Author Topic: Cyclists that pass too close/cut you up.  (Read 12844 times)

Re: Cyclists that pass too close/cut you up.
« Reply #25 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:51:10 am »
It was the driver's fault really.

A guy on a Brommie tried it this morning. I think the pink jersey is like a red (pink?) rag to a bull. There are some very fast Brommie riders but he was not one of them. He started weaving all over his lane at one point in an attempt to stop me overtaking him (he kept sitting in front of me at lights). Thankfully he went the other way when we got to Hyde Park, I could not be bothered with his antics on a cycle path.

Carole...is quite nippy

Quite an understatement methinks, she is a seriously speedy lady!

Well I chased him down and felt like saying something, but in the end just serenely overtook him (pretty easily as it was) and let that be punishment enough, seeing as I had a pannier full of shopping on the back and he had nothing except a bigger arse than me.

To inflict maximum punishment, instead of overtaking draw alongside with a cheery "Hello". Then strike up a friendly conversation. All the time increase the speed imperceptibly. When he's blowing too hard to talk fluently say, "Well, cheerio then," and ride away.

Did do something similar last winter. A guy said something to me at the lights about it being so cold, and I did the ultimate English faux pas of disagreeing with someone about the weather - 'I'm quite warm actually' (well I was, in my merino jersey!).

He said 'You mean you're all sweaty!' and I said 'Excuse me, horses sweat, men perspire, women glow!' I don't think he had heard the expression because he just looked at me like I was a loon...

So I overtook him, suggesting that if he went a bit faster, he might be warmer...

Snugsy

« Reply #26 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:09:51 am »
just serenely overtook him (pretty easily as it was) and let that be punishment enough, seeing as I had a pannier full of shopping on the back and he had nothing except a bigger arse than me.

Good for you. I like the bit about the arse  ;D

Seriously, since I've been getting the bus to Clapham Junction quite often lately (don't ask), I've been observing some of the appalling cycling on Wandsworth Road in the rush hour - RLJing, cutting-up, undertaking, drafting cyclists without offering to take a trun, drafting vehicles, riding fixed with ridiculously high gears etc etc

« Reply #27 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:11:56 am »
When I used to commute on my Brompton, I found that it was also a bit of a red rag to a bull.  If I was behind someone on a road bike, and eventually got fed up with the speed, so decided to overtake, I'd often find that ten seconds later the road bike would hammer past me.  Of course, on most occasions, twenty seconds after that he'd be exhausted and slow dramatically, at which point I'd go past again, and see the last of him (Note, the use of "he" and "him" was deliberate, I don't think I've ever had a woman do this sort of thing, it's always a bloke).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #28 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:14:29 am »
They need their chromosones re-chromed.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #29 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:16:26 am »
... drafting vehicles, ...

Guilty as charged, m'lud.   :-\
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #30 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:16:58 am »
Is weird this. Carole has this problem on the cycle to work. It is mainly on a cycle path but she is quite nippy so passes quite a few other commuters. It seems to be the blokes who are riled by this, they then do their level best to get passed her again even when the path is way too narrow for such manouvres.

Yes that is quite common acording to the other half.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #31 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:18:48 am »
There are some real twats out there.  I had a bloke going down Moorgate yesterday who wanted to beat me at any cost - up to and including his life.    Now, I'm not as fit as I was last year, but I'm still in reasonable order having racked up a load of 23 mph laps of Regent's park last week.   I was riding a decent bike - Litespeed Blade, deep section wheels, Looks etc.

So matey boy on his hybrid arrives next to me and gives me the eyeball.   I'm pretty much ignoring him at this stage.   The lights change, and we set off.   Matey boy is pedalling fit to bust the bike, and carves across me, nearly taking out the front wheel (he would have if I hadn't hit the brakes).   Matey boy then reaches his top speed of 14 mph, and is duly overtaken.

At the next set of lights, he does it again, and now I'm annoyed.   I go level with him and bawl "do try to keep up, you're far too slow", then belt it down to the next set of lights.   He arrives some time later, but now he is up for a proper race.  Ha ha.   

Message to matey boy - if you're going for a bit of a race, don't see the inside of a 43 bus that is stopping at a stop as an opportunity to get ahead.  Saw it coming a mile off, much shouting, didn't hang around to see the outcome. 

We constantly bang on about drivers, but we should really be complaining about twats, whatever they are driving/riding.

Hes an idiot, laugh at him don't get angry.

But waving a non out of breath cheery hello does seem to really upset them.

« Reply #32 on: 04 September, 2008, 10:58:32 am »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #33 on: 04 September, 2008, 11:13:50 am »
I must confess to overtaking another cyclist slightly too close here, at 4:30:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fh-DP-ZAIMw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Fh-DP-ZAIMw&rel=1</a>

Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Snugsy

« Reply #34 on: 04 September, 2008, 11:51:43 am »
... drafting vehicles, ...

Guilty as charged, m'lud.   :-\
Snap.

Are your brakes and roadholding as good as those on a no 87 bus?

« Reply #35 on: 04 September, 2008, 11:55:35 am »
No. Nowhere near. But I choose my road and the vehicle carefully.
Rust never sleeps

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #36 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:06:51 pm »
I must confess to overtaking another cyclist slightly too close here, at 4:30:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fh-DP-ZAIMw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Fh-DP-ZAIMw&rel=1</a>

Not watched the video, but why pass someone so close?  There are many comments of others passing too close when another cyclist does it (one who really should know better) why is there not the same outcry?

« Reply #37 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:16:15 pm »
Not watched the video, but why pass someone so close?  There are many comments of others passing too close when another cyclist does it (one who really should know better) why is there not the same outcry?

If you haven't watched the video, there's little point in your commenting, because it's unlikely to be relevant.  I posted this to show that it's easy to make a mistake, and that I should know better, and since the overtake was pointed out to me, I learnt from my mistake and give far more room now.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #38 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »
It's irritating when they pass too close, but really annoying if they touch you wilst doing it.  Andy and I rode to Aberdeen last week to visit my father and riding through Edinburgh was a bloody nightmare.  Several car and bus drivers drove like lobotomised hyenas, but what really got me was the guy who jumped a red light we had stopped at.  He passed sufficiently close to brush my left arm, and continued to jump 5-6 sets of lights.  We would catch him on every straight section, and he would jump the next light - regardless of the oncoming traffic/pedestrians.  We eventually caught and passed him as he pushed his bike up a hill*.  The lesson from this is that some people are fuckwits, regardless of whether they happen to be occupying a car/van/bus/bicycle.  IOne of the unfortunate consequences of more people cycling is that more of the population of morons will also take up cycling.

*I guess Edinburgh isn't flat, so I'll call it a hill, but it wasn't really very steep at all.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #39 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:58:08 pm »

If you haven't watched the video, there's little point in your commenting, because it's unlikely to be relevant.  I posted this to show that it's easy to make a mistake, and that I should know better, and since the overtake was pointed out to me, I learnt from my mistake and give far more room now.

I stated that I've not watched the video, and as you have said you made a mistake and you have learn from it.

But other cylists passing too closly I think is worse as they know what its like and they still do it.

Che

« Reply #40 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:20:08 pm »
But other cylists passing too closly I think is worse as they know what its like and they still do it.
[volume=11]
Lynx, the whole thread is about about cyclists who should know better cutting one another up. BM has very honestly held up his hand to making a mistake, and even given evidence of doing so, to prove that even experienced cyclists can be guilty of it. When somebody puts confesses to something like that, I believe that it is apallingly bad manners to attack them for it in this fashion. What the hell are you doing on this board since you seem only to come here to insult people.
[/volume]

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #41 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:36:05 pm »
[volume=11]
Lynx, the whole thread is about about cyclists who should know better cutting one another up. BM has very honestly held up his hand to making a mistake, and even given evidence of doing so, to prove that even experienced cyclists can be guilty of it. When somebody puts confesses to something like that, I believe that it is apallingly bad manners to attack them for it in this fashion. What the hell are you doing on this board since you seem only to come here to insult people.
[/volume]

{Volume 11.1}As I said to BM I have not watched the video.  Having not watched the video I don't know what has happened hence asking why he passed so closely {/volume11.1}

{Volume 2}  I reitterate my point a cyclist passing another cyclist too closely is worse than when other road users do it.  As they will know what its like and they still do it to others to my mind thats worse.  It really show a lack of respect.  Jasmine even mentioned it earlier.  People make mistakes and if you notice you say sorry.  If i do something that I note as unthinking I say sorry for it as I'm sorry I've inconvienced someone else.  As jasmine has said there are a growning number of morons on bikes and I do not understand why there isn't more of an outcry when this happens {/Volume 2}

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #42 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:42:26 pm »
Trouble is, it's difficult to work out who's an experienced (and safe) rider making a mistake, and who's a dickhead forcing their way past. 

Apart from the guy who actually pushed me off my bike in order to force his way between me and a white van so that he could ride through a red light, I tend to optimistically assume most people just made a mistake.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #43 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:51:03 pm »
Also it must be remembered that what we (as experienced and fairly riteous cyclists) deem as too close and dangerous, goes by completely unnoticed by most cyclists.

Just look at how unflinchingly so many people scoot down the side of a bus or truck at TLs, even if it has its left indicator on. Observe also the gutter hugging cyclists - who clearly do not know about personal space for safety, and don't think anything of being brush-passed. Similarly the droves of cyclists who don't look beyond the TLs they are stopped at, and scurry to the head of the queue without thinking about all the cars that will overtake them again (if the road is clear).

I found this when I met Emily - she had no idea what was too close (unless it was really life threatening), but now has a very different idea of appropriate roadspace.

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #44 on: 04 September, 2008, 01:59:32 pm »
nstn,

I can't understand why any guy would want to pass you and not spend time cycling behind you.  ;)

* Excepting those not so inclined, of course.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #45 on: 04 September, 2008, 02:13:04 pm »
nstn,

I can't understand why any guy would want to pass you and not spend time cycling behind you.  ;)

Or at least hang onto her panniers for a tow ;)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #46 on: 04 September, 2008, 02:17:48 pm »
Everyone makes mistakes, but because it's a bugbear of mine I like to err on the side of caution and give people oodles of room. If there is not oodles of room I wait until there is. I have a lot of respect for Bentmikey's willingness to post videos of his cycling and lay himself wide open to criticism. It goes to show it's not a regular thing he does, unlike some of these twats who are so desperate to get ahead.

What Jacomus says is very true. The gaps some people want to squeeze through, making themselves into the meat in a bus/railings sandwich, makes me think they are much less protective of their personal space. Years ago at uni I attended a 'personal safety/self-defence' course, and the instructor went on about personal space - I think this has extended into my cycling, which is why I get so twitchy when strangers come too close!

Why Andrij, aren't we being charming today? Do you feel all right?  ;D

Yes Adamski, I'd better make sure that cord is tucked away before next Friday, eh?  ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #47 on: 04 September, 2008, 02:19:35 pm »

:P
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #48 on: 04 September, 2008, 02:23:19 pm »

:P

Hey, I'm not complaining...  :-* ;D

Spikey

« Reply #49 on: 04 September, 2008, 02:44:09 pm »
... a cyclist passing another cyclist too closely is worse than when other road users do it ...
If someone is going to pass too close, then I'd much prefer it to be another cyclist than a  HGV, bus or car. Yes its rude, inconsiderate and annoying to be cut up by another cyclist, but its usually much less dangerous than being similarly cut up by a bus/lorry/car. Furthermore, cyclists might possibly be forgiven owing to lack of training, but any licensed driver especially proffessional drivers (of buses/HGVS) really should know better.

Another point worth noting is that cyclists are usually much more aware of their immediate surroundings and just how close they are than drivers. If I overtake a cyclist when driving, I leave much more room to account for, a) my vehicles larger size, b) more difficult to judge passenger side distances, c) blind spots etc. On my bike I can safely overtake closer, but not too close!!