Author Topic: Badger badger badger  (Read 2977 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Badger badger badger
« on: 17 July, 2010, 02:16:11 pm »
I was in Waterstone's, Redhill yesterday, and spied a book called "The Tree House Diaries" by Nick Weston. As I picked it up to nose through it, a nice young man loomed at my left shoulder and said it was a very good book. It was the author.  We talked a great deal - I mentioned Charlotte's woodburning stove, which he thought was dead good.

Anyway...

In it he has a section on how he cooked a roadkill badger, by making it into burgers.

I may have a go. One day.

(I think the badger needs to be fresher than this one.)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Badger badger badger
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2010, 03:05:16 pm »
Wow!  I came across his blog when I was doing research for my stove!

I'd love to meet the guy - he seems really sorted.  I'd love to buy a bit of land somewhere and build an off-grid home-from-home one day.

Not sure about the badger, though...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2010, 06:56:14 pm »
A rural friend and amateur poacher once replied in surprise, "Have you never tasted badger?"

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2010, 08:22:55 pm »
I've tasted beaver!!   ;)
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #4 on: 17 July, 2010, 09:07:07 pm »
A rural friend and amateur poacher once replied in surprise, "Have you never tasted badger?"

An old work colleague of mine used to play skittles for his local in the outskirts of Bristol. Sometimes their away games took them to the wilder parts of Somerset, and the tradition is that the hosting pub offers sandwiches for the players. After consuming one such sandwich, he was told it had come from a black and white coloured mammal, and we're not talking Friesan cows!

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2010, 11:19:24 am »
Do roadkill badgers have a lot of fleas? I once picked up a hedgehog and got covered in the bloody things.
I fancy a badger skull or 2 - one to go on my sporran when sporting the kilt! I had not thought of eating them - I thought they ate shite so might taste a bit rank.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #6 on: 18 July, 2010, 11:20:40 am »
Do roadkill badgers have a lot of fleas? I once picked up a hedgehog and got covered in the bloody things.

Hedgehogs can't scratch.

« Reply #7 on: 18 July, 2010, 11:35:42 am »

Hedgehogs can't scratch.

You have obviously only ever picked one up with gloves on.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #8 on: 18 July, 2010, 11:41:34 am »
Hedgehogs are notoriously flea ridden.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2010, 12:40:30 pm »

Hedgehogs can't scratch.

You have obviously only ever picked one up with gloves on.

;D ;D ;D

« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2010, 12:54:44 pm »
Hedgehogs are notoriously flea ridden.

Some years ago my parents attempted to disentangle a hedgehog from the netting over their strawberries, but in the end had to take it to the local vets.  He quickly dosed it with anaesthetic (gas) so that they could remove all the netting once it relaxed and unrolled.  It also left the hedgehog parasite free, since the small dose of anaesthetic killed all the fleas, ticks etc which fell off onto the tabletop that the hedgehog was on, a whole lot of them!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #11 on: 19 July, 2010, 02:13:32 pm »

I'd love to meet the guy - he seems really sorted.  I'd love to buy a bit of land somewhere and build an off-grid home-from-home one day.

You want to buy my boat?  Comes with not-yet fitted wind turbine, not-yet-fitted AC genny thing and potential for lekky from water power.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #12 on: 19 July, 2010, 03:16:36 pm »
Badgers mostly eat earthworms and baby bunnies, not shite.  :)

I've got two badger skulls.  One was naturally flensed (we found it all picked by crows, just tendons, and it entered our LARP pantheon as the Badgerlich); the other was buried in a corner of a garden, then cleaned.  I have one on my front door.  They look ace - the saggital crest and non-obvious eye sockets make them look like Alien skulls.  The family resemblance to the wolverine is especially obvious.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 19 July, 2010, 04:55:00 pm »

You want to buy my boat?  Comes with not-yet fitted wind turbine, not-yet-fitted AC genny thing and potential for lekky from water power.

As a sailor, I'd be a complete liability.  Nah, give me a nice bit of forest, a jar of woad and a gert big axe  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 19 July, 2010, 06:02:03 pm »

What kind of boat?
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #15 on: 19 July, 2010, 06:31:20 pm »

What kind of boat?

I think it wouldn't much cop in big sea.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #16 on: 19 July, 2010, 08:08:54 pm »
What kind of boat?
I have a glorified lilo ;)

« Reply #17 on: 19 July, 2010, 08:48:00 pm »
What kind of boat?
I have a glorified lilo ;)
I think I'm losing the ability to type coherently.

« Reply #18 on: 19 July, 2010, 11:43:49 pm »

Stern - from downstream

big version
(click to show/hide)

On deck this winter.

What kind of boat?
<i>Marmite slave</i>