Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951208 times)

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7100 on: 13 February, 2017, 12:20:24 pm »
I might have gotten through the book back in my teens. I have a limited tolerance for multi-volume sci-fi tomes. The movie though, I always drift off (to sleep, to the kitchen, the pub).

Ah, just read the first, far and away the best - one of the best Sci-Fi books ever written imho
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7101 on: 13 February, 2017, 05:34:15 pm »
Toni Erdmann, on Friday, and it was great.

Tenderly funny and laugh-out-loud on several occasions. Sub-titled, so you have to concentrate, specially at my age and in a nice warm cozy cinema.

Saw that on Saturday and enjoyed it a great deal. As you say, some laugh-out-loud scenes and also some that were almost excruciatingly close to home (my wife kept muttering: 'he's just like my dad').  The staff party was hysterical - heaven knows how Sandra Huller played that in such a matter-of-fact way - and her attempt to get out of the dress was a wonderful bit of physical humour.  I was a little less enamoured of the scene with the cakes - what was that all about?- but overall a lot of boxes ticked.

I've read that there is a planned US version with jack Nicholson taking the lead role.  That's a fairly dreadful prospect  :facepalm:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7102 on: 13 February, 2017, 08:36:23 pm »
Battle Mountain: Graeme Obree's Story[/b found on iPlayer.

I distinctly heard the name 'Larrington' mentioned in relation to one of the chase cares!

Now watched the TV version and can confirm that the part of Long-Haired Oik Bending Over Table Filling In Form about 2 minutes in is played by meeeeeeee!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7103 on: 14 February, 2017, 01:22:01 am »
Saw the TV version but no stream available on Kodi for the cinema edit chiz.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #7104 on: 14 February, 2017, 09:03:17 am »
Toni Erdmann, on Friday, and it was great.

Tenderly funny and laugh-out-loud on several occasions. Sub-titled, so you have to concentrate, specially at my age and in a nice warm cozy cinema.

Saw that on Saturday and enjoyed it a great deal. As you say, some laugh-out-loud scenes and also some that were almost excruciatingly close to home (my wife kept muttering: 'he's just like my dad').  The staff party was hysterical - heaven knows how Sandra Huller played that in such a matter-of-fact way - and her attempt to get out of the dress was a wonderful bit of physical humour.  I was a little less enamoured of the scene with the cakes - what was that all about?- but overall a lot of boxes ticked.

Yes, the 'cake' episode was very uncomfortable but, I say: if you imagine (naturally as a sweeping statement) that's just how Germans are, then perhaps it's understandable. Actually, it's just weird.

I too heard Jack Nicholson's name mentioned, about an American version, which will be all about him, as an actor, rather than being able to lose oneself in the 'character'. I hadn't heard of Peter Simonischek before (been in 60 films) so had no preconceived acting opinions to label him with, and welcome that. It's a pity the Americans can't distribute the film over there. Not sure the reasons it can't be shown as is.

I've read that there is a planned US version with jack Nicholson taking the lead role.  That's a fairly dreadful prospect  :facepalm:
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7105 on: 15 February, 2017, 08:05:41 am »

Story-wise, Dune is essentially about a small planet rebelling against the schemings of a pan-galactic trade empire under the leadership of a young cult hero with powers he never knew he had, which is pretty much the same story as The Phantom Menace. And I know which of those two films I'd rather watch again.

A young cult hero is a member of one of those great families but also the premature culmination of a breeding programme that's being going on for centuries by a secretive group of super-nuns who have perfected a 'weirding way' of mind craft along with other forms of mind-technology elsewhere which is all needed because computers were banned many years ago by a 'Butlerian jihad' - hence they have trained 'computer guys' (mentats) and other weird organisations that do shit loads of weird stuff.  Including interstellar space pilots who are mutated beyond normal form because they need that 'Old spice melange' that is needed to trip out on to get the mind to do those incredible calculations needed for space travel.
Don't forget that the 'old spice' is only found on the desert plate Dune and it's mixed up with those sandwort thingies and that the natives are hard as nails because they live in that harsh environment which trumps the special fighting abilities of the Emperor's Sardaukar - whose harsh planet of origin is like paradise compared to the Desert of Dune.  Then there's the other major power-elites who've come along to fight for the only source of spice, plus CHOAM, Tleilaxu, Bene-Gesserit... my head is beginning to hurt now.

Yeah simples :P

You can boil any story down to Boy-meets-girl or whatever if you try hard enough - I struggle to think of a more complex series of books then Dune - though (as I've said elsewhere on here) - it does disappear somewhere up the copious backside of a giant half-human half Sandworm around book four and this person here, although he did struggle through the final ones - thought they got so complex they were almost incomprehensible by the end.

Anyway, sorry I'll STFU about Dune now  :-)

Having flogged my way through the entire series that's a pretty decent summary.

The first book was written about the impending ecological crises and in parallel with other more factual accounts like Silent Spring and had a pretty earnest message in there essentially "don't fuck with your eco system as you don't know what might happen", but after that it just got weird, and the final few books almost stood on their own and could have been read with no knowledge of the first.

I also had the first book as an audio book which was very good.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuzzy

« Reply #7106 on: 15 February, 2017, 10:51:58 pm »
Well the comics are very earnest if you have a look.

I liked Watchmen and Dark Knight. They were good stories. At least, I thought so when I read them, back when I was about 15.

My favourite superhero comic story ever was Zenith from 2000AD, which was both exciting and funny. Shame they never made a film of that. (Or maybe it's not such a shame, given the likely mess they would have made of it.)

If anyone out there in comic/ graphic novel land (recent or cough old) deserves a film then it is Harry Harrison's 2000AD utilised anti hero 'Slippery' Jim DeGriz AKA The Stainless Steel Rat.

caerau

« Reply #7107 on: 16 February, 2017, 03:44:56 pm »
I thought they were actually doing that....

« Reply #7108 on: 16 February, 2017, 04:21:54 pm »

I liked Watchmen and Dark Knight. They were good stories. At least, I thought so when I read them, back when I was about 15.

My favourite superhero comic story ever was Zenith from 2000AD, which was both exciting and funny. Shame they never made a film of that. (Or maybe it's not such a shame, given the likely mess they would have made of it.)

If anyone out there in comic/ graphic novel land (recent or cough old) deserves a film then it is Harry Harrison's 2000AD utilised anti hero 'Slippery' Jim DeGriz AKA The Stainless Steel Rat.
He's already getting a little old for it, but Colin Farrell would have been good for that. Looks shifty and sly without even trying.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7109 on: 16 February, 2017, 05:19:10 pm »

The 2000AD adaptations were a bit odd, as Carlos Ezquerra had obviously based his depiction of Slippery Jim on James Coburn. I've always preferred the Jim Burns paintings for the UK paperback editions of the books. For example:

The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted

The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge

A Stainless Steel Rat Is Born

He's already getting a little old for it, but Colin Farrell would have been good for that. Looks shifty and sly without even trying.

I can see where you're coming from - he'd be fine for adaptations of "The Stainless Steel Rat For President", or "The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You", where his twins sons join in the mayhem. Otherwise, Ryan Reynolds or Chris Pratt might work.

EDITED TO ADD

It's just struck me - Andrew Garfield would be perfect to play Slippery Jim in the earlier stories.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7110 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:30:49 am »

I always think he just looks worried.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7111 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:21:04 am »
The Beatles - Eight Days a Week

Fabulous watch (and listen, via the Hi-Fi).  There are no surprises here, we've seen and heard the documentaries and the music, but it has great sound and some unseen footage.

It's a great reminder of how special they were.  It's worth remembering that they were kids when they first shook the World. 
Will anyone produce a volume of work like that again I wonder?  Will anyone evolve musically like that again?

All done and dusted in just 10 years, from teenagers to twenty-somethings, from Please Please Me to Let it Be.

To put it in perspective, One-Direction have been going 7 years.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

fuzzy

« Reply #7112 on: 17 February, 2017, 01:40:52 pm »

The 2000AD adaptations were a bit odd, as Carlos Ezquerra had obviously based his depiction of Slippery Jim on James Coburn. I've always preferred the Jim Burns paintings for the UK paperback editions of the books. For example:

The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted

The Stainless Steel Rat's Revenge

A Stainless Steel Rat Is Born

I can see where you're coming from - he'd be fine for adaptations of "The Stainless Steel Rat For President", or "The Stainless Steel Rat Wants You", where his twins sons join in the mayhem. Otherwise, Ryan Reynolds or Chris Pratt might work.

EDITED TO ADD

It's just struck me - Andrew Garfield would be perfect to play Slippery Jim in the earlier stories.

I had that very cover on my copy of 'drafted'.

ElyDave

« Reply #7113 on: 17 February, 2017, 03:30:06 pm »
The Beatles - Eight Days a Week

Fabulous watch (and listen, via the Hi-Fi).  There are no surprises here, we've seen and heard the documentaries and the music, but it has great sound and some unseen footage.

It's a great reminder of how special they were.  It's worth remembering that they were kids when they first shook the World. 
Will anyone produce a volume of work like that again I wonder?  Will anyone evolve musically like that again?

All done and dusted in just 10 years, from teenagers to twenty-somethings, from Please Please Me to Let it Be.

To put it in perspective, One-Direction have been going 7 years.

I really detest the Beatles, a few decent songs written by those who never got the credit they deserved, fronted by that mediocrity Lennon.  McCartney did his best stuff post Beatles in my opinion.

I would say there are many bodies of work both better and longer lasting

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7114 on: 17 February, 2017, 03:50:11 pm »
I really detest the Beatles, a few decent songs written by those who never got the credit they deserved, fronted by that mediocrity Lennon.  McCartney did his best stuff post Beatles in my opinion.

"Wings? They're only the band the Beatles could have been."
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ElyDave

« Reply #7115 on: 17 February, 2017, 09:28:57 pm »
in particular I wish I could scrub my mind clean of the schoolboy pap that is "Imagine" and then the rest of everything written by Lennon, unfortunately short of opening my head and using a scrubbing brush plus bleach I think I'll have to live with it.

Live and Let Die was a classic

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7116 on: 17 February, 2017, 10:42:02 pm »
That's a piss take, right . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7117 on: 17 February, 2017, 10:56:29 pm »
Have I entered some strange parallel universe?   ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

ElyDave

« Reply #7118 on: 17 February, 2017, 10:56:46 pm »
I detest John Lennon

As the son of someone from Wallasey, that might be an unorthodox view, but I will defend it to the end.

« Reply #7119 on: 20 February, 2017, 12:33:41 pm »
I detest John Lennon

As the son of someone from Wallasey, that might be an unorthodox view, but I will defend it to the end.

So you don't actually like 'The Beatles' is what you are saying?
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7120 on: 20 February, 2017, 03:15:41 pm »
He's probably a Ruttles guy.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

« Reply #7121 on: 20 February, 2017, 04:05:48 pm »
It's an interesting point of view. Could be taken for posturing.

However, I partly agree with ElyDave. I have said before that Imagine is an incredibly overrated song - trite sixth-form idealism set to a dreary tune. For that matter, Come Together is pretty much a load of old rubbish, and I Am The Walrus is one of those songs that probably sounds better if you've taken whatever he was on when he wrote it.

On the other hand: Norwegian Wood, Help, Strawberry Fields...

caerau

« Reply #7122 on: 20 February, 2017, 04:58:24 pm »
Not liking a band is not the same as them being crap.

Calling them crap is a bit ummm .... well ... given their rampant and very much standing the test of time - success, and their influence on others,  I think it's a bit of a stretch to say they're crap even if you do hate them.

Though as soon as I type that I think of Cliff Richard  :facepalm:

Weren't we supposed to be talking about fillums?  I have no tolerance for topic drift  :demon: ;)

caerau

« Reply #7123 on: 20 February, 2017, 05:00:01 pm »
To be fair, you do just say you detest them, so that's fine :)

citoyen

« Reply #7124 on: 20 February, 2017, 05:09:16 pm »
Not liking a band is not the same as them being crap.

Crapness in anything artistic is largely subjective, so ultimately it amounts to pretty much the same thing.

To get back on topic, the same applies to films.