Author Topic: Undocumented features on cameras  (Read 1407 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Undocumented features on cameras
« on: 04 December, 2011, 08:29:50 pm »
Face recognition is now standard on just about all compacts but I've spotted a new feature on a Canon A495 - number plate recognition.

This camera takes a few seconds to sort itself out when switched on, especially if you're moving (which is really annoying*) and for this shot it was still unfocused when I took it (over my shoulder and cycling away from the car).

The manual doesn't mention number plate recognition so I'm impressed at it highlighting the registration.  Perhaps the local Safety Team should buy some instead of Gatso's.

* I've just replaced it with an Ixus 115 which is much faster.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Undocumented features on cameras
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »
Is that not camera shake, rather than out of focus, and the number plate appears sharp because it's illuminated by the flash for a small fraction of the exposure time?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2011, 08:35:28 pm »
What Kim said.  The number plate is retro-reflective so it catches the flash more than anything else.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2011, 08:45:27 pm »
Dunno.  I'm certain the flash wasn't activated. 

Although it always seems to be the case that if I take a photo as soon as I've switched it on, it's blurred, but if I leave it 5-10 seconds later, it's OK.  Not such a good thing when you're trying to cycle as well.  Perhaps it's because the image stabilisation on the camera hasn't kicked in?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
Your bike light on?

Built-in thermometer is my favourite undocumented feature.

Stick a RAW file through a program called PhotoMe.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2011, 09:02:43 pm »
The EXIF data says: Flash: 89.
Google says on flash exif codes: “89″ => “Flash fired, auto mode, red-eye reduction mode”
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #6 on: 04 December, 2011, 09:25:05 pm »
Well that clears that one up then.   :thumbsup:

No genius software, just a crap camera which takes a long time for its image stabilisation to kick in.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 04 December, 2011, 09:47:47 pm »
No genius software, just a crap camera which takes a long time for its image stabilisation to kick in.

Or waits for the flash to charge before allowing you to shoot.