Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951139 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6025 on: 11 February, 2016, 02:34:54 pm »
Chappie

Strange and flawed but I kind of liked it. I was trying to describe it to my colleague just now and landed on "a cross between Short Circuit and Robocop but not nearly as good as either".
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6026 on: 11 February, 2016, 02:42:25 pm »
Short Circuit + Robocop + District 9.

And not as good as any of them.

citoyen

« Reply #6027 on: 11 February, 2016, 05:39:08 pm »
I still haven't seen District 9. Must rectify that some time.

hillbilly

« Reply #6028 on: 14 February, 2016, 12:54:22 pm »
Interstellar

Gutted that I didn't see this on Imax in the cinema, as it looked spectacular on 2D Blu-Ray in my lounge.  A bit of a hackneyed story (Earth is dying, mankind must establish a colony somewhere else, sends out brave Americans to find those colonies) but I'll forgive that for something that looked and sounded so fantastic, and with such good pacing.  And where the acting is (generally - Michael Caine is an exception) of such a high standard.  At 160 minutes, it takes some endurance, but it passed by quite quickly.

« Reply #6029 on: 14 February, 2016, 01:59:51 pm »
Superbob

Ended better than it started, but that's not saying much. Peckham postman gets hit by meteorite and gains superman powers but remains socially awkward introvert.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6030 on: 14 February, 2016, 02:33:53 pm »
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared

Very enjoyable. A film about chance and luck, and a guy who likes blowing things up. Good family viewing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6031 on: 15 February, 2016, 04:17:35 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broken_Circle_Breakdown

Cripes. really good, but a tough watch. The upbeat bits contain enough joy that you don't finish watching it utterly depressed! And the bluegrass is amazing; all performed by the cast, apparently  :o
(if you like Alison Kraus, you'll like these songs).

And that poster is utterly unrepresentative of the movie. It may be one reason I was expecting something very different  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #6032 on: 15 February, 2016, 07:34:58 pm »
Mad Max Fury Road

2 hours watching a truck being driven across sand.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

fuzzy

« Reply #6033 on: 15 February, 2016, 08:30:40 pm »
Avatar (again). Still stunning visuals and Cameron was really going to town on the 'We really shit on the Native Americans back in the day' guilt trip.

« Reply #6034 on: 15 February, 2016, 09:39:24 pm »
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies
I'm not sure the addition of undead hordes adds to Jane Austin's tale, and colouring in is generally a better displacement activity. Still. Erm. Actually I very nearly left, but it's cold and I wanted company for the walk home.
Also
(click to show/hide)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6035 on: 15 February, 2016, 10:13:20 pm »
Most of Perfume, as a download on my tablet, then forgot to /didn't get round to the last 25 mins and now it's expired
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

red marley

« Reply #6036 on: 15 February, 2016, 10:14:51 pm »
Yesterday: Billy Liar (1963).
Today: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013).

The two couldn't be more different despite a common theme. Tom Courtenay shows his virtuosity against a grim suburban early 60s Bradford. Ben Stiller flatters himself in a beautifully shot travelogue.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6037 on: 15 February, 2016, 10:23:19 pm »
Mr Nobody

Starts badly, ends badly, is compelling in the middle.  Non-linear while still making sense.  Worth watching.

« Reply #6038 on: 16 February, 2016, 07:50:34 am »
The Lobster

Excellent. I think. Not everyone's cup of tea, and perhaps should have been a bit shorter.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6039 on: 16 February, 2016, 08:30:27 am »
Avatar (again). Still stunning visuals and Cameron was really going to town on the 'We really shit on the Native Americans back in the day' guilt trip.

Horrible film.  Visually stunning and fun shoot-em-up, but plot, dialogue, tinpot mysticism and even vocabulary are at the seizure end of the wince range.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6040 on: 16 February, 2016, 08:56:34 am »
I've just recorded and part watch A Kind of Loving, starring Alan Bates and Thora Hurd. It's a 1962 Kitchen Sink drama.

Andrew

« Reply #6041 on: 16 February, 2016, 09:22:12 am »
It's a 1962 Kitchen Sink drama.

I loved those as a genre; some of my favourite films ever. I had loads on VHS (taped from early morning slots or seasons) but, alas, no more.

Look Back In Anger, Taste of Honey, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Room At The Top, Poor Cow... all classics in their own way. UK films generally from that era grabbed me; Victim, The Servant, Spare The Rod, Term of Trial, Sapphire.... I could go on and on and on and on....

Andrew

« Reply #6042 on: 17 February, 2016, 04:57:55 am »
Frank - I'd been meaning to watch this for some time, it having caught my attention a while ago.

It's a pearl of film. What starts off as a lunatic laugh ends asking profound questions about truth and integrity, fame and publicity. Yes, we've had those questions before - some might even call it cliche - but the manner in which this film asks them makes it stand out. Highly recommended viewing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6043 on: 17 February, 2016, 08:32:28 am »
Currently in the thick of Breaking Bad, 3 episodes per evening.  Started off thinking "this is crap but let it run a bit", now look forward to the next dose.

Frustrated last night because episode N - title Peekaboo - chugged to a halt halfway through.  There's a deep pit in the disc with radiating cracks, like an impact crater half a millimetre across.  Have to start at the next one and pick up the threads. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6044 on: 17 February, 2016, 09:28:13 am »
It's a 1962 Kitchen Sink drama.

I loved those as a genre; some of my favourite films ever. I had loads on VHS (taped from early morning slots or seasons) but, alas, no more.

Look Back In Anger, Taste of Honey, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Room At The Top, Poor Cow... all classics in their own way. UK films generally from that era grabbed me; Victim, The Servant, Spare The Rod, Term of Trial, Sapphire.... I could go on and on and on and on....
Andrew,
You have some absolute belters there. I wish I could watch them again.

citoyen

« Reply #6045 on: 17 February, 2016, 09:50:52 am »

Frank - I'd been meaning to watch this for some time, it having caught my attention a while ago.

It's a pearl of film...

I wasn't at all interested in seeing it until my wife made me watch it with her and I absolutely loved it. I'd imagined it was going to be a lot more frothy than it turned out to be.

citoyen

« Reply #6046 on: 21 February, 2016, 01:19:35 am »
Robocop (2014)

It was on C4 tonight, so I started watching it with the boy. We were both well and truly bored by about half an hour in, so I suggested he put Robocop (1987) on instead. There's no comparison. The remake/reboot/reimagining has some fantastic CGI but is stodgier than a pasta sandwich. The original, by contrast, looks cheap and tacky but is perfectly paced, and doesn't outstay its welcome. It's also not a 12A so no compromises on the spectacular violence. Plus it's very funny too.

I would ask why anyone thought that remake was a good idea, but I imagine some people have made a tidy profit from it. Very, very dull, though.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #6047 on: 21 February, 2016, 01:41:14 am »
I have watched recently:
The Martian. OK, not a great film, but enjoyable and engaging.

Dad's Army: a mixed bag. Toby Jones does well as Mainwaring/Lowe/Churchill, and Bill Nighy is just, well, Bill Nighy.The Yorkshire coast doesn't really work as the South Downs. Seven Sisters, but the village is pretty. Michael Gambon does a good Godfrey, but Frazer is far too young and Pike not young enough.

I think the film suffers in the way any such work would, by being held up in comparison to institutions such as Dunn and Pertwee.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #6048 on: 21 February, 2016, 09:26:33 am »
The second best marigold hotel

Very enjoyable, harmless fun.

The Wolfpack

Documentary about six teenage brothers who are homeschooled and never allowed out of their apartment in New York's East Side because it's not safe. Compelling material, but the film did not hold together, it was drawn out and repetitive. Would have been much better as a 30-40 minute documentary, or could have done with more direction and purpose.

hillbilly

« Reply #6049 on: 21 February, 2016, 03:08:20 pm »
A shot in the dark

The second pink panther film.  Whilst mildly amusing i think I prefer the 70s Clouseau, which was more puerile and tongue in cheek.  Put aside the slapstick, and Peter Sellers performance in the first two films was a little too subtle and didn't give all out belly laughs.