Author Topic: Brooks Saddle Care  (Read 1042 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Brooks Saddle Care
« on: 16 June, 2020, 06:11:28 pm »
I have a decade old Brookes saddle thats never really been looked after. But the other day I caught the saddle in the sun and it's looking a bit sad. What can I do to help it a bit?

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Re: Brooks Saddle Care
« Reply #1 on: 16 June, 2020, 06:20:06 pm »
I soaked two of my saddles in hot water for a few hours. Then let then dry in a warm dark place. They naturally took their original shape, and after a little leather conditioner they have been great ever since. I wound the nose nut out again, and the saddle contracted as it dried. This was the water after 6 hours soaking in hot water. I didn't use booking water, just hand hot, then left it.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 16 June, 2020, 06:34:56 pm »
Was the heat maintained or just left to cool? How bad of a condition does mine look? I'm a heavy lad at 118kg so worried about softening the leather too much.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Dave_C

« Reply #3 on: 16 June, 2020, 06:38:26 pm »
I left the water to cool. The hot water simply helps to reshape the saddle leather. Once the saddle is dry, treat sparingly with leather conditioner, and then refit.

The hot water is simply to bring the leather saddle's shape back.

My brown leather saddle had completely flattened and was very comfy but no good for anything over 30km as it rubbed my thighs. The black saddle was slightly higher on one side and reshaped nicely after the soak and dry.

Dave C

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 June, 2020, 10:24:39 pm »
Thanks!

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2020, 07:22:44 am »
Just rub Proofide into top and bottom by hand, then ride.

The biggest risk is tearing the leather by riding on a dried-out saddle.  People have done this and the nose has ripped off.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #6 on: 17 June, 2020, 09:48:50 pm »
It's an interesting idea, soaking Brooks saddles, but sounds a bit drastic.  I'd give it the proofide treatment first and only soak if that fails.

I've a saddle over 20 years old and another that's 17 both in great condition with just proofiding.  Not very often, either.   I proofide only the top and just leave it for a few hours but I don't see why you shouldn't proofide both sides if you want.

People are fearful about the saddle getting wet but I guess they get pretty damp with sweat over a long ride.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Dave_C

« Reply #7 on: 17 June, 2020, 10:57:41 pm »
I soaked my saddles as they spent some of their time wet. The saddles did not come with covers and eventually sagged quiet a lot. I'm sure others have covers from new, I got some foc from Brooks when I complained. Maybe yours have not sagged? Each person has a different experience with their saddles and maybe they have never go wet.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 22 June, 2020, 07:08:06 pm »
Proofhide ordered. I've opted not to hydrate via the soaking method for now just incase it makes it too slack.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #9 on: 22 June, 2020, 07:42:05 pm »
You can clean with saddle soap before applying Proofhide.
Never knowingly under caffeinated