Author Topic: Does this count as a farcility?  (Read 1630 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Does this count as a farcility?
« on: 14 August, 2008, 01:56:30 pm »
Nice of them to point out the cycle lane...

Top of Bell's Brae in Edinburgh, a hideously steep escarpment but at the top you're helpfully informed of a cycle lane heading left, but... Just a pity it ends immediately...

.... turn left at the top of Bell's Brae, following the handy 'Cycle Lane' sign and you're onto Dean Bridge. With no cycle lane - you'll note it just ending there and a bus demonstrating why sticking to the cycle lane down onto Dean Bridge is a daft move.

Re: Does this count as a farcility?
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2008, 02:58:25 pm »
<devil's advocate>

Is the sign maybe there to warn cars not to stick their noses out into the road that there is a cycle lane across the junction?

</devil's advocate>

It is a bit shit though.

iakobski

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2008, 03:10:14 pm »
<devil's advocate>

Is the sign maybe there to warn cars not to stick their noses out into the road that there is a cycle lane across the junction?

</devil's advocate>

It is a bit shit though.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha no stoppit! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha no really  ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Surely the universal best use for any cycle lane is as a second give way marking, allowing a better view of the road you're turning into?

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2008, 03:19:31 pm »
<devil's advocate>

</devil's advocate>

It is a bit shit though.

I could run with that if it wasn't for the left arrow on the sign, which seems to then be saying 'Cycle Lane to the left' and there simply isn't...

Craig

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2008, 03:49:57 pm »
Or is the sign to highlight that its no right turn, and that even though there's a cycle lane bikes have to turn left?

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2008, 04:07:36 pm »
Is it even a legal road sign?   I don't recognise it at the moment.  It looks just like an informational type thing the local council have put up.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2008, 04:09:38 pm »
Or is the sign to highlight that its no right turn, and that even though there's a cycle lane bikes have to turn left?

But there's a normal 'No Right' sign just after it that applies to all traffic unless a specific exemption (which there isn't) and would anyone be daft enough to think 'Ah, a cycle lane, okay so it's on the wrong side of the road, but I'll turn right onto it anyway'?

Actually.

Don't answer that last question.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2008, 04:26:58 pm »
Is it even a legal road sign?   I don't recognise it at the moment.  It looks just like an informational type thing the local council have put up.

'Tis Scotland.  They have an odd attitude to legislation. 'Nuff said...  ;) ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2008, 05:41:19 pm »

But there's a normal 'No Right' sign just after it that applies to all traffic unless a specific exemption (which there isn't) and would anyone be daft enough to think 'Ah, a cycle lane, okay so it's on the wrong side of the road, but I'll turn right onto it anyway'?
You know I think that IS the most likely explanation. Remember cyclists haven't been taught to drive, so SOME will not understand regular traffic signs. So it SORT OF makes sense to remind them to turn left!

Actually.

Don't answer that last question.
Sorry ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Maladict

« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2008, 06:35:08 pm »
I think the sign is meant to tell you in which direction the cycle lane heads.

The fact it ends immediately isn't really relevant.