Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951263 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7000 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:04:04 pm »
Some Like It Hot
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
How To Marry A Millionaire ←
The Seven Year Itch

Three films into a four film box set of Marilyn Monroe films.

How To Marry A Millionaire is the only one I haven't seen before (although it's been a while since I've watched any of them).  Whilst it was very successful in its own time, after watching the start I wondered about that.

It was one of the first films ever made in Cinemascope, and even on my wide screen TV it's letterboxed.  For that reason, it seems to have 6 minutes of a band playing music at the start, before the credits even start, which is a little odd, but seems to give them an excuse for wide views of the entire band.

The film gets better as it progresses, inevitably going from a group of apparently somewhat venal gold-diggers, to marrying for love, before finding out that some of them actually have money too.  A bit predictable, but well made and fun.
Actually, it is rocket science.

ian

« Reply #7001 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:34:06 pm »
Its a good film, very good. But dont go expecting another kaleidoscopic epic like T1.

Its a film about middle-age. Some of the characters  have aged well, some not so well. Problem is, I'm just 2 years older than Renton so it felt like the film was about me, not least because the original film music was the soundtrack of my mid 20s, and the score on this film has downtempo remixes of some of the Underworld tunes that featured. Its quite haunting. :-[. Certainly had the intended impact on me. The characters are aware of their mortality, and unlike T1 it doesnt capture the 'mood of the moment', because of course it isnt their moment. They had that 20 years ago. The nightclub scene reinforces this neatly.

Its definitely worth seeing.

It's a film that fits my age too (though with less heroin and more nightnurse). I'll probably see it but I have some misgivings since T1 had probably one of the best movie endings ever and part of me kind of thinks it should stay like that and lager, lager, lager into the forever.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7002 on: 29 January, 2017, 05:43:57 pm »
Some Like It Hot
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
How To Marry A Millionaire ←
The Seven Year Itch

Yeah, but how was your commute? :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7003 on: 29 January, 2017, 07:57:06 pm »
Bit of a film fest here:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Wet-behind-the-ears foreign correspondent in Afghanistan morphs into a young Kate Adie. Enjoyable and interesting, despite the obligatory US slant on the world.

Night Train to Lisbon
After a chance meeting, a boring Bern University lecturer sets off on a quest to find out about the Portuguese revolution. Intensely moving stuff. Not sure why I'd not heard of the film before.

London Road
Documentary about the Ipswich serial killer. Somehow I missed the bit that said it is retold through the medium of song and dance. WTF? Switched it off after ten minutes.

Fast & Furious 7
Obviously not expecting much, but thought it might be a fun bit of escapist nonsense. Switched it off after ten minutes when I found out it was over two hours long - srsly?

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
I can see why this was groundbreaking stuff when it was released, but it has not stood the test of time. Vaguely enjoyable, but mostly consists of a few witty one-liners over a standard story with a non-standard set of characters. Good but unnecessarily long.

I Promise You Anarchy (Te prometo anarquía)
Low-budget Mexican film about two skateboarders who fall in love but get in over their heads when they try to make a few pesos selling (other people's) blood on the black market.
That's a pretty full evening.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7004 on: 30 January, 2017, 08:27:18 am »
Its a good film, very good. But dont go expecting another kaleidoscopic epic like T1.

Its a film about middle-age. Some of the characters  have aged well, some not so well. Problem is, I'm just 2 years older than Renton so it felt like the film was about me, not least because the original film music was the soundtrack of my mid 20s, and the score on this film has downtempo remixes of some of the Underworld tunes that featured. Its quite haunting. :-[. Certainly had the intended impact on me. The characters are aware of their mortality, and unlike T1 it doesnt capture the 'mood of the moment', because of course it isnt their moment. They had that 20 years ago. The nightclub scene reinforces this neatly.

It's a film that fits my age too (though with less heroin and more nightnurse). I'll probably see it but I have some misgivings since T1 had probably one of the best movie endings ever and part of me kind of thinks it should stay like that and lager, lager, lager into the forever.

Had to go burrowing up-thread to find out that the T in T1 didn't mean Terminator.

Anyway we'll probably get it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7005 on: 31 January, 2017, 08:38:37 am »
Vidocq. Thought it would be about the life of the real Vidocq, but it was more like Maigret vs Dracula with kung-fu and fairyland physics thrown in.

If you get the chance, avoid it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7006 on: 01 February, 2017, 12:03:00 pm »
If you get the chance, avoid it.

;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7007 on: 01 February, 2017, 12:14:15 pm »
Captain America: Civil War

What was I thinking? I was in the mood for something not too challenging to the intellect and thought this might be a bit of suitably light entertainment... What an utter pile of steaming shite. A load of tedious navel-gazing interspersed with the occasional overcooked CGI fight scene. Soon lost track of who was on which side, and then gave up trying to follow it because I just didn't care. The airport fight scene was mostly dull rather than exciting. Crash crash bang crash bang crash yawn... When did superhero movies stop being fun? And more to the point, why? And why does it need to be so loooooooong? The only good thing about the whole film was Spider-Man.

Big

Ah, that's more like it! What a great film. Absolute bona fide classic. Still guaranteed to put a broad grin on my face. If Hanks had been up against anyone other than Hoffman, he'd have walked away with the Oscar.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #7008 on: 01 February, 2017, 01:58:27 pm »
Nah, comedy doesn't win Oscars, specially not back then.  That was the era of true Oscar bait.

Tis a good fillum though.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7009 on: 01 February, 2017, 04:53:07 pm »

Big

Ah, that's more like it! What a great film. Absolute bona fide classic. Still guaranteed to put a broad grin on my face. If Hanks had been up against anyone other than Hoffman, he'd have walked away with the Oscar.

I love that movie.

Super 8

Another lovely film with a childhood theme, it bears repeated watching and is full of charm.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #7010 on: 04 February, 2017, 12:53:06 am »
Escape Plan.

Stallone and Schwarzenegger team up to escape a very high security prison.

:facepalm:

It was bad, but not even so bad it rolled round to good again. One to avoid.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #7011 on: 04 February, 2017, 12:11:28 pm »
Old one last night.  Surprised I've not heard of this before (though it does ring a vague bell I suppose)

Antwone Fisher, a story about a US navy sailor with a temper who has to see a psychiatrist (Denzel Washington) due to his violent behaviour arising from anger issues.  Develops into a rather heartrending then heartwarming search to find the family who abandoned him as a child leaving him to a violent and a abusive care system.

Autobiographical as it turned out.  Written by the man himself.

Absolutely wonderful stuff.  I shall watch that again.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #7012 on: 04 February, 2017, 01:19:05 pm »
No Escape.

Tense stuff - but story somewhat flakey.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7013 on: 04 February, 2017, 01:21:13 pm »
Escape Plan.

Stallone and Schwarzenegger team up to escape a very high security prison.

:facepalm:

It was bad, but not even so bad it rolled round to good again. One to avoid.

Seen that.  With Arnie movies one does have to manage expectations a tad.   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #7014 on: 04 February, 2017, 04:44:23 pm »
That's the thing, most of the films of his I've seen I enjoyed even if they aren't good.

Running Man, Total Recall, Commando, Predator. All great fun.

Escape Plan, just meh.

« Reply #7015 on: 04 February, 2017, 05:17:22 pm »

Nah. Go and see it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7016 on: 04 February, 2017, 06:07:57 pm »
That's the thing, most of the films of his I've seen I enjoyed even if they aren't good.

And Terminator, of course.  Arnie's pretty good at playing a killer cyborg from the future.  It's just that he does that in all the other films, too.

« Reply #7017 on: 04 February, 2017, 07:11:34 pm »
Yeah I love the Terminator films on the whole. I haven't seen all of them but T1 and T2 are defnitely great.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7018 on: 04 February, 2017, 08:22:34 pm »
The Lady in The Van. I heart Alan Bennett.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7019 on: 04 February, 2017, 09:25:54 pm »
Arnie makes Dolph Lundgren and Steven Seagull look wooden.
It is simpler than it looks.

spindrift

« Reply #7020 on: 04 February, 2017, 11:17:45 pm »
Seagal's alright, my favourite film of his is that one where he punches all them people, and Under Seige 2 which has Katherine Heigl saying the line:

He's got medals so secret he can never show them to anyone!

« Reply #7021 on: 05 February, 2017, 12:15:06 am »
We watched Wrong which is by the same guy wot did Rubber.

Equally bonkers but more sedate.

Enjoyable, a good film for a mellow evening.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7022 on: 05 February, 2017, 01:20:26 pm »
Arnie makes Dolph Lundgren and Steven Seagull look wooden.

Careful now!  Being rude about Mr Seagal will make ian go off on one and we wouldn't want that now, would we?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7023 on: 05 February, 2017, 11:00:57 pm »
A Little Chaos. Not very good, but Alan Rickman is wonderful as Louis XIV.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7024 on: 06 February, 2017, 12:25:18 am »
In The Heat Of The Night

Dated but still a classic. Not bad for something made a half century ago.

Had to stand for the music at the beginning and end -  Peter will understand.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.