Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951208 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4550 on: 30 November, 2014, 09:08:05 pm »
Pantani - The Accidental Death of a Cyclist

To give some background I am a reasonably recent convert to cycling as anything other than messing about in the local wood on a Halfords MTBSO as a kid, and events such as the tours up until the late 2000s only just made it into my consciousness, so this film covers a man I knew a little about, and a period that I will admit I wasn't very keen on looking into too much. I knew he was a brilliant climber (and mad descender), was bald, wore an earring and bandana, and I had images of him riding in bright pink.

Now I see a great climber* and character, who cycled in a dark era for cycling, came back from a quite horrific crash to the top of the sport, and the end saw it crumble round him. I know he most likely took drugs such as EPO in his career, but I am left wondering just what he would have achieved in a drug free era.

I'd say well put together, and some great climbing scenes. The end is rather sad. Overall an interesting film, which I'm glad I've watched. Enjoyable in parts and uncomfortable in others. I'd recommend it.

*I can empathise more with the 'sprinters' self-help group' in the autobus, but am building an appreciation for good climbers

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4551 on: 30 November, 2014, 09:34:48 pm »
Can I confess that I've just taken mini-Redlight to see Paddington?

Having grown up on the books, I was apprehensive, mainly because the stories were so gentle that it was hard to imagine them appearing to a generation brought up on Pixar-type adventures. And I was right, as the film is dominated by a ludicrous kidnap plot, involving Nicole Kidman and Peter Capaldi. BUT, I imagine for anyone who didn't read the books it would be a pleasant enough 90 minutes. There are some fine bits of slapstick and the bear itself is very good.

Sadly, we have the third part of The Hobbit to face in a couple of weeks. Now there is a book that has been completely ruined by its film version.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4552 on: 01 December, 2014, 12:47:57 am »
I've made a point of not watching any of The Hobbit so far, and hope to continue that. For ever.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #4553 on: 01 December, 2014, 04:47:57 am »
I've loved the The Hobbit. Yeah, it's goes way beyond the book, but it captures the world very well and Smaug is amazingly well done. Can't wait for the last 1!.

This weekend, I finally finished watching Godzilla. I can't remember last time I saw a movie where I cared so little for the protagonists...and while I understand why they made the fights so 'slow' (in order to make the scale appear more realistic), it just made the fight sequences boring. Glad I escaped that project.

I also watched Grand Hotel Budapest, which was very good and I will have to watch it again. I really wish more film makers had the courage to make more stylistic movies.

ian

« Reply #4554 on: 01 December, 2014, 10:01:29 am »
Guardians of the Galaxy again. Still fabulous. Also Captain America: Winter Soldier which I hadn't seen and was good. I fear Captain America may have liberal pinko tendencies.

After dragging myself through the LoTR saga (I'll give the final battle some kudos, but lordy was it a journey to get there, and the end, yes the end, you know the end, that bit at the end, where things are supposed to finish, the coda, the bit before the title, yes we're nearly there, just a few more reprises... Jesus, just run the fucking credits already). I'm not going near The Hobbit.

« Reply #4555 on: 01 December, 2014, 10:08:24 am »
Paddington.

Extremely far-fetched, historically inaccurate and scientifically implausible in all directions.  Significant amount of violence.

What can possibly have inspired this film?
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4556 on: 01 December, 2014, 12:45:32 pm »
I'm in two minds about what Dr Davis calls Hobbity Nonse but based on what I've read here and my general disquiet about turning a not-very-thick children's book into three fat films I'm veering towards avoidance.  Though a lot of the DVD extras for LOTR were fascinating viewing in their own right.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4557 on: 01 December, 2014, 11:57:40 pm »
Just back from watching the re-release of 2001 at FACT in Liverpool.     I've watched it a couple of times before at the cinema but the new digital print was the best I've seen. Everything was really clear (apart from the plot of course..... :P)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4558 on: 02 December, 2014, 05:11:20 am »
I wonder if that was the one I saw last year with Crinklylion.
Milk please, no sugar.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #4559 on: 02 December, 2014, 09:44:00 am »
I'm in two minds about what Dr Davis calls Hobbity Nonse but based on what I've read here and my general disquiet about turning a not-very-thick children's book into three fat films I'm veering towards avoidance.  Though a lot of the DVD extras for LOTR were fascinating viewing in their own right.

I've just read that the final part reaches its climax with a 45 minute battle sequence. 45 minutes!   And I'll bet the bloody elves still never run out of arrows.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4560 on: 02 December, 2014, 12:36:36 pm »
The LEGO Movie.

Sharks!
Lasers!
Laser Sharks!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4561 on: 02 December, 2014, 01:47:00 pm »
The LEGO Movie was Meh for me.

Apart from the wonderful earworm.
It is simpler than it looks.

Andrew

« Reply #4562 on: 02 December, 2014, 03:31:19 pm »
Ah yes, the earworm of the decade. It's even catchily irritating in French. But didn't you like that you were meant to hate it to begin with? It was Big Brother, corporate evil, everything you're supposed to despise. Then damn me if they don't up end the cart and it becomes the song of the brave new world!

fuzzy

« Reply #4563 on: 02 December, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »
Ah yes, the earworm of the decade. It's even catchily irritating in French. But didn't you like that you were meant to hate it to begin with? It was Big Brother, corporate evil, everything you're supposed to despise. Then damn me if they don't up end the cart and it becomes the song of the brave new world!

with just a handful of men,
we'll start all over again!

Damn-another ear worm :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4564 on: 02 December, 2014, 10:00:19 pm »
Just back from watching the re-release of 2001 at FACT in Liverpool.     I've watched it a couple of times before at the cinema but the new digital print was the best I've seen. Everything was really clear (apart from the plot of course..... :P)

I've got a ticket to see it at the MAC in a couple of weeks time.  I've never seen it on the big screen.  Neither has barakta, but in spite of subtitles being largely academic for 2001 she prefers a small screen for visual reasons, and I quote "doesn't have the brain for two hours of Kubrick".

(Never had trouble with the plot, having read the novels years before I encountered the film.)

« Reply #4565 on: 02 December, 2014, 10:16:28 pm »

I've got a ticket to see it at the MAC in a couple of weeks time.  I've never seen it on the big screen.  Neither has barakta, but in spite of subtitles being largely academic for 2001 she prefers a small screen for visual reasons, and I quote "doesn't have the brain for two hours of Kubrick".

(Never had trouble with the plot, having read the novels years before I encountered the film.)

Gary Lockwood & Keir Dullea on Radio 3 now.    It's 2hrs, 40 mins,  they had an interval.

Likewise,  read The Sentinel, the novelisation of 2001 and Lost Worlds of 2001 before I saw the film.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #4566 on: 03 December, 2014, 07:14:20 am »
Paddington.

Extremely far-fetched, historically inaccurate and scientifically implausible in all directions.  Significant amount of violence.

What can possibly have inspired this film?
;D

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4567 on: 03 December, 2014, 09:29:34 am »

Simple plot. (The book explains the plot better than the film admittedly.)

Advanced alien civilisation keeps giving other, viable, species around the universe a little helping hand every so often, so they can eventually join them in their galactic hippie space commune man.

"Hey Ape-man, why don't you start using these tools.  You could start by stoving in the head of that rival ape-man with that leg bone"

"Hey human, you've done well.  You've got to the moon and discovered me up here.  Now go find me even further away when you have the technology"

"Well done, you found me right out at Jupiter..it's time for your next trip...and I do mean trip"

Dave becomes "Star Child" and the movie ends.

Of course I've omitted the whole docking sequence, to the Blue Danube backing music, one of the most beautiful sequences in any movie ever.

The novel ends around the line..

For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next. But he would think of something.

2010 is about what Dave and his new galactic hippie mates decide to do with Jupiter.

It's 2014 now..so it was all bollocks.

It's worth remembering though, as you watch the beautiful space sequences, that we hadn't yet landed on the Moon when the film was made.
It really is an extraordinary vision of a film.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #4568 on: 03 December, 2014, 10:45:58 am »

Of course I've omitted the whole docking sequence, to the Blue Danube backing music, one of the most beautiful sequences in any movie ever.

It's worth remembering though, as you watch the beautiful space sequences, that we hadn't yet landed on the Moon when the film was made.

I know ,  I hope no one is ever tempted to "re-imagine" it.....    I had the Blue Danube running through my head this morning, while I was gracefully swerving around pedestrians on Church Street (shared use) on the way to work. 

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4569 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:05:25 am »

I know ,  I hope no one is ever tempted to "re-imagine" it.....    I had the Blue Danube running through my head this morning, while I was gracefully swerving around pedestrians on Church Street (shared use) on the way to work.

Don't bank on it.  Somewhere a Hollywood executive is thinking "You know, this would be a great film if we added some of Adam Sandler's knockabout humour to it so the kids could enjoy it"

My mum took me to see it, at the Marple Regent, when I was 8.  I still remember the "evil monkeys" and she still remembers thinking "This isn't what I thought it would be like".

Despite the "evil monkeys" it is in my top 3 films, 44 years later.

"This conversation can serve no purpose any more. Goodbye."
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4570 on: 03 December, 2014, 11:33:22 am »
During Monday's flight, instead of doing something sensible like sleeping, I watched some films...

Guardians of the Galaxy
Good fun, I really enjoyed it.  But...
(click to show/hide)

Being John Malkovich
What a brilliant film!  How have I gone all these years without seeing it?

Dangerous Liaisons
A classic.  Seen it a few times, will watch it a few more.

X-Men: First Class
OK, nothing special.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #4571 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:16:39 pm »

Simple plot. (The book explains the plot better than the film admittedly.)

Snip....

Arthur C Clarke had access to a SEKRIT TARDIS style machine and regularly popped back to the future. Being a shrewd old codger, he changed enough minor detail in order that we didn't sus him out. Trufax*

Akshirley a load of old bollox.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4572 on: 03 December, 2014, 02:43:38 pm »
Arthur C Clarke had access to a SEKRIT TARDIS style machine and regularly popped back to the future. Being a shrewd old codger, he changed enough minor detail in order that we didn't sus him out. Trufax*

Akshirley a load of old bollox.

Yeah, what he actually did was invent most of the stuff himself and distribute the plans amongst various molishers of tech, with various minor details left for them to work out, so it wouldn't seem too suspicious.  :)

Andrew

« Reply #4573 on: 03 December, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »

Being John Malkovich
What a brilliant film!  How have I gone all these years without seeing it?

Yep, it is a good one. You could do worse than see 'Adaptation' (another Charlie Kaufman screenplay & Spike Jones director film), one of my fave ever movies. Then 'Eterrnal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind', another of Charlie's. Spike Jones' 'Her' is also worth watching. All share that 'Being JM' originality/creativity/wackiness.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4574 on: 03 December, 2014, 03:42:46 pm »
Gary Lockwood & Keir Dullea on Radio 3 now.    It's 2hrs, 40 mins,  they had an interval.

I'm not a big fan of 2001,  but I found that R3 prog really interesting!

(perhaps because it was actually 45mins long,  not 2h40 ;)     )

Random factoid that MattC did not know:
right up until post-production, it was intended to have a voice-over explaining all the technology on screen.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles