Author Topic: BBC Chocolate Advertising  (Read 2402 times)

clarion

• Tyke
BBC Chocolate Advertising
« on: 28 April, 2011, 01:37:46 pm »
Nestle are getting a free puff piece on Radio 4 now about their use of Fairtrade cocoa in some of their products.  Not sure what the programme is, but it is very positive for the company.

They have mentioned that the Fairtrade content is a small portion of the output, but there's been no mention of any other ethical concerns about Nestle. >:(

Baby Milk Action
Getting there...

Re: BBC Chocolate Advertising
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2011, 01:41:10 pm »
Probably because it was a program about Cocoa not about general morals in the corporate world.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2011, 01:59:33 pm »
Yes, but it was, as I say, a big free puff for Nestle.  Cadburys or Green & Blacks do a lot more Fairtrade...
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2011, 02:15:44 pm »
They did have a good record and still do but their parent company Kraft Foods doesn't believe in Fairtrade and has publicly said so. Its a shame really as Green and Blacks were really good on ethics.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2011, 02:20:41 pm »
How fairtrade is the cocoa?

Also why don't they use fair trade palm oil or other ingredients

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2011, 02:28:50 pm »
Yes, but it was, as I say, a big free puff for Nestle.  Cadburys or Green & Blacks do a lot more Fairtrade...

It sounded like a big free puff for Fairtrade to me. That's good, innit?

(I missed the beginning, and actually didn't know it was a Nestle person talking. You've ruined my day now! ;) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2011, 02:48:35 pm »
OK, I am biased.  I am very happy for the good PR for Fairtrade.  Actually, matt, they interviewed a number of different people, but the opening sections were on Nestle.  So it may have been someone from a more ethical organisation you heard. ;)

Lynx, Fairtrade is a set of standards.  You might feel they fall short of an ideal.  I do.  But they're a very good compromise, and much much better than the 'normal' trade terms.

Have a look
Getting there...

iakobski

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »
They did have a good record and still do but their parent company Kraft Foods doesn't believe in Fairtrade and has publicly said so. Its a shame really as Green and Blacks were really good on ethics.

Green & Blacks only had one fair trade bar, the Maya Gold, all the rest were organic but not fair trade. Yes, when they started G&B were trailblazing for ethical trading, but while under Cadburys - from 2005 - not a lot hapenned. Under Kraft they are now going for fair trade across the whole range.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2011, 03:52:40 pm »
OK, I am biased.  I am very happy for the good PR for Fairtrade.  Actually, matt, they interviewed a number of different people, but the opening sections were on Nestle.  So it may have been someone from a more ethical organisation you heard. ;)

Lynx, Fairtrade is a set of standards.  You might feel they fall short of an ideal.  I do.  But they're a very good compromise, and much much better than the 'normal' trade terms.

Have a look

I see the fairtrade rules, but have seen how hard they are circumvent.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:13:08 pm »
Meanwhile, I was watching a film with my son - can't remember what, but something Disney - and there was blatant product placement for Twix (which I think is also Nestle, though that's not the main point). It didn't seem to work in this case, as he didn't mention it, thankfully.

Correction: It was Planet 51, which is a Sony title, not Disney.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »
Meanwhile, I was watching a film with my son - can't remember what, but something Disney - and there was blatant product placement for Twix (which I think is also Nestle, though that's not the main point). It didn't seem to work in this case, as he didn't mention it, thankfully.

That is f*cking discusting.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2011, 10:35:58 pm »
It's increasingly common with all sorts of products and films from many/most studios. Maybe even including the BBC, though I can't think of any examples. In this particular case it was just exceedingly blatant.

Thinking about it, he's probably never had a Twix, which could well be why it didn't click with him.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:06:41 pm »
Complete derail, really that is appalling as I thought advertising to kids was band.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:12:33 pm »
I think there are restrictions in the UK but I don't know the details, and I believe there's a total ban on TV advertising to kids under a certain age (5?) in France.
But:
-a product shown in a film is merely adding realism (yeah, even in a film about talking toys or space aliens or whatever)
-the name was not mentioned, only shown
-the film was not made or bought in the UK so specific laws are not applicable (possibly that scene is cut or reshot/reanimated for UK)
-if none of the above, the studio and manufacturer will find some other wriggle clause

« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:29:36 pm »

That is f*cking discusting.
Yeah, kit-kat's much nicer.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #15 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:38:08 pm »
I think there are restrictions in the UK but I don't know the details, and I believe there's a total ban on TV advertising to kids under a certain age (5?) in France.
But:
-a product shown in a film is merely adding realism (yeah, even in a film about talking toys or space aliens or whatever)
-the name was not mentioned, only shown
-the film was not made or bought in the UK so specific laws are not applicable (possibly that scene is cut or reshot/reanimated for UK)
-if none of the above, the studio and manufacturer will find some other wriggle clause

We are so advanced as a civilisation.....

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 02 May, 2011, 02:44:14 pm »
I was unfairly casting aspersions on Disney earlier. Turns out it was a Sony film.

That said, product placement is a very common practice among many (most?) Hollywood (and other) studios.