakta's right as usual....she has a way with acronyms. FRO....must try to remember that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #33 on: 23 September, 2015, 05:44:37 pm »
My life is a constant battle against overeating and the associated weight-gain.
"FRO" is a useful suggestion for anyone who thinks it isn't a form of addiction.

Good luck.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 23 September, 2015, 07:10:16 pm »
Phew! and there was me worrying about me.

From one butter freak to another.

Take care and Barakta's right as usual....she has a way with acronyms. FRO....must try to remember that.

[OT] Smør, smør, smør, Lurpak smør!  Best butter in the world IMO.
I suppose it's what you grow up with.

I'Dd rather have a little good butter than unlimited substitutes.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #35 on: 23 September, 2015, 07:10:44 pm »
Overeating, is quite common nowdays I think, I was always making a sandwhich whilst dinner was cooking, (rude I know), The thing with Bread ,Pots etc, is it fills you up with stodge, but seemingly digests quickly, whereas, fat, and fatty foods, fill you up, (fills me up anyway, a  breaky of cheese, peanuts, nuts, salami, ham, cheese, butter and an egg and 3-4 crispbreads, ) and by lunch time, your still not hungry. A dinner with some fat content no carbs, and full up again, no snacking after. Mostly tho' I ride 40-60km before breakfast (fasted) , then think , stuff it I'm not hungry, so have a brunch instead.

If I wasn't physically active, I rekon I'd be a slob, and I be joining you on the BAND wagon!   But in all honesty no I won't get like that, ever. I see my dad in my mind , and think NO, put that food back, and get off your backside.

These are exciting times for you, and your family, a journey that will lead to many good things, a journey that you can all be part of, Enjoy the very best , of the rest , of your life.   :)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #36 on: 23 September, 2015, 07:27:00 pm »
Good for you, and wish you every success with the journey.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #37 on: 23 September, 2015, 09:58:40 pm »
Luck!
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #38 on: 23 September, 2015, 10:30:21 pm »
Good luck from over here too  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #39 on: 23 September, 2015, 10:40:56 pm »
Best wishes.  None of that sounds easy...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #40 on: 23 September, 2015, 10:47:53 pm »
Best of luck from me. I too know about overeating and overweight, but I have never been more than 120kg. That's too damned much.

I have had NHS "MOTs" and have been told that my blood pressure  (low/middling) and reasonable amount of gentle exercise mean that I am at low risk of cardiovascular disease. I go through phases of losing weight, but they invariably coincide with the periods in which I am cycling lots. I lost over half a stone in the fortnight I was in Scotland without actually trying to lose weight, just cycling up sodding great hills in cold weather.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #41 on: 24 September, 2015, 12:54:01 am »
Good luck, hope it helps the physical side of things. I have a  close friend that had the gastric Bypass, not band, a few years ago. She lost 18 stone over a couple of years. she does still struggle with overeating problems and, unlike the band, they can't go in and adjust it a bit. 
I would jump at the chance for the band (173cm and 122kg) but would have to be prepared to fight the addictive side of things.
I do know a couple of people that had the banding and both say it was a Great thing and a Life saver.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #42 on: 24 September, 2015, 12:54:32 am »
And best wished from me, too, another inveterate eater currently agonising over 105kg. I hope that this will be an exciting start of a tough but rewarding road for you.

« Reply #43 on: 24 September, 2015, 09:57:24 am »
Good Luck, Ian, on what must have been a very tough decision.

« Reply #44 on: 24 September, 2015, 10:01:15 am »
Hope everything goes well for you.   

You're a brave man to go for it and even more brave to share it with a bunch of cynics cyclists on the internet.   :D   :thumbsup:

essexian

« Reply #45 on: 24 September, 2015, 11:51:23 am »

You're a brave man to go for it and even more brave to share it with a bunch of cynics cyclists on the internet.   :D   :thumbsup:

Thanks for the laugh. I think you are a lovely bunch on this site so felt safe coming out to you in the way I did.

Well I have started the pre-op build up by weighing myself (127.8kg) and taking my measurements.... lets put it this way, I look like this in a suit at my nephews recent wedding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uHvzwYIO4w

Actually, for those with a strong constitution, this is me doing my one and only time trial a couple of year back...

(click to show/hide)

And I am larger than that at the moment....  :facepalm:

The good news also is that my food for five weeks has arrived. This should help me get on the straight and narrow from the start of the process.

2015-09-24_08-44-04 by essexian, on Flickr

Finally, rather than keep updating this with my daily struggles, I thought I would start a blog the address of which I will add to my profile in due course. However, I will let you all know how I am getting on from time to time.

Thanks again.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #46 on: 24 September, 2015, 12:18:03 pm »
good luck, no one can understand anyone else until they live in their shoes.

Brave of you to post as well

« Reply #47 on: 24 September, 2015, 02:42:41 pm »

Good luck, enjoy your new life  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #48 on: 24 September, 2015, 02:45:43 pm »
The good news also is that my food for five weeks has arrived. This should help me get on the straight and narrow from the start of the process.

2015-09-24_08-44-04 by essexian, on Flickr

Just one kitten to eat for five weeks? That's pretty drastic!
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #49 on: 24 September, 2015, 03:45:33 pm »
^^^^^^^

Don't tell Schrodinger his cat has escaped form the box and therefore it must be alive!

Best of luck on what people have already said was no doubt a difficult decision.  And much respect for taking the decision to pay for the procedure yourself.