Author Topic: Useful free gift in next weeks AP  (Read 2085 times)

Useful free gift in next weeks AP
« on: 04 July, 2010, 01:26:26 pm »
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Photographers_rights_campaign_spawns_lens_cloth_launch_news_299405.html

It's been a long time since I bought Amateur Pronographer but I'll pick this issue up, just in case!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Useful free gift in next weeks AP
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2010, 01:44:09 pm »
Ooh, that's going to annoy the plod.  :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2010, 01:58:32 pm »
What would be the definition of a public place?

I recently saw a guy getting serious hassle at Heathrow T5 for taking pictures just airside of the security screening area. As far as I could tell he had taken some photos of his friends still in the queues, but was harassed by two large, armed and  uniformed gents, whose loudly expressed opinion was that photography of police or security personnel was forbidden and that he should delete all of the pictures in question.

I would say that taking pictures in that area was foolish, but the police reaction was over the top and heavy handed.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2010, 08:38:46 pm »
I'd guess public = anywhere not private?

Train stations, airports, pubs etc are all privately owned so can restrict what you're allowed to do. I think officially train companies don't mind photos being taken if you're not in the way, whether the station staff agree is another matter. And if you do take photos I think technically you're guilty of trespass, but can't be forced to delete anything.
I am nothing and should be everything

« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2010, 08:44:25 pm »
I'm not really sure how they can request you to delete photographs.  If it is illegal, then surely that's destroying evidence?

I may have to get a copy of the magazine though. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »
Nice.

I got asked to delete some photos (of a bike rack) I took at a Large Construction Project in Stratford, E15. As I was on private land at the time I complied.

My grate friend Nic said "you can count yourself as a pro now" as he undeleted them for me.

Question for them that know: OK, taking photos of people and things in public is generally not subject to restriction. Thus I can snap away at a FNRTTC without let or hinderance.  Does the same freedom extend to publishing those photos? Am I free to bung them up on Teh Intarwebs without worry or permission of the subjects?  I'd say yes, but what do I know?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2010, 09:03:11 pm »
Police or security guards don't have the right to demand deletion without a court order, and anyway, you can recover deleted photos, so it's nonsensical.

You are free to publish photos of people and things taken from public places, except for certain exceptions.  Google for specifics.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 04 July, 2010, 09:06:29 pm »
Good one.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2010, 04:11:46 pm »

I am suitably annoyed Andy.

Just explain to me WHY I am annoyed please ;)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2010, 04:22:40 pm »

I am suitably annoyed Andy.

Just explain to me WHY I am annoyed please ;)

You're not the plod, you're one of us in disguise!  :)

It's going to annoy the Met when someone waves this at 'em.  As bad as quoting the Highway Code to a driver...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #10 on: 07 July, 2010, 10:05:30 pm »

Suspected of being a terrorist, young photographer is detained, again - British Journal of Photography

Someone is trying to make a point....

Now this lad isn't your average snapper, he's the son of Paul Mattsson, a well known photographer, the chap who took these  ...
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark