Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951019 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1750 on: 02 October, 2011, 09:19:54 pm »
A rather fun bit of escapism, The Green Hornet.  A surprisingly lot of it was really filmed with "real" special effects, rather than the vast amounts of CGI used in many modern super hero type films.  I quite liked the slightly incompetent Green Hornet, and the continual bickering between him and Kato.  Cameron Diaz seemed a bit pointless, and just decorative, as Lenore, rather than doing, and being, a bit more

Pandorum, which wasn't bad, although I felt that it missed something.  The monster weren't really explained all that well, and seemed a little bit too implausible to me.  The conclusion was reasonably clever and entertaining though.  Certainly it tried to have elements of Alien in it, but that's been done over so many times, that it didn't really work as well as it would have done once.  It wasn't far from being a really good film, but a few too many cliched bits, where you tended to know what was coming, which was rather a shame since there were some really excellent other bits in it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1751 on: 03 October, 2011, 11:28:37 am »
The History Boys.

Even the cynical 13-year-old liked it, but I think mostly for the swearing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1752 on: 03 October, 2011, 12:25:04 pm »
The Jumper last night was OK until it just finished without tying up any loose ends of the story arc.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1753 on: 04 October, 2011, 11:31:08 am »
Natural Born Killers

WTF ???

Oliver Stone is a seriously overrated director.  NBK is a hypocritical film that wants to have its cake and eat it, while also being much inferior to Badlands.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Chris S

« Reply #1754 on: 04 October, 2011, 08:55:47 pm »
Pay it Forward.

Excellent. Like it was when I first saw it.

fuzzy

« Reply #1755 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:26:38 am »
I recorded Frost/ Nixon on the idiot box the other day and watched it last night.

I thought it was avery good film.

Don't know how accurate the background story was but it made for a bit of tension.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1756 on: 05 October, 2011, 09:48:56 am »
Red State, Kevin Smith’s new offering, I really liked it.  It’s a real departure from his View Askewniverse pictures, full of the sort of building menace that Tarantino does so well and some very dark humour.

It’s a bit like Kill List in that it’s better watched having no idea what it’s about as the twists and turns the film takes are in no way predictable.

In fact Red State and Kill List would make a cracking double-bill.

« Reply #1757 on: 05 October, 2011, 07:23:36 pm »
Mrs Pcolbeck bought Thor on DVD for a family viewing night. I am looking forward to it. Cant beat some escapism occasionally.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1758 on: 06 October, 2011, 10:58:16 am »
I missed Thor at the movies - my kids went to see it without me. dammit.

Saw TTSP last night with my son. Very late night showing, so knackered today.

Good film. When I read the book, I felt so sorry for the Rickie Tarr character; he's even more screwed over in this film. Wonderfully portrayed by Tom Hardy - he does a good hard man, does Tom.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1759 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:01:56 am »
Assassins.  Complete bobbins from beginning to end.  Even the killin's, explosions and Julianne Moore could not prevent this from being a crock of shit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1760 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:10:40 am »
Saw Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy last night. No idea what that was about! ::-)

It was only at the end I realised that there had been two old-men-in-glasses - all the way through I had thought that Gary Oldman and John Hurt were the same character! :-[
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #1761 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:16:58 am »
Kathy, erm, don't take this the wrong way, but have you had your own eyes tested?

John Hurt looks like an unmade bed with hair from a toilet brush stuck on top. He rants like a nutter on crack.

Gary Oldham has impeccable, brillcream-flattened hair and his face never changes expression.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1762 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:25:17 am »
Kathy, erm, don't take this the wrong way, but have you had your own eyes tested?

John Hurt looks like an unmade bed with hair from a toilet brush stuck on top. He rants like a nutter on crack.

Gary Oldham has impeccable, brillcream-flattened hair and his face never changes expression.

Meh. Old men. Glasses. Brown suits. They all look the same to me. Even more so after half a bottle of wine.

(I also dozed off mid-way through the film, and woke up to see Lady Edith Crawley from Downton Abbey, and became ver' confused).
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1763 on: 06 October, 2011, 11:55:31 am »

Quite early on we see characters swimming in a lake - your spotters guide isn't much help there. One of the characters changes specs halfway through. We have a flashback structure, and we're not told how much time is between the flashes, so appearances could change a lot. So some of us might struggle.

i worked it all out a bit earlier than Kathy, but I did confuse the 2 characters briefly earlier on. It's a confusing enough plot without making the characters visually similar! [Recent American TV shows are a lot worse for this - the tall dark handsome young actors all look the same to me.]

I've been reading the book, and some of the changes they made (e.g. foreign locations) didn't really help the confused viewer either.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1764 on: 06 October, 2011, 12:02:34 pm »
The Enemy Below

Obvioulsy made some time after WWII, as it had a very anti-war thread running through it. Some parts were very clumsily handled; e.g. the ardent Nazi, but it was a better than average war film with neither side winning in the end.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1765 on: 09 October, 2011, 08:55:40 pm »
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

I'm sorry, but what was the actual plot of this movie? seemed to me to be a recruitment advert for the US of A's military!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1766 on: 09 October, 2011, 09:46:15 pm »
West Side Story.  It often is.  TGL suggested we watch it over dinner, and we saw up to the War Council.  It is a great movie.  I like the music, the wit, the realism contrasted with the expressionist lighting.  Just fab.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1767 on: 09 October, 2011, 10:39:26 pm »
The newest Star Trek one on channel 4 last night. Fun if a little lot convoluted and full of in jokes.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1768 on: 10 October, 2011, 07:27:18 am »
American Gangster

Denzil Washington & Russell Crowe star in this 'true story' about Frank Lucas importing drugs into NY.
Good film  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1769 on: 10 October, 2011, 03:06:17 pm »
The newest Star Trek one on channel 4 last night. Fun if a little lot convoluted and full of in jokes.

It would have been better with more* Simon Pegg. There was too little fun generally. I reckon the Indiana Jones movies have about the right tone to aim for in action-adventure movies.

[*and less time travel. must stop complaining about this ... ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LindaG

« Reply #1770 on: 10 October, 2011, 03:07:19 pm »
Aliens  :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1771 on: 10 October, 2011, 03:29:11 pm »
I recorded Frost/ Nixon on the idiot box the other day and watched it last night.

I thought it was avery good film.

Don't know how accurate the background story was but it made for a bit of tension.

Watched the 'real' Frost/Nixon interview on TV about a week back. It was just like the film. Towards the end, when Nixon was not quite saying, 'yes I did it', there was a cut away to frost sitting there looking like a bunny in the headlights with his mouth open. Classic. For all his faults, Nixon was a brilliant debater.

Watched TTSS at the flicks last night with Mrs & Master Manotea. Very good, though very much an 'updating' of the Alec Guinness series.

I said to Mrs Manotea, 'Kathy Burke sure has let herself go, and that's not a sentence I ever thought I would say'.  She thought that was funny for some reason.

Edit: can somebody remind me; did Control appear as a character on screen in the Alec Guinness series. IIRC he was somebody who was just referred to, a ghost from the past.

« Reply #1772 on: 10 October, 2011, 04:06:51 pm »
Ah one of my favourite films. So many classic lines:
"Vasques, you ever been mistaken for a man." "No. Have you."
the 'nuke it' line. The 'get away from her' line.

Last night I watched Princess Monanoki. Mostly because I saw that the script was done by Neil Gaiman.

Pretty good - the usual manga stuff, but some great characters. The ex-prostitute iron workers are terrific.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1773 on: 10 October, 2011, 04:14:08 pm »
Ah one of my favourite films. So many classic lines:
"Vasques, you ever been mistaken for a man." "No. Have you."
the 'nuke it' line. The 'get away from her' line.
Game over, man.

I gotta watch them again, might do that when Peli is otherwise occupied with the dancing on the beep.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1774 on: 10 October, 2011, 04:18:18 pm »
Edit: can somebody remind me; did Control appear as a character on screen in the Alec Guinness series. IIRC he was somebody who was just referred to, a ghost from the past.

Played by Alexander Knox who gives a great performance of a man struggling with betrayal and failing health. Here he is briefing Jim Prideaux in episode 1, and waiting for news from Czechoslovakia in episode 5.