Author Topic: 91 year old time-triallist killed  (Read 1685 times)

91 year old time-triallist killed
« on: 21 July, 2017, 12:24:17 pm »
This happened Tuesday afternoon (around 2:30) near where I live.  It's a fairly frequently used 10 mile TT course (it's the F11/10 on the A41 dual carriageway between Tring and Aylesbury), and the point at which the collision occurred is probably the less dangerous of the two U turns (the other is around a "spectacle" roundabout arrangement with nil visibility as you enter.)  The collision occurred at a large single roundabout,  with the usual issues of crossing the traffic stream to manage the 180 turn. The rider was trying to set an age related record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-40680451

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: 91 year old time-triallist killed
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2017, 12:56:44 pm »
Just read that - very sad. RIP Ray Dare.

(They don't do names like that any more.)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2017, 02:26:25 pm »
That's incredibly sad.

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »
A real life to celebrate, but such a sad ending.

I take that roundabout regularly but avoid the dual carriageway parts of the A41.  I'll be thinking of this event when I pass there for many years ahead.

« Reply #4 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:14:04 pm »
Tthe point at which the collision occurred is probably the less dangerous of the two U turns (the other is around a "spectacle" roundabout arrangement with nil visibility as you enter.)  The collision occurred at a large single roundabout,  with the usual issues of crossing the traffic stream to manage the 180 turn. T
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-40680451

This is not what the post on the Ray's Kingston Phoenix club site says:
"I'm sure he was well on his way to the record, he'd done the two turns and the long descent,which he would have loved. He was hit on a straight flat open piece of road, he had 2 miles to go."

Very sad.  I used to work with him 30-odd years ago.  I knew he was a cyclist but hadn't realised what a top rate time trialist he was.

Bryn