Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400789 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2325 on: 29 July, 2020, 03:09:04 pm »
Just started c25k again. I tried it a few years ago, but gave up after injuries. I'm a big guy (although getting slimmer now) and running is hard on my knees and ankles.

I intend to take it really easy, to avoid injuries again and to give my body a chance to catch up. The first session was fine, fitness wise, as I've been doing a lot of work on the turbo so my fitness is pretty good. A few knee twinges and my ankles are aching like anything a few hours later.

I'll leave it a few days before the next one. Fingers crossed.

« Reply #2326 on: 29 July, 2020, 04:46:14 pm »
Just started c25k again. I tried it a few years ago, but gave up after injuries. I'm a big guy (although getting slimmer now) and running is hard on my knees and ankles.

I intend to take it really easy, to avoid injuries again and to give my body a chance to catch up. The first session was fine, fitness wise, as I've been doing a lot of work on the turbo so my fitness is pretty good. A few knee twinges and my ankles are aching like anything a few hours later.

I'll leave it a few days before the next one. Fingers crossed.

Join us on Beardy's C25K thread.   The numbers are small but growing and some of us have finally cracked C25K and have moved on.  It's the best non-cycling support thread on YACF.
 Probably.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2327 on: 29 July, 2020, 06:09:55 pm »
In general, a large increase in individual run distance will come with an increased risk of injury. Plenty of people get away with going 5k to 10k, but some don't. I'm glad you got away with it.

A few years ago, when I was Very Fit Indeed, I was regularly running 8-10km 3-4 times a week. I entered a tough trail marathon, fully intending to build up to it properly. Thought it would be a good idea to do an 'easy' marathon before it by way of preparation.

As it turned out, the local annual marathon happened to be a week before the trail marathon, so I entered that.

For various reasons, my training didn't go to plan, so while I was still doing a fair bit of cycling, my running was not going so well.

I still did both marathons, but they nearly killed me. I couldn't run again for months afterwards, and I'm sure that was the start of my general decline in fitness that I have still not properly recovered from five years later - although there have been a number of other factors in that as well.

So yeah, a salutary lesson - don't overdo it, you will pay for it.

I probably would have been fine if I'd just done the 'easy' marathon.

Managed a nice gentle plod round my favourite 8km loop through the woods yesterday evening - first run for a couple of months, in fact - and really enjoyed it. Mainly because I didn't look at my watch once during the run, so had no idea how slow my pace was. I have to remind myself it doesn't matter - just doing the run is the most important thing. Bit of muscle soreness today but with that and the increase in my cycling lately as well, I feel like I'm starting to get the bug again.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2328 on: 30 July, 2020, 12:51:05 pm »
went out this morning for a longish easy run before the heatwave strikes. how long and how easy? initially set off for 10k and settled for 5:25 pace. as i was heading home i thought maybe i should extend my run further. so carried on along the river and decided to turn back home with the (would be) total of 21.1k. legs tired, couple of blisters, but no pain in joints or ligaments.

« Reply #2329 on: 30 July, 2020, 01:06:34 pm »
Nice work. Haven't done a HM length run for over a year (indeed, last run >10km was London Marathon 2019). Will start lengthening my Sunday long runs from September onwards (although I've got a blood donation appointment mid-Sep).

Should hit 115km for July assuming I don't find a reason not to do my 5k recovery run tomorrow.

August will be a bit lower, depends on whether I get out for a few runs whilst on holiday.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2330 on: 02 August, 2020, 08:30:42 am »
Not run this week at all.  starting work too early and too hot when i finished. A few walks with my wife for her exercise and a couple of bike sessions.  So this morning I had an hour when she would be out doing the early service and I could run before i set up the streaming.  6.6km in 39.51 with a 29minute 5k.  A new PB. Really pleased.

« Reply #2331 on: 02 August, 2020, 05:21:57 pm »
Not run this week at all.  starting work too early and too hot when i finished. A few walks with my wife for her exercise and a couple of bike sessions.  So this morning I had an hour when she would be out doing the early service and I could run before i set up the streaming.  6.6km in 39.51 with a 29minute 5k.  A new PB. Really pleased.

Good going Chris:)

« Reply #2332 on: 04 August, 2020, 04:11:43 pm »
5x1km intervals today with 100sec walking recovery between each. Target was 5:34/km pace.

Intervals done in 5:32, 5:30, 5:26, 5:29 and 5:29. Only got up to 171bpm too (10bpm off my general limit for anything other than the sprint to a finish line).

However, that's because this was only 5x1km intervals at just shy (+20s/km) of 5k pace, I've got to build up to doing 8x1km intervals (at just shy of 5k pace) which is where the fun comes in. The last couple of those intervals get rather hideous unsurprisingly.

The other intervals are also building up towards 10x800m at 5k pace and 6x1600m at just shy of 5k pace.

Tuesdays are fun, honest!

« Reply #2333 on: 05 August, 2020, 08:17:11 am »
5k this morning at a deliberately slower pace.  Would have been happy with 7min and ended up with 6:26/km.  This followed 2 days of commuting by bike.

And another 2lbs weight loss.

« Reply #2334 on: 09 August, 2020, 09:37:05 am »
A first for me, running before breakfast. It's going to be too hot later, so I got my kit ready last night.
I'd decided that, if I woke up before MrsC, which I tend to, I'd go out rather than lie there reading.
Nice temperature, but rather humid.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2335 on: 10 August, 2020, 05:57:33 pm »
5x1km intervals today with 100sec walking recovery between each. Target was 5:34/km pace.

Intervals done in 5:32, 5:30, 5:26, 5:29 and 5:29. Only got up to 171bpm too (10bpm off my general limit for anything other than the sprint to a finish line).

However, that's because this was only 5x1km intervals at just shy (+20s/km) of 5k pace, I've got to build up to doing 8x1km intervals (at just shy of 5k pace) which is where the fun comes in. The last couple of those intervals get rather hideous unsurprisingly.

The other intervals are also building up towards 10x800m at 5k pace and 6x1600m at just shy of 5k pace.

Tuesdays are fun, honest!

My good friend is doing 500 fast 100 jog 100 fast 500 jog x 6-8 on Tuesdays and some ‘entertaining’ threshold intervals On Thursdays. Every couple of weeks an acceleration run gets thrown in. Should help her 10km times somewhat, and probably her 5kn times too.

Davef

« Reply #2336 on: 10 August, 2020, 08:01:23 pm »
What I found quite useful when aiming for a specific 5k time (20min in my case) was to run 800m at target pace then 200m walk repeated 5 times to make 5k. Then over 3 or 4 weeks increase the pace of the 200m to jog then run then race pace. Not sure of the science but it took me from 21 to sub 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2337 on: 13 August, 2020, 09:01:09 am »
good work and decent progress everyone, improving fitness and shedding weight.

6.4km loop around the o2 arena today. pushed quite hard and managed 19:18 5k. as the rain is coming i can now rest and recover with a clear conscience :)

« Reply #2338 on: 13 August, 2020, 09:54:35 am »
Nice running ZigZag

I've been continuing to build up distance, sometimes doing fast-steady 10-20km, sometimes doing slower runs. Fast-steady = 5 min per km pace for me; it's a pace that I can reasonably comfortably hold over 15km, but I'm feeling it at 20km. I had a pretty slow one at the weekend - 22km in 3 hours. In my defence, there was 800m ascent, and it was almost entirely offroad and outrageously hot. I needed to walk a few descents, but I think it's a good way to build into really long distance, where most people do seem to run-walk.

Unfortunately I've injured myself by falling over on rock slabs this week. My legs are just cut up, so after a day off I seem to be back able to run. I also dislocated a finger, which is still pretty swollen (along with the fingers either side) so I can't ride a bike or hold a pen.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2339 on: 13 August, 2020, 10:08:14 am »
Unfortunately I've injured myself by falling over on rock slabs this week. My legs are just cut up, so after a day off I seem to be back able to run. I also dislocated a finger, which is still pretty swollen (along with the fingers either side) so I can't ride a bike or hold a pen.

oh dear, heal soon. it's only when they don't work you realise how important fingers are in most day-to-day activities.

« Reply #2340 on: 14 August, 2020, 02:39:35 pm »
Could have done without the 93% humidity this morning.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2341 on: 19 August, 2020, 10:46:45 am »
lovely morning today for a half-marathon. i may start running hm once a month.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2342 on: 21 August, 2020, 10:33:38 am »
good weather for running (or strava cycle-doping) today. did eight laps around my local park today amounting to ten miles. legs still tired two days after the half-marathon. passing by the same dog walkers going around the opposite direction many times, almost getting to know them!

« Reply #2343 on: 21 August, 2020, 04:56:29 pm »
So I headed out with the idea of maybe doing 10k (for only the second time) but not set on it, thought I'd see how I felt after five.

Did a 5 minute warm up and then set off jogging at my usual pace, I was a couple minutes into the first km before I checked my pace as I'm trying to look at my watch less and get used to running by feel. Well that obviously doesn't work because I was at an average of 5:11/km at that point rather than my usual 5:20-5:45.

Well I finished that km in 5:11 and then did the next two at practically the same speed when I had expected my pace to naturally drop. At that point I thought I was on for a good time so I upped the pace for kilometre #4.

Finished that km in sub five minutes and a quick bit of mental maths had me realising if I did similar for the last k I could get sub 26 minutes!

So I huffed and puffed and towards the end was running with one eye on the watch and it just ticked over the minute and I was four seconds too late 😭
Then I realised my mental maths was wacky and actually I was well sub 26 and only four seconds off sub 25!! A PB of 1:14 on my previous fastest!

Needless to say I walked home from there and did not do another 5km.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2344 on: 23 August, 2020, 02:39:38 pm »
cooler weather makes a big difference to heart rate and perceived effort; avg 145bpm today at 4:30 pace over 8km. autumn and winter look promising!

(had to climb over 2m pointy gate/fence, twice, on my run - it was locked for some reason..)

« Reply #2345 on: 26 August, 2020, 04:52:24 pm »
Went for a run while on holiday. First was 5km on soft sand. My dodgy old bits didn't like that much.

Moved location and then had a 5km trot up and down a stony, rutted track. Really enjoyed it, although my legs were sore for the next two days. A bit of jogging in Cambridge does not prepare you for running downhill!

Then repeated and lengthened the track route. Finally got my hill technique back and really, really enjoyed it. Best of all, no sort bits afterwards. Fastest 1km (downhill) for me, at 4:01. Was taking it easyish, just shows what an incredible difference running downhill can make (if technique is good).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2346 on: 28 August, 2020, 01:47:32 pm »
Today was a long run day - pushing to furthest ever in a single run at 29km. I'd like to have pushed on for another 5 minutes to get 30km, but I ran past the car at 25km*, and then again at 28.7km. I could push on for 300m to make a round km, but I couldn't con myself into another km. Good news is that I managed to keep an average pace of 5 min/km. Not too hilly today, just a bit of rolling terrain giving me only 250m ascent over that distance. I felt really good over 10-16km, pretty good at 20km, but went from "I'm pretty ok" to "this is hard" very quickly at about 22-24km.

*one of my dogs was flagging, so we diverted to put them all in the car whilst I did another 20 min.

« Reply #2347 on: 29 August, 2020, 04:54:19 pm »
Today was a long run day - pushing to furthest ever in a single run at 29km. I'd like to have pushed on for another 5 minutes to get 30km, but I ran past the car at 25km*, and then again at 28.7km. I could push on for 300m to make a round km, but I couldn't con myself into another km. Good news is that I managed to keep an average pace of 5 min/km. Not too hilly today, just a bit of rolling terrain giving me only 250m ascent over that distance. I felt really good over 10-16km, pretty good at 20km, but went from "I'm pretty ok" to "this is hard" very quickly at about 22-24km.

*one of my dogs was flagging, so we diverted to put them all in the car whilst I did another 20 min.
I'm impressed that you had dogs that could run for 25km, particularly at 5min pace. That isn't slow.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2348 on: 30 August, 2020, 12:10:54 pm »
My 'usual' Sunday morning 10k. First time I've risked it since I damaged my knee back in July. Not fast, but good. The slightly cooler weather was nice.

« Reply #2349 on: 30 August, 2020, 12:28:35 pm »
No running for 8 days due to apathy which turned out to be the precursor to a big old headcold. Getting over it now though.

Will be the first month for a long time where I didn't do a 10k (holidays and apathy took away the chance/will earlier in the month).

I'm sure I'll be back into it at some point soon, not worrying about it.