Author Topic: Photographing bodies - tips?  (Read 2796 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Photographing bodies - tips?
« on: 15 February, 2010, 01:12:19 pm »
Say I had a body I wanted to photograph.  No, not a dead one.  What's the deal with lighting to show off the contours and so on of the human bod?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: Photographing bodies - tips?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2010, 01:32:26 pm »
Keylight, fill light.  Oblique angles and hard light are cruel to skin with blemishes or pimples.  Point source makes a hard light, broad source makes a soft light.  Hit Creative Cow for endless discussion of lighting and other tech, or any of several photography forums.

Traditional TV lighting in it's simplest sense uses a Keylight to see the subject, Fill light to adjust the contrast and modelling, and a Backlight to create a 3D lighting space around the subject to separate them from the backing, but the type of lights used and the varying degrees of hard/soft are a source of endless different opinions - that's why there are so many lighting directors!

Photography, especially monochrome, may use something as simple as a window and a reflector or bounce board to achieve suitable results.  It's going to depend on who/what you're shooting.  Big sheets of white polystyrene could be your friend!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2010, 01:36:18 pm »
Mapplethorpe would give some good examples, although no explanation of how the bodies were lit.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 15 February, 2010, 02:09:28 pm »
Thanks Shifty, will take that and google with it.  :)

(amazing how one term can start the search chain.  key light, eh?  Key light - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 15 February, 2010, 02:39:38 pm »
Wanting to beat Richard Desmond at his own game, eh Andy?   ;)

;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 15 February, 2010, 04:13:25 pm »
Mapplethorpe would give some good examples, although no explanation of how the bodies were lit.

I have a book of Mapplethorpe photographs I wish to sell... ;)
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 15 February, 2010, 04:58:50 pm »
I remember finding a Mapplethorpe book in a charity shop.  Ooh, nice photos, I thought, not knowing anything about him, and then bam! there's a man in a suit with a enormous willy sticking out of it.

The nice shop lady grinned. ;D

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #7 on: 15 February, 2010, 08:30:41 pm »
Now I'm back home, I'll add that lighting, whilst based strongly in science (illuminance, reflectivity, f-stops, depth of field, etc) is very much an art form.  Many people can 'see' what they want in their imagination, but it's sometimes hard to achieve that on a screen.  Once you've recorded a picture in a certain way, you've nearly always limited what you can do in post-production (e.g. Photoshop), and although that's getting less and less true if you record RAW images, in-camera effects and filters can be hard to undo.

amazing how one term can start the search chain.  key light, eh?

Ah, Grasshopper, remember that Confucius says: Know your target audience...  ;D
L
Windcheetah No. 176

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 15 February, 2010, 08:48:18 pm »
I'm mostly looking to graduate from "bad snap" to "good snap" here...  O:-)

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #9 on: 15 February, 2010, 10:04:09 pm »
The Wikipedia page is ok as a one-line introduction, but misses some detail.

Get an egg and paint a face on it.
Give it a sticky-out nose, using Blu-tack or similar.

...I'm serious...

Three lamps - LED bike lamps will probably do, but ideally dimmable lamps would help.  You can use distance to control the amount of light hitting the subject - inverse square law and all that - if you can't dim them, but this will limit what you can do.

Put a bedsheet on a table, and support one end a few feet above - trap it with something - so that you have a smooth curve dropping down continuously from vertical to flat surface.

Put the egg in an egg-cup on the flat area of sheet.  You'll be shooting towards the vertical wall (cyclorama) you've made.

Key light goes in front, somewhere above and to one side of the camera, above the egg 'head' height, pointing downwards to hit the 'face.'  The shadow created by the nose must not hit the mouth - this is why you need a sticky-out nose on your model.  Strictly, the shadow should not pass outside the area bounded by the outer edges of the eyes and the lips.  The key might be a hard light from a point source.  Alternatively you could use tracing paper to diffuse the light and make it softer.  That's not strictly the same as a soft light (as that's more to do with the area of the source) but will suffice for experiment.  However you key, you don't want to throw a shadow on the cyc.

Fill light comes from the opposite side to the key.  This will normally be softer than the key.  The more fill there is, the less contrast there is.
Angle?  If you're the egg, looking out of the picture, the key light will normally be within 30-60o either side of the centre line, and the fill will be more-or-less equal and opposite.  The fill may be similar in height to the key, but that's not strictly necessary.  Key lights can be from the 'wrong' angle too - just think how many times you see somebody in a dark room in a drama, hit using an oblique slash of light which just picks out the edge of their cheekbone.  Which side to key from ?  aah, that depends.   Welcome to art class.  ::-)

Look through the camera viewfinder - you may think all is well.  You have a face lit from one side, which gives modelling to the surface.  The fill from the other side stops the shaded side being too dark, without losing the modelling effect.

You're missing the back light.  These are nonobvious, and require a quick history(mythology) lesson:  In the grand old days of monochrome film, hair was a shade of grey, but so were the walls.  How do you gain separation between subject and backdrop when they're both similar shades?  Depth of field only helps some of the time (e.g. when there's a backdrop with a pattern).  Thus, the invention of the backlight, which shines forwards from above and behind the subject, and glances off the top of their head.  This gives a tiny kick to the hair, which now stands out from the background.  Why do we still use them now we have colour?  because they work.

When you add the third lamp, your egg will truly be revealed in all its glory.  If you play with the key light's angle, particularly glancing the side of the egg, you'll see what happens to skin when it's hit obliquely, and every little undulation in the surface becomes a crater.  Then you can try filling the craters in with the other lamp.

Here endeth Shifty's lighting 101.  If you want chapter and verse, I'd recommend Gerald Millerson's book "Lighting for Television and Film" from Focal Press, which contains more information than even I need to know about lighting!

Of course, you could just put your subject by a window (key) and use a big board of white polystyrene to bounce-fill the indoor side, but that would be too easy...
L
Windcheetah No. 176

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 16 February, 2010, 11:33:43 pm »
the strobist blog is a great place to start.

I'll just dissect a photo for you.

Here I use three flash guns in a 'hard' style. Two behind and pointing forwards at 45 degrees highight the edges, just far enough forward that there aren't too strong shadows on the face.

The fill is a large softbox at floor level (I didn't have the stand to get the softbox up high)   The aim of a fill is to 'fill' the shadow areas and reduce contrast.

Key provides shape. Fill controls contrast. Hair/back lights provide hard lit edges to give separation from the background.

If you go off camera flash then it is time to worry about balancing and controlling ambient etc.

This picture

Has two flash guns pointing in opposite directions and balanced to get separation, fake sunset (with an orange gel) and a less intense fill (with a half orange filter).

What you don't see is the half an hour spent pratting around with stands, filters, triggers and readjusting to get the balance and angle right. Throw away 20 shots, keep that one.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #11 on: 16 February, 2010, 11:40:45 pm »
This is really interesting.  I've got a lot of experience in theatre & concert lighting, creating or enhancing spectacle at a distance, but the particular discipline of lighting for a camera, with its particular, and critical, point of view, is a different set of challenges.
Getting there...

David Martin

« Reply #12 on: 16 February, 2010, 11:59:10 pm »
The strobist blog is really good. The Christopher Grey books on studio lighting are also good.

..d

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #13 on: 17 February, 2010, 01:06:51 pm »
What you don't see is the half an hour spent pratting around with stands, filters, triggers and readjusting to get the balance and angle right. Throw away 20 shots, keep that one.

Which is, of course, why my job often consists of long waits, punctuated by moments of intense concentration.

When I'm racking cameras, I have to expose and colour balance all the cameras on a shoot.  This may be as little as 1,2, or 3 on a drama such as Coro St, or as many as 8 on the Kyle show - LE shows and quiz shows may be 10 cameras.  More than that and you need a second pair of eyes (and hands!).  Camera balance depends upon lighting, and so I sit next to and work with the LD on a shoot.  The Street is paced so that lighting is set whilst the artists rehearse, then we rehearse on camera, and then shoot the scene - which may be three or more setups depending upon which way round we're shooting: Drama sets are often three walls, with the camera where the missing wall would be.  As soon as you want to shoot the reverses, the fourth wall has to be set in, and one of the others removed.  Then you have to relight for the opposite direction - and it has to match what you've just shot.  This is truly time-consuming.

Apart from David's shots above (I love the fake sunset!) we haven't even begun to mention lighting the background yet...   ;D
L
Windcheetah No. 176

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 18 February, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »
*furtles about with desk lamps*

Oh yeah, the two forward lamps give shape and the rear lamp lifts the subject from the background.  I note flaws aplenty even so - the backlight has made shadows all over the wall, and the high light has set the brow and nose in deep shadow.  I like the brow, not the nose.

It's a damn sight better than the built-in flash, mind.   ;D

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #15 on: 18 February, 2010, 10:30:31 pm »
Bloody hell, they found a survivor from Scott's expidition!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

David Martin

« Reply #16 on: 19 February, 2010, 09:04:54 am »
Turn the rear lamp round so it lights your head instead of the wall.
Move the front lamp forward, right and down a fraction to just fill under the brow..

Have fun  :)